Anyone had a pelvic organ prolapse?

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

Anyone had a pelvic organ prolapse?

Postby Feefielou » 28 Sep 2015, 11:23

Someone reassure me, please. There is a bit of me dangling where it ought not to dangle, following the very rapid birth of Lentil 5 weeks ago. Midwife took a look at in there at one week post-partum and said it was probably a colon prolapse and would likely go away of its own accord in a few weeks, but I see no signs of improvement yet. I'm being super-diligent about pelvic floor exercises and trying my hardest to avoid lifting heavy things (like for example my wild toddler). Even avoiding carrying the Lentil in his sling, as walking around with extra weight makes it worse. Called my gynaecologist to see if I could bring forward my six week appointment but she is away on holiday until the end of next week. I've read that being a long-distance runner and having a lifelong chronic cough (including coughing so hard at 5 months pregnant that I broke a rib, and then had a lung infection for weeks) are additional risk factors for a weak pelvic floor, so I'm kind of frustrated that during neither of my pregnancies has either doctor joined up the dots and thought to encourage me to strengthen my pelvic floor pre-emptively.

Now I'm sitting around biting my nails until my appointment a week on Friday and utterly dreading the suggestion that I ought to give up running. I can't give up running, it is a part of me. I am in the lottery for a place in the next London marathon and if my doctor advises me not to do it, I will be heartbroken. I want to believe that the physical and mental benefits of running, for me, outweigh the risks, but to be honest I don't really know what the risks are. A few people have said things like 'couldn't you take up swimming? or cycling?'. No. Swimming doesn't work, I live in the countryside miles from a pool and don't drive, and besides I'm a rubbish swimmer, plus getting out of the house for a specific time when a pool is open would be nigh-on impossible with Moonbeam and Lentil to cater for. And cycling, well, I just don't really like it. I like running. I love running. I really don't want my colon protruding out of my vagina while I run, though.

Anyone have any words of advise? Has anyone had a prolapse that really did just go away of its own accord? Has anyone successfully returned to running after/with a prolapse?
Brit living in France/Switzerland, Mum to Moonbeam born December 2013, Lentil born August 2015.
Feefielou

Re: Anyone had a pelvic organ prolapse?

Postby junglewonderland » 28 Sep 2015, 12:20

Sorry, no advice but lots of hugs. Good on you for working on your pelvic floor. A prolapse sucks but it could turn out for the best in the long run if it means you get your pelvic floor sorted so you can keep running.

There are some great apps that help with kegels. I use an android one called kegel trainer that gives reminders then guides you through exercises a few times a day.

Are there support garments you could wear while running that would help?

I would get to a women's health physio as soon as you can. This is their specialty. IME doctors are pretty rubbish at this kind of thing, indeed anything that can't be fixed with medication or surgery.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby mamapup » 28 Sep 2015, 18:06

Just hugs. I'm sorry, sounds horrid. I'm sure running with an organ dangling where it shouldn't is no fun at all.
I echo the call to get to a women's health physio asap.
And if you do make it to London, make sure you let us know so we can come and cheer you on or have a post slog drink with you.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Mummamac » 29 Sep 2015, 11:40

You poor thing! I have no experience with this, but agree with the others that a women's health physio would be where I would start.

Just wanted to post some support as a fellow runner. I get it, it is not something you can just 'give up'. I really hope there is a way to 'tighten' everything back up and get you back and training. Let us know how you get on. x

FWIW I have a few runner friends and family who have, for various reasons, needed to give up running and have gone down the cycling route. They are all now bona fide espresso guzzling, Lycra clad middle age crisis velo freaks. I think it is as addictive as running once you get the confidence and calluses happening. Although as I'm writing that I'm pretty sure cycling with a prolapsed colon would be even less fun than running... :o
Mummamac

Postby Feefielou » 30 Sep 2015, 14:35

Aaaaw, thanks everyone. Yes, I need to find me a women's health physio, and one that speaks English as I don't really fancy struggling through that kind of activity with my dodgy French. Will report back. Meanwhile, London marathon lottery is drawn next week. Cross your fingers for me pleeeeeeease!
Brit living in France/Switzerland, Mum to Moonbeam born December 2013, Lentil born August 2015.
Feefielou

Postby EnigmaFish » 30 Sep 2015, 22:01

Good luck and fingers crossed for both your colon and the marathon lottery!
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby lizandimo » 01 Oct 2015, 01:14

Fingers-crossed, hope you get a place! And I hope you can find someone to help with your colon, I can imagine trying to navigate that in a language that isn't your first would not be optimal!
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby Feefielou » 05 Oct 2015, 10:32

Bah, no luck. I'll be in my fifties by the time I ever get a place in any marathon through a lottery drawing.
Feefielou

Postby Feefielou » 09 Oct 2015, 12:19

Hurrah! Doctor says I can run again! Short and slow to start with, of course, and she prescribed a course of 'perineal reeducation' with a midwife, but overall a pretty good outcome.
Feefielou

Postby DandelionFrosting » 09 Oct 2015, 14:14

Congratulations! I'm glad you found some help, and can get back to being yourself again. :D
Perineal reeducation sounds downright sinister, though! Are they going to send it to a prison camp?
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby lizandimo » 09 Oct 2015, 15:17

Sorry about the marathon, but yay for being able to run again!
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Return to Birth to BLW