Questions about Spain (Gizmo???)

Oh look, it's broadly a place to talk about special occasions, party tips and to swap present ideas but let's be perfectly honest, this forum is here because I want to get excited about CHRIIIIIISTMAS from about June onwards.

Questions about Spain (Gizmo???)

Postby RJandA » 26 May 2014, 16:50

Gizmo I'm hoping you will know the answers to all my questions, but anyone else with knowledge please chip in!

We're going to mainland Spain in a couple of weeks, flying into Murcia.

We're hiring a car and car seats. My friend had a horrible experience hiring car seats abroad recently, they refused to help her fit the car seat or even tell her if it was forward or rear facing! I'm assuming both of ours would typically go in forward facing seats, is that right? Are Spanish/ European brands generally much the same as uk in terms of how they strap in if they're not isofix?

Also, I was assuming that the tapwater will be fine for us and the kids to drink?

Thanks!
Mum to Big A - (March 2010), Li'l A - (December 2012)
RJandA

Re: Questions about Spain (Gizmo???)

Postby mamapup » 26 May 2014, 18:24

I think the rental companies aren't allowed to help fit Car seats as then they might be liable. At least that's what a company in France told us last year when they wouldn't help. (made me feel less bad whenThe puppy vomited all over the seat).

Also, it's worth knowing that we were also told (twice) that just because you request a car seat there's no guarantee of getting one as the rental places only have a set number of them. We were horrified by this and once were given one far too big for the puppy - we lengthen entire trip worried.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby nearlymumtobabyfk » 26 May 2014, 21:33

Lost a long reply, but in short, car seats are usually less than ideal as they are standardised rather than car specific, and you do have to fit urself, but I just figure she is at least secured and her head is protected... Re water, it'll be bottled water I'd have thought - it always has been anywhere I've been on mainland Europe... Also, go to Granada if you can, it's ace! Have fun
Mum to A, 2010, and R, 2015
nearlymumtobabyfk

Postby Gizmo » 26 May 2014, 22:53

Very quick reply as just popping on briefly.

Car seats - TBH I have no idea. We have our own and use them in hire cars (we don't have a car ourselves). You could ask on AngloInfo, the people on there are usually very helpful.

Water - Tap water is fine. In some areas it tastes a bit funny but is perfectly safe so some people use bottled water but only because they prefer the taste. We drink the tap water and it tastes normal where we are.
Gizmo

Postby difdif » 27 May 2014, 05:37

Yes rental companies won't fit the seats for you in Denmark either so sounds like general avoidance of responsibility. Can be quite stressful when you have tired kids with you and just want to get away! Seats have been ok where we went but they just opened up a storage room and let you pick so no advice on sizes etc.. Hope you get good ones and enjoy the trip.
The wee Scotsmen F Sep 08 and C Jan 11
difdif

Postby Gizmo » 27 May 2014, 09:35

Here's the link http://spain.angloinfo.com/

Go to the local angloinfo area on the left hand side.Then click the Discussions tab, on the left hand side there are then sections. Your best bet is either in the General or Families & Kids, go to whichever you think (or both), scroll down because there's always a few ads at the top and add a topic.
Gizmo

Return to Christmas/Birthdays/High Days and Holidays