Advent Activities 2014 - what did you do?

Oh look, it's broadly a place to talk about special occasions, party tips and to swap present ideas but let's be perfectly honest, this forum is here because I want to get excited about CHRIIIIIISTMAS from about June onwards.

Re: Advent Activities 2014 - what did you do?

Postby ToothFairy » 15 Dec 2014, 23:16

I've been really good this year, but not updated here, so I have a lot to add!!

1 - Letter to Father Christmas
2 - Put up trees in bedrooms
3 - Make paper baubles (kit from Wilkos)
4 - Make paper chains
5 - Christmas lights switch on
6 - Make mince pies (I cheated and bought ready rolled puff pastry, when Martha got home from her Dad's she said "but they're not proper mince pies")
7 - Make sewn decorations (Wilkos again)
8 - Read Aliens Love Panta Claus (Dylan had a party to go to)
9 - Make melted bead decorations
10 - Decorate wooden decorations (I picked up some plain wooden shapes at a craft fair, we covered them in glitter!)
11 - Watch a Christmas film
12 - Make snowflakes (the only real failure so far)
13 - Have christmassy hot chocolate/mulled apple juice
14 - Decorate the tree
15 - Make Chritmassy Lego models

Tomorrow's activity is making gingerbread stars, the gingerbread dough is made and in the fridge as I'll be at work.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby LucyLastic » 15 Dec 2014, 23:55

I've been looking at this thread wishing I was organised enough to do some of the great things on here. But no, spending two weeks with my poorly sister has scuppered most of my plans. However, I did get C a dusky rose pink tinsel tree from Tesco and she has decorated it this evening with a couple of dozen baubles. I think we shall 'relive that joy' on a daily basis until it goes in the loft! I just know some of you are shuddering at the thought of a pink tinsel tree, but she does love pink. And tinsel. And it was £2.50 with free delivery to store which, frankly, was the deciding point... I figured we can fully embrace Christmas and decorations each year until it is completely tat-tastic :-)

For the sake of complete honesty, I have made lots of sewn decorations and am currently knitting C a red pillowcase (who has the time for heel and toe shaping?!) with a white turn down for Christmas morning. C's contribution has been to 'leave Mummy's things alone' and she has been brilliant at it.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby emzit » 16 Dec 2014, 00:30

Yesterday we made Christmas bell shakers which errr brilliant. Easy and look great. Muncher enjoyed making them (with a LOT of help) and donated the finished shakers to squish and a baby friend so everyone's had a piece if that. Today is childcare day so muncher will be making a card for the staff tonight ready to give to them tomorrow as it's his last day for the year.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby qbm » 16 Dec 2014, 19:48

TF I love puff pastry mince pies!! And who makes their own puff pastry anyway? :)

We watched The Snowman under a blanket with popcorn on Sunday which was lovely. Yesterday we made jingle bell bracelets and they were a massive success. They really do look fab. SG just kept making them until we ran out of jingle bells and then she decided to just do pony beads on their own (and whinged that they didn't jungle :D). In fact as soon as she got up this morning, before breakfast, she had started making more pony bead bracelets. I've picked her up some more jingle bells...

This morning we did the footprint tree which was great fund and WB could properly join in too. We were out all afternoon though and SG is at nursery for the next two days so decorating it will have to wait. Great idea. Thanks!
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby sparkling » 18 Dec 2014, 09:20

Need to trawl this thread for inspiration, it's been going well so far but I seem to have crossed out almost everything on my list and have no idea what to do today/tomorrow!

So far we've done:
1- make a new tree to stick our activity cards on (I have coloured laminated circles with numbers on front, I write activity on back, we had a card tree for last 2 years but it didn't survive to this year!)
2- paper snowflakes. A big success, Jiglet did it completely independently for first time and Bell enjoyed playing with scissors and didn't care she hadn't made anything...
3 - lights and music bath
4- watch Father Christmas film with hot choc. Not a great success, they'd have preferred to stick to the Snowman...
5 - Christmas play dough
6 - nativity bunting, a colouring activity from Poundland. Still not finished as they like the idea of colouring but get bored quickly
7 - watch daddy run 10K and eat his christmas pudding prize
8 - Christmas fuzzy felt, ok but it came from a christmas fair at school last year and has a fairly random assortment of bits!
9 - make wrapping paper. We used stamps and paint, they enjoyed it but stressful for me and results fairly dreadful, little one just liked spreading paint everywhere. We'll use it anyway.
10 - letters to Father Christmas and sticker books
11 - Christmas dancing with ribbons/disco lights I borrowed from work :-)
12 - read Christmas story and set up crib
13 - buy Christmas tree with Daddy
14 - decorate tree
15 - make tiffin for teachers/nursery staff
16 - make cards (still need some more but enthusiasm may have waned!)
17 - paper chains - poundland again. Jiglet did by herself, Bell loved licking!

Nipping into town now for some present shopping so will look at wilkos or somewhere and see if I can find something quick for next couple of nights after school, got ideas for weekend and holidays.
sparkling

Postby sparkling » 18 Dec 2014, 09:23

MilkyJoe wrote:Day 9: Christmas tree playdough - all fine except that I forgot I had thrown out my good food colours and had to make it green using the Onken blue and yellow gel from the cupboard which, as it turns out, doesn't make green!

Haha! It also turns out that blue and red food dye do not make purple, but a rather unpleasant brown.... Don't know if the glitter improved it or not but they haven't asked to play with it again!
sparkling

Postby emzit » 18 Dec 2014, 11:12

Where am I up to...?

Wednesday we did... something.
Thursday we did... something else.
Today we had a buddy round and they did a treasure hunt and were supposed to do Christmas pasting but muncher only glued his chocolate coin wrappers and ignored everything else and the buddy just played octonauts. Then in the afternoon muncher was supposed to watch Muppet Christmas Carol - my favourite Christmas movie - while I packed but got bored and wanted Thomas instead.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby emzit » 18 Dec 2014, 11:14

Ok, my days are muddled. That's why I can't remember properly.

Wednesday was candy cane reindeer making and today is Thursday not Friday. Tomorrow we fly to my parents sleep he gets Christmas stickers for the airport/plane and then gets to help fish decorating their tree.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby qbm » 18 Dec 2014, 12:53

sparkling wrote:
MilkyJoe wrote:Day 9: Christmas tree playdough - all fine except that I forgot I had thrown out my good food colours and had to make it green using the Onken blue and yellow gel from the cupboard which, as it turns out, doesn't make green!

Haha! It also turns out that blue and red food dye do not make purple, but a rather unpleasant brown.... Don't know if the glitter improved it or not but they haven't asked to play with it again!

:D

I got OH to buy green on the way home so we managed to rescue it!

Christmas jammies yesterday and dancing to Christmas music plus donating to charity today - easy nursery days.
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby sparkling » 23 Dec 2014, 10:05

For the sake of next year I'm going to put the rest of mine on here so I can remember what was good

18- snowman film and bath with lush snowman 'fun'
19- Christmas puzzles (dot to dot, wordsearch etc)
20- watch 'the cow who almost missed Christmas' and party at friend's house
21- Christmas visit and dinner with grandad
22- make mince pies. Horribly stressful with 2 but turned out ok!
23- snowman pancakes for breakfast, went down well
24- Depending how ready I am for arrival of family either go to local ice cream farm or watch dvd of last year's nativity.
sparkling wrote:Need to trawl this thread for inspiration, it's been going well so far but I seem to have crossed out almost everything on my list and have no idea what to do today/tomorrow!

So far we've done:
1- make a new tree to stick our activity cards on (I have coloured laminated circles with numbers on front, I write activity on back, we had a card tree for last 2 years but it didn't survive to this year!)
2- paper snowflakes. A big success, Jiglet did it completely independently for first time and Bell enjoyed playing with scissors and didn't care she hadn't made anything...
3 - lights and music bath
4- watch Father Christmas film with hot choc. Not a great success, they'd have preferred to stick to the Snowman...
5 - Christmas play dough
6 - nativity bunting, a colouring activity from Poundland. Still not finished as they like the idea of colouring but get bored quickly
7 - watch daddy run 10K and eat his christmas pudding prize
8 - Christmas fuzzy felt, ok but it came from a christmas fair at school last year and has a fairly random assortment of bits!
9 - make wrapping paper. We used stamps and paint, they enjoyed it but stressful for me and results fairly dreadful, little one just liked spreading paint everywhere. We'll use it anyway.
10 - letters to Father Christmas and sticker books
11 - Christmas dancing with ribbons/disco lights I borrowed from work :-)
12 - read Christmas story and set up crib
13 - buy Christmas tree with Daddy
14 - decorate tree
15 - make tiffin for teachers/nursery staff
16 - make cards (still need some more but enthusiasm may have waned!)
17 - paper chains - poundland again. Jiglet did by herself, Bell loved licking!

Nipping into town now for some present shopping so will look at wilkos or somewhere and see if I can find something quick for next couple of nights after school, got ideas for weekend and holidays.
sparkling

Postby emzit » 23 Dec 2014, 19:13

We are still going strong. Saturday we made mini Christmas houses out of biscuits - my mum got muncher upset by not listening to him and cutting the house the wrong way and I made her do a meaningful apology to him. Sunday was paper chains, Monday a peg decoration kit which went down really well. Yesterday we made a Christmas sandman at the beach. Today we are decorating an ikea gingerbread house. And our advent house has 25 boxes so tomorrow it will have a little choc Santa and the activity will be to have a nice Christmas.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby sabrina fair » 23 Dec 2014, 19:31

I'll probably forget some but:

- paper chains from last year's wrapping paper. Loved.
- made Christmas cards by cutting Christmas trees out of green artwork then glitter glueing and sticking on cards
- wrapping paper. Total total lack of interest in even getting the paints out. I actually considered doing it myself before realising I was being CRAZY and I should just use it as an excuse to buy paper. It was a big hit last year and I'm sure squidge'll love it next year so the brown paper can wait till then!
- snowman pancakes. Big hit!
- Christmas singing at nursery
- Christmas dancing done after nursery. Not that successful as both boys were too tired. Maybe do in morning next time.
- made Christmas elves from toilet rolls today from beebies website.
- made fudge for nursery, daddy, grandma and neighbour
- made mince pies.
- play dough snowmen.
I think that's it. I can't decide on tomorrow's activity - if I can get myself in gear I'll try for a Christmas eve box of books, hot chocolate, movie and possibly pyjamas. Otherwise it'll just be movie (the snowman probably) and hot chocolate.

It's been great again, if a bit more complicated with not being on mat leave. It'll be fun when they can both take part next year.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Previous

Return to Christmas/Birthdays/High Days and Holidays