A family/inlaws relationship-saving vent thread

Oh look, it's broadly a place to talk about special occasions, party tips and to swap present ideas but let's be perfectly honest, this forum is here because I want to get excited about CHRIIIIIISTMAS from about June onwards.

A family/inlaws relationship-saving vent thread

Postby blackberrycrimble » 22 Dec 2011, 16:59

Editing my posts on this thread, sorry!
Last edited by blackberrycrimble on 14 Jun 2014, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Re: A family/inlaws relationship-saving vent thread

Postby Pics » 22 Dec 2011, 17:05

Mil arrived today til 28th. She is very kind, but the expression 'chalk and cheese' sums it up.
Mummy to 3 scrumptious BLWers, who sometimes rebel + ask for spoonfeeding (2007, 2010, 2013). Antilop chair, slings, cloth nappies, no steam mop but awaiting permission for special handshake which probably involves porridge.
http://www.slingtastic.com
Pics

Postby KatGoldLIN » 22 Dec 2011, 17:06

hahahaha!! Totally cross posted with my thread!!!
Kat
Mum to E 02/04/2007, G 26/03/2010 and T 30/03/2011
KatGoldLIN

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 22 Dec 2011, 17:14

LOL at this already. And <sob>, DH is just on his way to the airport to collect PILs.

The children will love it. The children will love it. The children will love it. Pass me the gin.
Mum to two gorgeous girls and one bouncing baby boy.
gingerbreadhouse

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 22 Dec 2011, 17:23

Oh, and was going to add this to my turkey thread, but here might be more appropriate. PILs decided they wanted turkey, so they've ordered one. Fine, I suppose. I asked MIL for help cooking the turkey, she took it as an invitation for her to cook the whole dinner with DH helping. She is a very average cook, DH just cannot cook. I don't want mushy vegetable. I only need guidance on cooking the flipping turkey, I don't want them in my kitchen. And besides, if I'm not cooking and MIL and DH are in the kitchen that means I have to make small talk with PIL and listen to him talking crap to the children.

And breathe.
Mum to two gorgeous girls and one bouncing baby boy.
gingerbreadhouse

Postby Nix » 22 Dec 2011, 17:43

No in law worries for me until new years day! But then I may need this thread!!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Tintin » 22 Dec 2011, 18:55

None for me at all this year! :D In fact, there's every chance we won't see the ILs again until the summer! :)
My mum arrived yesterday, my sis & family arrive on Sat...
All is good :D

Those of you with IL visits to cope with have my full sympathies.
And I will definitely br hanging out on this thread next year! ;)
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby skip » 22 Dec 2011, 19:24

Ach, best of luck everyone...

My. Mother. Is. Coming. On. Christmas. Day. The guilt and passive aggression have already begun. And I can't even get drunk.
Mama to the marvellous M (July '08) and R-bear (Oct '11)
skip

Postby AwayinaChive » 22 Dec 2011, 19:30

Oh, thank God we are on our own for Christmas! I thought it was a sad thing but now I am very, very, very glad.
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Postby 3KiwiChicks » 22 Dec 2011, 19:35

We are having a 'you should be at our place this year' fight with the IL at the moment. Apparently we (read *I*) have changed the year and f*cked it up for everyone else, although my family also do a rotating year and none of them have changed. So it is being insisted (with lots of guilt about older family members not going to be here next year used as amo from both sides) from both sides that we make the main meal (sigh). We have managed to get my family to move the main meal to 2pm and have asked if the IL can do an early lunch so that we can make both.... so now everyone is arriving at the IL's at 11am..... hmm, hardly a time change from 11:30. which means that with a 45 min drive in between the two of them we will only be able to stay with the IL for a couple of hours max... which we are getting in the neck about.

Its all a mess and I just want to stay home. I know its very selfish of me but I cannot help but feel that at 30 weeks pregnant with the only small children in the family that it would be nice if people were trying to accommodate us rather than expecting us to be the ones racing around making everyone else happy. :-(
Three little chicks, all BLWed. Two at school and one preschooler. Not around much any more, but think of you all often.
3KiwiChicks

Postby Noir » 22 Dec 2011, 20:24

I am sooo glad we said from the start we were staying on our own for Christmas day. But...MIL sent me a shirty sounding text earlier that will we please collect some of our presents as they're taking up too much room at theirs. A) I didn't even know they were back from their holiday yet. B) how the f can she think that presents that are taking up too much room in their two double bedroom house with two people living in it are going to fit in our teeny 2 bed flat with 4 people living in it, 2 of which don't understand the waiting to open presents thing...so why get us that much in the first place? Gah. Thanks, good thread idea!
Noir

Postby RachelS » 22 Dec 2011, 20:26

3kwc put your foot down, have Christmas just the four of you plus bump.
That's what we are doing and have done since having ds1. I have to endure the ils at theirs for an overnight stay on the wed. I will be on edge all the time with 2 boisterous boys and a load of wedgewood and china at the right level to touch.
Aspiring yummy mummy but managing to be a slummy mummy to 2 gorgeous boys.
DS1 11/08/06
DS2 14/09/09
RachelS

Postby mum2cj » 22 Dec 2011, 20:35

I will not be held responsible for any words which come out of my mouth on xmas day or boxing day when my parents are here. I am finally finding the courage to stand up for myself and say what I need. Unfortunately Mum won't say what she thinks, just gets upset if you don't think the same. And I have every intention of throwing them out the house on boxing day during my quiet/nap time. Last time they were here I asked them to leave by 1:30 for my quiet time. They left at 12 but came back at 2!!!

I've been strong and told them they can't stay here. (we have a small 3 bed house, 18month & 1 month both in own rooms so no space/bed). They asked to camp in the garden - no, and then asked to kip on the sofas - NO! So sorry, but for the first time since we moved to NZ (5.5yrs) you can't get unlimited free accommodation at our house.
stay at home mummy to
DD1: CJ - 01/06/10
DD2: SN - 08/11/11
mum2cj

Postby Fozza » 22 Dec 2011, 21:09

I'm listening.

I am still seething that sMIL expected us to be free for christmas. FIl has almost never spent christmas with dh...mostly because sMIL had her father to attend to or whatever. He died this year and I get that it's going to be hard but still...why break tradition and cause complications. I have plans with my family Christmas evening so can't see MIL on Christmas day...boxing day was fine until FIL decided to visit and now I am feeling like crap for having made plans with my family. We've found a way through it but dh has had to make a sacrifice (traditional cold meats and mash at his mums for chilli or nibbles at BIL) I suppose it does mean we don't have to fight the dogs off and the baby can sit on the floor of he wishes. See I feel better already.

Not seeing anyone on Christmas day would be my solution but we have to fit them (divorced parents) all in and it's hard.
Mum to
A - 09/04/11, Z - 27/02/09, F - 06/03/07
O - 27/02/06...My Forever Baby
Fozza

Postby fourweewonders » 22 Dec 2011, 21:14

I should be very grateful that mil and sil have only been for 2.5 hours and have gone again but...

Mil has p***** me off hugely by taking to my 5 year old in a stupid baby voice constantly, its annoying enough when people talk to babies like that but a 5 year old!!!
Fourweewonders formerly know as nurseymum

Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Next

Return to Christmas/Birthdays/High Days and Holidays