Advent activities for older ones?

Oh look, it's broadly a place to talk about special occasions, party tips and to swap present ideas but let's be perfectly honest, this forum is here because I want to get excited about CHRIIIIIISTMAS from about June onwards.

Advent activities for older ones?

Postby Heidi » 25 Nov 2014, 20:53

This will be our 4th set of advent activities, and I'm really struggling to find things that will interest Thom (age 7.5 going on 14.5)...

Anyone got any ideas for older children, who would rather play on the ipad for hours on end? Actually, anyone got any suggestions for festive games I can download?!
Thom May 07 and Kiera Sept 09 - I don't really have an excuse to be here still!!

Would you like to start your own business, earn some extra money or enjoy a new challenge? If so please contact me,

http://www.phoenix-trading.co.uk/web/heidiwadsworth
Heidi

Re: Advent activities for older ones?

Postby emzit » 26 Nov 2014, 12:06

My ideas are a bit more oriented towards 3, but White Stuff usually have a Christmas game on their website which used to fill in my hours of working on Christmas Eve. Looking for turkeys that pop out randomly. It was a bit addictive.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby A_W » 26 Nov 2014, 13:01

Watching a new xmas dvd?
Glow stick baths
Ice skating
Buying and wrapping a present for a family member
Writing list to santa
Late night drive to see xmas lights
Cinema trip
Xmas doodle books
Donating to charity
making a wreath for the door
decorating tree
church service
school party
school nativity
panto

These are all on H's list I think. I'm hoping in a year she will still want to do some of these things!
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby Fuz-Chan » 26 Nov 2014, 20:37

When I was wee, one of the things we always did was drive into see the Xmas lights in George Square in Glasgow and get fried chicken from a place called Mississippi Chicken, I think. If there is somewhere you can do something like that, that may be met with excitement.

Making some presents for others? cookies or soaps to give to grandparents? decorating mugs with sharpies as gifts? older children will be able to do much more...
Fuz-Chan

Postby Heidi » 26 Nov 2014, 20:46

Fuz-Chan wrote: older children will be able to do much more...

Well, he may be able to do much more, but the problem is he doesn't want to :(

Thanks for the suggestions, I guess I just need to accept that the advent activities are for Kiera, and he'll join in if/when he wants :?
Thom May 07 and Kiera Sept 09 - I don't really have an excuse to be here still!!

Would you like to start your own business, earn some extra money or enjoy a new challenge? If so please contact me,

http://www.phoenix-trading.co.uk/web/heidiwadsworth
Heidi

Postby Rahgamuffin » 27 Nov 2014, 07:01

Work does a carol service in the cathedral and it is a highlight of Christmas for my two - might be something local you can go to?

Our church does a puppet show each year they love (DH & I are both involved so they often see all 3 shows + dress rehearsal)

Christmas lights switch on?

Drive around a housing estate scoring each house on their lights.
Mum to B (05/08), J (02/11) & L (01/14)
Rahgamuffin

Postby Fuz-Chan » 27 Nov 2014, 12:12

Does he like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? I saw this: http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2013/12/ma ... ornaments/
Fuz-Chan

Return to Christmas/Birthdays/High Days and Holidays