That old one...baby sleep

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

That old one...baby sleep

Postby yorkshirepudding » 12 Oct 2015, 12:52

So wise ones, help me with a dilemna: E is 17 weeks old, and has been known to sleep THROUGH THE NIGHT! I can admit this as she's not doing it any more. She has a hammock, which is where she sttn for 2 weeks, even settled herself twice, however for the last week it has been impossible to get her in it without waking up and much screaming. Could be from wind or because she loves to sleep on me (all naps are in the sling!). Prior to sttn, she spent part or all of every night on my chest as I can never get all her wind out and she wouldn't lie down. I don't want to have her on me forever, so last week I tried putting her down on her front, once she was asleep, and she stayed asleep! Since then I've tried settling her in her hammock which takes ages, lots of getting her in and out, and only lasts half an hour. So after she wakes and I'm sick of resettling her I put her on her front in our bed and put oh in the spare bed.

I'm planning on keeping trying with getting her in the hammock at the mo, especially as she has slept in it happily sucking her thumb, but does anyone else have a little baby ( seems nowhere near rolling yet) who sleeps on their front? I feel guilty when I put her down like that but the last 2 nights she's woken once for a feed and gone straight back down to sleep, seems mad to keep fighting her into a position she doesn't like and doesn't sleep in. Was thinking I could put her into a cot next to the bed as I don't think it's being in with me that's making her sleep, then oh could come out of exile.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Re: That old one...baby sleep

Postby Treeb » 12 Oct 2015, 14:43

yp, I think we have the same baby! Every time you post about E and her windyness/reflux/sleep it sounds exactly like what we have going on with A. I have just spent an hour or more attempting to get her to nap because despite being fully tired and ready, every time she nurses she swallows air, so she would nurse a bit, get cranky and need a burp, nurse a bit more, cranky again and another burp, etc. etc. over and over again and of course the burps don't want to come up easily, I have to walk all around patting and rubbing and jiggling her until finally the air comes up from the depths of her tummy. And by the time all the burps are up she isn't hungry or wanting to nurse anymore since she has had so many little sips so I then have to walk around with her in a snuggle hold until she finally gets off to sleep.

Like E, she has sttn a handful of times but it has been quite a while since she has done this. In a normal night we have anywhere from one to three wake ups. (Thankfully when she does nurse in the night she usually doesn't end up with a much trapped air for whatever reason, so she goes back to sleep much more quickly and easily.)

She sleeps on her tummy in a bassinet (need to update to a bigger bed soon!) and has done since she was very tiny, because it is the only way she is comfortable and will stay settled. She spent the first week or two co-sleeping, but was ending up on her tummy in our bed anyway so I figured she is much safer on her tummy on a firm mattress in her own bed with no blankets, etc. rather than in bed with dh and I with our soft mattress, loose sheets, blankets, etc.

Looking at SIDS statistics made me much more comfortable with putting her on her tummy to sleep. Tummy sleeping is only one of many factors, and she doesn't fall into any of the others. (Low birth weight, smoking in the house, African American, loose blankets and pillows, etc. are all things that do not affect us.) They are also safer if they are a) breastfed, and b) sleep in your bedroom but in their own bed. Also the highest period of risk is between 2-4 months, which you are coming to the end of.

So, long-winded reply, but basically as someone in the same situation I say go ahead and put her on her tummy for the sake of your own health and well-being!
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby yorkshirepudding » 12 Oct 2015, 20:42

Thank you Treeb! I'll have to look at the sids stats, hadn't thought of that, just knew it was considered a no-no. At the moment she is in the hammock after several resettlings at bed time, but had a nap not in the sling, whoop, on her front on our bed today. I'm lucky she naps in the sling otherwise it would be the same as you with trying to get wind out before you can put her down, at least in the sling she sometimes wiggles it out in her sleep. If only we had an enormous bed room, could have the hammock and the cot up to choose from!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby mamapup » 12 Oct 2015, 20:45

It's a real tricky one that. I think I started a similar thread in March or April last year that might help.

We let little Croc sleep on her front for naps downstairs but never if we weren't awake and watching her. It felt too scary even though at the same time we felt like we were being silly by not letting her sleep the way she wanted to.

Actually, I think, after posting about it and being really undecided, she suddenly switched and started being happy onher back. Maybe the same will happen for you.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby yorkshirepudding » 12 Oct 2015, 20:54

Thanks mp, will have a look
yorkshirepudding

Return to Birth to BLW