We will not waste the summer!

Oh look, it's broadly a place to talk about special occasions, party tips and to swap present ideas but let's be perfectly honest, this forum is here because I want to get excited about CHRIIIIIISTMAS from about June onwards.

We will not waste the summer!

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 07 Jul 2014, 19:10

Sooooo, last year, the summer holidays, which seemed endless at the start, disappeared in a flash and I felt it was wasted!

Now that they are both mobile and more interested in the world, I am vowing that the same doesn't happen again, so I'm going to give myself a list of things to do. Not every day, some days can just drift along (I like that!) but to make sure we get lots out of the next 7 weeks and I'm not putting her in her new blazer wondering how many times we watched Frozen.

So, would anyone like to join in?? Suggestions would be helpful, especially as a 2 year old and 4 year old will have different things they would like to do!

1. Sit down with Munchies phonics books and read at least every other day.
2. Ditto writing books.
(there are personal - we've been rubbish at it the last term!)
3. Bake at least once a week.
4. Go out on bikes, further than the park - get Munchie cycling confidently.
5. Go out on scooters (Pickle is getting one for her birthday in a couple of weeks!)
6. Paint at least once a week.
7. Don't woose out of #6. You have paint, now use them.
8. Cover entire house in dust sheets in anticipation of #6
9. See friends at least once a week.
10. Go somewhere requiring a vehicle journey at least once a week - to get us outta here!!
11. Go to at least 3 new places, not same old, same old.
12. Have picnics in the garden.
13. Chalk drawings on the patio.
14. Go on a colour hunt around the house and garden.
15. Ditto shape hunt.
16. Go strawberry picking.
17. Go on a bus.
18. Go on a train.
19. Watch Frozen (because it will happen - several times)
20. Theme days. Dress up and party!
21. Go and visit my parents. Yes, we really should do!
22. Go ice skating.
23. Go to the beach.
24. Regret #24 more than #6 as I HATE SAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just remembered
25. Chili Fiesta at West Dean
26. Southsea show

TBC
Last edited by UnhappyRightFoot on 07 Jul 2014, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Re: We will not waste the summer!

Postby A_W » 07 Jul 2014, 19:35

I'd add:
- visit the library
- go to the movies to see a U film
- go visit a castle
- go on a bear/gruffalo/stickman hunt in a wood?
- look at any special days the local children's centre are doing? our's did messy painting last year which was great!
- get the paddling pool out or just a bucket?
- have a pyjama day once a week?
- make a scrap book of the holidays
- visit a national trust house?
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby fourweewonders » 07 Jul 2014, 19:37

Ive pinned a ton of summery crafts to do, lots of science experiments planned with water, sail cars, elastic band powered boats!!

I really want to do some letter sounds with A, she appears to have picked up a few (a, s & o) from her big siblings, so must get all the letter toys back out.

Bikes bikes bikes

Will get the waterplay track out every day.

B is on a mission to read all the harry potter books

Oh and theres the teeny tiny matter of potty training two very reluctant twinkies
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby fourweewonders » 07 Jul 2014, 19:41

Aw- if you do get to a N.T property, ask for a '50 things to do before your 11 3/4' scrapbook. Full of stuff like pond dipping and climbing trees, the kids can collect stickers at N.T places for doing them, and glue in a photos of them doing the activities
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby robyn » 07 Jul 2014, 21:00

re painting and mess, what type of paints are you using? We've had a revelation since the girls got a kids watercoloour paintbox each (like this- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Major-Brushes-9 ... colour+set) - SOOOO much cleaner than poster paints. G paints all the time now, it used to be a rarity.
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby babydsmummy » 07 Jul 2014, 21:16

Go swimming once a week - want to get J happier in the water so he can have a go at lessons in the not too distant future.

And FWW I'll join you on the PT journey for the summer! He has still never ever produced anything on the potty!

Complete the library's reading challenge with D, and in the process get a bit further along with the school one.
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 07 Jul 2014, 22:16

Swimming is a good one, babydsmummy. It'll have to be at a weekend with DH.

Also, just found some ice lolly recipes on pinterest so will make some of those. Hopefully Pickle will be able to be involved in that one!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

UnhappyRightFoot

Postby felizefun » 08 Jul 2014, 09:47

- go for nature walks
- bug hunting
- feed ducks
- watch shapes in clouds
- fly a kite

My ones sound pretty lame, I know, but I figure once DD starts school proper there won't be any time to do these simple things anymore. :cry
felizefun

Postby emzit » 25 Jul 2014, 08:58

This popped up on my fb feed just now and I thought of this thread... Some of the ideas are awesome! On phone so sorry in advance for crappy link.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikespohr/activities-that-will-keep-your-kids-busy-all-sum?sub=3235568_2929536&s=mobile#2929536
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 25 Jul 2014, 14:24

Thanks for that link Emzit - really good ideas there! Not sure about writing letters in sugar, though. That wouldn't last very long!!!!

We're doing ok so far. A couple of rubbish days this week due to hormones, tiredness, grumpy mummy and not brilliant behaviour from the littlies! But we've made some decent progress on the spreadsheets!!! Lots of baking done and Munchie cycled unaided for almost a mile so cycling confidently has already been achieved!!! Pickle now has a scooter too so we'll be off to the park on the over the weekend to get her going!

I also came up with a coming plan to paint and not wreck the house! I've bought a banquetting roll (that paper table cloth you see at buffets) and thought we could paint HUGE pictures - outside!!!! Then hose them off before coming in the house!

UnhappyRightFoot

Postby oriel » 25 Jul 2014, 14:30

I had only watercolours at home, and poster paint only at school. I much preferred poster paint. It's so much thicker and brighter.
Faith 12.12.2007—29.12.2009.
Zoe 19.07.2013.
oriel

Postby Treeb » 25 Jul 2014, 19:37

A few more painting ideas:

Paint with water on the sidewalk or driveway outside.
Paint in the bathtub.
Draw with markers on paper towel or construction paper, then paint over it with water.
Make chalk paint for outside: Crush up sidewalk chalk and mix with water. Or, just dip chalk in water to color with. Or color with chalk and spray with a spray bottle of water.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Den » 25 Jul 2014, 19:54

We did bubble painting the other day and it was surprisingly tidy and really good fun with pretty impressive results
Den

Postby ashleylopez » 14 Aug 2014, 09:29

spending most time on decorating my room' s wall and on spare time i do gossips with friends.....
ashleylopez

Postby LucyLastic » 15 Aug 2014, 00:24

Painting experience this afternoon:
DD (2) in Funpod, no top, apron on, paper taped to worktop and several loose sheets on top, half teaspoon amounts of Sainsbury finger paints in recycled plastic pots (teeny ones - I think they were M&S triple mini brownie bites or something), glue spatula whatsits, cotton buds, a thin paint brush and a wrung out wet flannel. An hour! Apron was spotless, flannel meant I could spot-wipe any fingerprints on the worktop and Funpod (and arms and face!). Fingerprints, handprints, squiggles... She loved it. I loaded the dishwasher, unloaded and reloaded the washing machine. We had a lovely chat, mostly about Peppa. Considering glitter for next time. Okay, maybe not yet...!
Next time, baking!
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Next

Return to Christmas/Birthdays/High Days and Holidays