anyone experience that awkward moment...

Oh look, it's broadly a place to talk about special occasions, party tips and to swap present ideas but let's be perfectly honest, this forum is here because I want to get excited about CHRIIIIIISTMAS from about June onwards.

anyone experience that awkward moment...

Postby blossom » 01 Jan 2012, 18:27

When you receive a gift but didn't give one in return?
I'm embarrassed to say it happened to us 5 times this Christmas from people who usually only buy for the kids but for some reason this year they decided to fling us a gift too. I usually have a tin of biscuits wrapped and unlabelled just in case but one wasn't enough!
What are your tips for this one? Is it crass to kind of agree by text before meeting up or do you just accept gracefully and not change your stance?
Sugarpie Nov 2007, Twinkletoes May 2011.
blossom

Re: anyone experience that awkward moment...

Postby SparklePetal » 01 Jan 2012, 19:23

I think you just have to say "That's very kind of you, I wasn't expecting anything, I'm sorry I haven't got anything for you." Hopefully thay take the hint and don't buy for you again! I haven't had that happen this year, but we were mightily relieved when DH's Aunt turned up saying "I almost brought H" that H (her grand-daughter) had decided not to come - an unexpected/uninvited ten-year-old that we hadn't got a present for would have been very awkward!
Mum to DD Snow White (30/11/08) and DS Bluebird (13/09/11)
<><
http://sparklepetal.wordpress.com
SparklePetal

Postby BigFlower » 01 Jan 2012, 21:22

We've had a few of these.

Bit of a mix WRT responses.

On a couple I've said "oh thank you, didn't expect that, haven't got anything etc" as Sparklepetal says. However on a couple where we almost did get something anyway I said that we ewre horribly behind with wrapping so would have to deliver it later....then rushed out and got something!
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby Pics » 01 Jan 2012, 21:49

In theory i just say thank you and apologise for not having anything, explaining that i thought we weren;t doing presents! But there are some peope that i just can;t do that with.
Mummy to two scrumptious BLW girls, who like to rebel and ask for spoonfeeding every once in while (2007 and 2010), and another who'll be occupying the Ikea highchair from March.

http://www.slingtastic.com
Pics

Return to Christmas/Birthdays/High Days and Holidays