Christmas Cake

Oh look, it's broadly a place to talk about special occasions, party tips and to swap present ideas but let's be perfectly honest, this forum is here because I want to get excited about CHRIIIIIISTMAS from about June onwards.

Christmas Cake

Postby MumtoMonsters » 10 Oct 2014, 10:12

I made this Christmas cake for my Dad's birthday:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1160/simmerandstir-christmas-cake

Now everyone's asking for one for Christmas, which is all very lovely, but the cake is huge and would cost me a fortune to make five! So, how do I reduce an 8" round cake to something more manageable? I'm fine with the maths of reducing the recipe, but have no idea what to do about the size of tin or whether I also need to reduce the baking time? This is currently an utterly fool-proof recipe because I am no baker and have never attempted a fruitcake before.

Then I've got to go off and buy tins for everyone...
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Re: Christmas Cake

Postby pirate_han » 10 Oct 2014, 11:21

I just got bargain small cake tins in The Range for making Christmas cakes.
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby cloudcuckoo » 10 Oct 2014, 13:01

Could you ask them to cover the cost of ingredients?
Does this help at all? http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/ ... cipes.html
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 10 Oct 2014, 14:07

Agree with CC and ask for a contribution! Alternatively, can you make the same quantity but use a split tin - like this..... http://www.lakeland.co.uk/10972/Silverw ... y-Cake-Pan

I find mine invaluable for multi layer cakes or multi size cakes. You will need to reduce the cooking time a little, but if they are a similar depth cake, then it wouldn't be by much (I don't think!). A skewer will help!!!

Lovely looking cake, though. I think I might try one!!!!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Raktajino » 11 Oct 2014, 16:52

Make them all a cute tiny one in a emptied and washed baked bean / chopped tomarto tin. Line it with grease proof paper, spoon in cake mix until 3/4 full. Decorate top with nuts. Bake for about 30 to 45 min, test with a skewer towards the end. Then when the can is cool enough to handle use a tin opener to open the bottom - instant looose bottom tin! Pin a cute ribbon around the cake and you're done. The great thing is you can make up your normal quanity of cake mix and freeze any extra cakes.
Mum to Sausage, born July 2011
Raktajino

Return to Christmas/Birthdays/High Days and Holidays