Games for 3rd birthday party?

Oh look, it's broadly a place to talk about special occasions, party tips and to swap present ideas but let's be perfectly honest, this forum is here because I want to get excited about CHRIIIIIISTMAS from about June onwards.

Games for 3rd birthday party?

Postby BigFlower » 30 Jan 2013, 17:08

In your experience what has worked?

There will be about half a dozen kids at ours. Ages 2-4.

We were thinking pass the parcel and musical statues.

Does that sound okay? Any suggestions gratefully received as I'm useless at this stuff!

Thanks
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Re: Games for 3rd birthday party?

Postby handstand79 » 30 Jan 2013, 17:42

Pass the hat - have a few role play type hats, if your wearing a hat when the music stops get a small prize. Coloured mats/ paper / balloons - dance when music stops grab a balloon or stand on coloured paper/mat. Call out a colour and those children win prize. Give out instruments. Put music on. Who can play loudest/quietest/slowest/quickest etc. child gets prize. Prizes were one haribo sweet at the party we went to but could be something healthier if you don't like doing sweets! Was one of the best parties we have been to! Nobody out, more than one child getting a prize each time! Picture in each corner of room works well too. Dance to music, when stops go to a corner. One picture shouted out, all in that corner get a prize.
handstand79

Postby PerpetualMadness » 30 Jan 2013, 17:44

Dancing like loons to music.
I seem to remember that p mostly didn't want to join in games at that age and preferred to dance/play.
PerpetualMadness

Postby fourweewonders » 30 Jan 2013, 19:39

musical bumps. big stickers to mark which kids are 'out' but allowing kids to carry on playing, works well in any game at this age.
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby Aggie » 30 Jan 2013, 21:22

I had lots of games planned for B's 3rd birthday party. We played pass the parcel and then none of the children wanted to play any of the other games! They were just happy playing with the toys we had out.
Aggie

Postby BigFlower » 31 Jan 2013, 07:58

handstand79 wrote:Pass the hat - have a few role play type hats, if your wearing a hat when the music stops get a small prize. Coloured mats/ paper / balloons - dance when music stops grab a balloon or stand on coloured paper/mat. Call out a colour and those children win prize. Give out instruments. Put music on. Who can play loudest/quietest/slowest/quickest etc. child gets prize. Prizes were one haribo sweet at the party we went to but could be something healthier if you don't like doing sweets! Was one of the best parties we have been to! Nobody out, more than one child getting a prize each time! Picture in each corner of room works well too. Dance to music, when stops go to a corner. One picture shouted out, all in that corner get a prize.

I love the balloon idea instead of musical stautes and giving several prizes instead of making someone be "out". Thanks.

I'm not sure about musical bumps....DD can be a bit "exuberant" when excited and I'd worry she'd injure someone!

Aggie wrote:I had lots of games planned for B's 3rd birthday party. We played pass the parcel and then none of the children wanted to play any of the other games! They were just happy playing with the toys we had out.

SUspect this may happen....nice to have a planjust in case though.

Thanks all, really appreciated.
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby TravellingMum » 31 Jan 2013, 08:37

we did one called sharks or something. Put a blanket or something on the ground, then the kids have to dance all around it. You have a couple of designated 'sharks'. When the music stops they all have to jump on to the blanket... the sharks have to catch them! So if they don't get on fast enough they are caught by a shark...then they can be a shark next time.

It was fun, and the kids all liked it!
Mum to Little Panda and Wee Monkey
TravellingMum

Postby Efficient_Edna » 31 Jan 2013, 11:14

Yeah, being in the midst of my nct group 3rd birthday season, I can say that pass the parcel has been the only success so far.

Simon Says was a complete disaster and musical statues was ok but they didn't understand the concept of being "out" which kind of blew a hole in it. Just dancing to music starting and stopping would have been better without winners/losers to complicate it.

X
Brilliant A born Jan '10.
Bouncing L born Sep '11.
Efficient_Edna

Postby LucyL » 31 Jan 2013, 18:07

We had a Thomas the Tank Engine party for Bookworm's 3rd birthday, and (apart from pass the parcel, which was indeed a success!) didn't bother with traditional games - instead they were in "engine driver training": Threw "coal" (rolled up black socks) into a train truck I'd made from boxes in exchange for bandannas (I hoarded large boxes for months and made Percy, James and 2 trucks, which I only realised in the midst of the work in the dead of night was crazy, but there you go :oops: ), went on a treasure hunt for whistles, made engine driver hats out of paper, and eventually painted yet more boxes with holes cut in them to make their own trains, and "rode" them around on a chalk track I got all the dads to draw on the drive.

However... While this was all great fun for the kiddies it was quite a lot of work for me, so I'm not sure I would advocate it as a sane plan, nor would I do it again in a hurry, just saying it was definitely a success activity-wise!
Mum to two gorgeous boys, Bookworm (May 2009) and Little Tiger (November 2011)
Musings about our homeschooling journey at www.smallstepstoabiggod.org
LucyL

Postby TravellingMum » 01 Feb 2013, 00:44

Lucy L...hope you have kept everything so that Little Tiger can have a Thomas 3 rd birthday.... all that work for 2 birthdays!!!! (the trains did look great)
Mum to Little Panda and Wee Monkey
TravellingMum

Postby BigFlower » 01 Feb 2013, 20:54

Wow Lucy L that sounds amazing!
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby BigFlower » 16 Feb 2013, 20:49

We ended up with pass the parcel (little dinosaur in each layer and play doh set in the middle) and musical statues (really dance like a loon and then when the music stops fling mini packs of haribo around). Batting balloons and generally charging about filled the rest of the time. :D

My baby is THREE!!!
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby RJandA » 02 Apr 2014, 17:41

More of an activity than a game, but I got some icing tubes and some sprinkles, smarties etc and let them decorate their own cupcakes. Saved me doing the icing, and actually kept them occupied for ages longer than I thought it would!
Mum to Big A - (March 2010), Li'l A - (December 2012)
RJandA

Postby RJandA » 02 Apr 2014, 17:47

Oops just realised I'm way too late to be helpful BF!
Mum to Big A - (March 2010), Li'l A - (December 2012)
RJandA

Postby partymojo » 21 Jun 2014, 06:38

Can you explain me i don't understand the meaning of games for 3rd birthday party.
partymojo

Next

Return to Christmas/Birthdays/High Days and Holidays