Help me with cake!

Oh look, it's broadly a place to talk about special occasions, party tips and to swap present ideas but let's be perfectly honest, this forum is here because I want to get excited about CHRIIIIIISTMAS from about June onwards.

Help me with cake!

Postby yorkshirepudding » 11 Jun 2016, 19:18

I don't need help eating it, sorry.

Oh is being useless researching roof tiles when we need to sort E's birthday cake. I'm not bothered about sugar content so was settled on some kind of animal shape with buttercream, but now realise that we have 2 dairy/ nut/ egg allergic kids coming plus 2 vegan adults. Also do I do a cake for her actual birthday and then more for her party 2 days later?

I was thinking cupcakes (buns, I'm from the north) with a simple glacé icing (as can't do buttercream) and some decoration but it would be nice to do a big cake for the party. Any suggestions on tasty dairy free icing? Should ask my vegan chef sister in law I suppose... :wink:
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Re: Help me with cake!

Postby emzit » 11 Jun 2016, 19:56

I love raspberry icing - there's different recipes and last time I tried to find my usual I couldn't, which isn't much help, but it's just raspberries and icing sugar.

I do fancy cakes for the party and cupcakes for actual birthdays when they're on different days. Not sure about dairy and egg free though...
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby StJuniper » 11 Jun 2016, 20:44

My go-to chocolate cake recipe is egg and dairy free. This recipe makes a single layer in an 8-inch round pan, I usually triple it.

1.5 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 c. cocoa
1 tsp. salt
1 cup cold water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbs. vinegar
1/3 c. oil
Instructions
In a large bowl, stir together all dry ingredients.
Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl and then add to dry mixture and stir. Do not use a beater.
Bake in a greased and floured 8*8-in. pan at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Cool completely in pan (about 2 hrs) before icing.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 11 Jun 2016, 21:07

Lemon icing is also yummy - just icing sugar and lemon juice!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby yorkshirepudding » 11 Jun 2016, 21:15

Brill thanks st j. I'll look up raspberry icing, if not for this time must try it soon! I did find a possible buttercream replacement using trex (hard veg fat), which sounds a bit gross, but might try it!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby lizandimo » 11 Jun 2016, 21:40

That chocolate cake, with raspberry icing (if you can find it) sounds like it would be amazing!!

I'm sure I've read somewhere about people making buttercream with all veg shortening (is that the same as what you saw?) - I usually use half butter and half shortening and that's fine, but no idea about what it would be like if it was all shortening.
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby Kanga » 12 Jun 2016, 04:40

I use Vitalite or Pure margarines which are both dairy free. I find the butter cream cones out runnier than with butter but it's fine apart from that.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Marrow » 12 Jun 2016, 10:32

I use Stork (in foil not in a tub) for buttercream as a direct sub for butter. It doesn't taste all delicious and buttery, but if you add flavourings it's fine.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby qbm » 12 Jun 2016, 17:57

yorkshirepudding wrote:Brill thanks st j. I'll look up raspberry icing, if not for this time must try it soon! I did find a possible buttercream replacement using trex (hard veg fat), which sounds a bit gross, but might try it!

I made some using Trex for E's first birthday and it was really nice! I too was dubious at first though.
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby yorkshirepudding » 12 Jun 2016, 21:36

Ooh good to know it works with trex, did you do half marg, or all trex Qbm?

I've made it with vegan marg before and it was ok but we might do some piping and it was too soft for that.
yorkshirepudding

Postby qbm » 13 Jun 2016, 16:05

I honestly can't remember it was so long ago but in the cover of my BLW cookbook I have scribbled the following:

Dairy Free Buttercream
(Twice as much icing sugar as fats).
Eh. 85g Vitalite/15g Trex/200g icing sugar
Add tiny amount of boiling water if needed.

So, not that much Trex at all it appears!
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby SusanMcGee » 31 Aug 2016, 09:17

HOT MILK SPONGE CAKE

3/4 cup milk
1 stick (1/4 lb) butter or margarine
For chocolate lovers,: one large bag choclate cooking morsals (normally used in chocolate chip cookies)

Heat butter, milk and chocolate in small pot on low until melted and set aside, stir occasionally

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour loaf or cake pans and set aside

In large mixing bowl put in 2 cups flour. 2 cups sugar (*for people with sugar problems, substitute 2 cups SPLENDA or EQUAL), 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and 3 eggs and beat well, adding milk mixture little by little until all is blended. There may be some lumps.

Pour into pans evenly using all of batter. Put in oven and bake for up to one hour, DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR BEFORE 40 MINUTES TO CHECK. Stick sharp knife in center of cake, if comes out clean cake is finished. If not, give 5 more minutes. Let set in pans outside oven for 10 minutes before releasing from pan. Cool cakes on wire racks or eat still warm. You can frost or glaze them or not.
miladybc · 5 years ago
SusanMcGee

Return to Christmas/Birthdays/High Days and Holidays