Another sleep one!

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

Another sleep one!

Postby pirate_han » 15 Oct 2015, 08:10

A is 8.5 months. He has co-slept with us from the beginning after hating his Moses basket. I don't love co-sleeping really but do what gets me the most sleep!

For the past couple of weeks I've managed to get him napping in his cot without fuss (hooray) - he was previously napping on my lap/in the sling. He is not as 'good' a sleeper as B was and tends to have 45-60 minutes in the morning and 90 minutes in the afternoon. He doesn't seem to need more than this. I haven't tried him in the cot at night yet as I wanted to get the (bastard) clock change out of the way first and then try.

He's EBF and for a while he's fed twice a night. He goes to sleep at 6:30pm (no chance of any later he won't have it), I dream feed him at 9ish and then he wakes to feed at 1:30am-ish and 4:30am-ish. If I'm lucky he goes back to sleep after the last one but DH gets up for work at 5am so he often doesn't. He has always gone straight back to sleep after the first feed, until the last two weeks when he seems to have decided it is playtime and is up for around an hour trying to crawl around the bed, babbling and blowing raspberries on my arm. I try to pretend to be asleep so he gets bored but it doesn't seem to make a difference. What do I do?

Annoyingly his room is on another floor as we're in a weirdly set-up town house, so if I put him in his cot overnight and he does this I'll feel even worse as I'll have to trek up and downstairs :( I can't fit his cot in our room or I'd do that and leave him to it. Any ideas gratefully received!
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Re: Another sleep one!

Postby yorkshirepudding » 15 Oct 2015, 13:39

Could be 'just' a developmental spurt? Hopefully once he's through it his sleep will settle again. But if you're ready to move him anyway, and he's happy in his cot for naps, maybe you could squeeze a camp bed or similar in his room or on the landing for a week whilst he gets used to it. At least if you put him back in his cot he might go to sleep, and you can hide from him a bit,whereas in your bed you have no choice over the interacting! I have blocked out most of Moos first 2 years of sleep, or lack of, so can't remember what I did when he wouldn't sleep. And I didn't have to wrestle a toddler as well the next day!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby emzit » 15 Oct 2015, 22:58

Sounds like the 9 month sleep regression. I have no suggestions as squish is still appalling so clearly nothing I do has worked!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby nearlymumtobabyfk » 16 Oct 2015, 08:01

I'd reckon development. Is be crawling yet? Could be that. I always found the middle of the night parties preceded a leap... I've currently got an all night feeder. And when I say all night, I mean aaaaaalll night. Yawn... Hoping it's teeth/growth spurt. He does seem to suddenly need 9-12 month clothes (!!). I hope it's over soon tho, I'm bollocksed! Xx
Mum to A, 2010, and R, 2015
nearlymumtobabyfk

Postby pirate_han » 16 Oct 2015, 08:50

Ahh I had forgotten about the 9 month sleep regression, I bet you're right. He is crawling and has just started pulling to stand so that probably has something to do with it too. It's just all a shock after B who slept 7-7 from 3 months regardless of what was happening!
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby Lily » 16 Oct 2015, 10:34

Feeling your pain. Bee used to sleep 7 or 8 hours at a stretch but is currently up every 2 or 3. Yawn. 6 month growth spurt, nasty cold and I think she may also be getting ready to crawl. Gritting my teeth and planning to wait till after the 9 month regression before I bother doing anything effortful.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby yorkshirepudding » 16 Oct 2015, 13:31

Lalala im not listening to all this talk of sleep regressions. Moo never slept (felt like) so I never noticed any regressions, E has already slept through more times than he did in the first 2.5 yeas but now you're telling me it's all down hill from here?!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Kitcameron » 16 Oct 2015, 16:01

I'm afraid CMs sleep went to pot at 8 months and it was t u til I went cold turkey on her and just stopped going through to her that she went from up 6 x a night wanting feeding to sleep I g through but she did it in 3 nights. I know a lot of people do t agree with controlled crying or crying it out and tbh I dot know the difference, I've never done a specific method. I've just done the 'put a pillow over my head and pray they calm down quickly' method. But I know my kids and I'd know if they were really distraught and they weren't and it worked for us so I'm happy with my decision. It's not one I necessarily recommend to others, just telling you what I did. And both my girls were already used to sleeping in their own beds in their own rooms when I did that so had some familiarity and security.

Hope it gets better for you soon though, I feel your pain.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby pirate_han » 16 Oct 2015, 16:43

I agree with you KC that a bit of frustrated whinging is not the same as being in distress. Do you (or anyone else) think he's too young to stop feeding in the night? B didn't feed in the night from 3 months so I suppose he isn't. He doesn't actually had a lot of milk during the day, he seems to prefer solids, and it would be a pain if I had to buy formula for the last few months until he's 1 :)
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby Kitcameron » 17 Oct 2015, 14:40

My friend would say no, she night weaned her lb about 8 months I think. I don't know personally. I carried on feeding CM in the night until she was about 14 months I think but in hindsight she obviously didn't need it. I think I decided if she sounded like she was in distress I'd go and feed her but if she didn't I wouldn't bother. I figured if she was actually hungry she would sound distressed. Basically, it was try it and see in my case. I continued doing a dream feed for a couple of weeks after she started sleeping through then one night she threw up in me at her bedtime feed and I didnt want to wake her up to feed her at dream feed time just have it all thrown back up again so I decided to wait for her to wake and feed her then. She didn't wake so I stopped doing dream feeds lol.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby StJuniper » 17 Oct 2015, 15:33

I stopped feeding both mine overnight by about 7 months, barring any major night upsets. They both would have a really long feed first thing in the morning and were happy and healthy...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Return to Birth to BLW