odd behaviour

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

odd behaviour

Postby CaelaCoo » 01 Apr 2015, 11:40

Maybe I'm just looking into it too much but I'm sure there is something not quite right with baby c.
He is a very Sicky baby and will vomit a lot. Sometimes its projectile, sometimes its just a normal small amount.

Rang the doctor and because he is gaining weight (I think he hasn't been weighed since 2 weeks. Due next week to go) and has plenty of wet nappies, it wasn't urgent and the nearest appoitment is the 20th.

However I forgot to mention other behaviour that concerns me. He hates sleeping on his back and only really settles, worryingly so, on his belly.

He grunts, groans and whimpers an awful lot especially in his sleep and then sometimes his breathing gets really rapid but then suddenly evens out and he is breathing normally again.

Am I being a worrying mother or would you investigate more
*Moo moo's (26/03/13)*
*baby c (4/3/15)*
CaelaCoo

Re: odd behaviour

Postby RedRum » 01 Apr 2015, 12:00

I think if you're instinct is that something is up then I would get it checked. I would call back, say exactly what you've said above, and ask to see someone sooner.
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby Kitcameron » 01 Apr 2015, 13:19

If also phone back or speak to HV. Could be just reflux. CM was the same apart from settling on tummy. We inclined her Moses basket quite steeply for first few months as she didn't settle well n her back when flat. She hated being on her tummy though.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Ali70 » 01 Apr 2015, 14:30

It sounds like the reflux Sproglet had, although she too hated being on her tummy, she'd only sleep on her back, tilted up. But when they're that small its always worth getting them checked. I'd call again, make the point about how young he is and the breathing thing.
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby CaelaCoo » 02 Apr 2015, 18:01

Is so cross with beechfield doctors! They tell me im feeding my baby too much and that is why he is constantly sick. Then its thrush in the mouth and that's why he is uncomfortable. Bring up about reflux and he refuses to prescribe anything as he hasn't been weighed. Didn't even offer to weigh him and go from there. So now have to wait till 21st to see health visitor to get him weighed and maybe get something sorted! -.- feeding too much.....idiot
*Moo moo's (26/03/13)*
*baby c (4/3/15)*
CaelaCoo

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 02 Apr 2015, 19:40

That's shit CC! Feeling frustrated for you!!

Is there nowhere else you can get him weighed? Another clinic? What does his weight have to do with a prescription anyway?

If he's happier on his tummy, can you get one of those monitor mats so you can have some peace of mind? Some babies do just sleep better that way around so if you can take steps to make him safe, then that's one thing you can sort out for him.

But I agree with you - idiot!!!!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Kitcameron » 02 Apr 2015, 19:48

Thrush doesn't usually make babies sick does it, or explain why he doesn't like being on his back? Idiot Drs, more than one? Have you seen your hv? Ours are quite good so I'd probably go to them before drs anyway but I know a lot aren't that brill. Or do you have breast feeding support workers who could check for thrush. Weight would make a difference to dosage of medication given but I don't see any other reason for not giving a prescription for reflux if that's what it is. A rough estimate of weight should be enough. My Dr prescribed Gaviscon then sked about weight not the other way round. They sound ridiculous.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby CaelaCoo » 02 Apr 2015, 20:23

Ww have worked out that raising the mattress he will go on his back so thanx for that tip everyone.

We have to book an appointment to see our health visitors here. I will try but from what I've heard its almost impossible to get through.

We are going to try him on some comfort milk to see if that helps until the ddoctor finally getshis arse in gear.

I am so glad I'm not a first time mum. I would be distraught being told I'm feeding him too much and that is why he is sick. He only has 3oz every 3 hours.
*Moo moo's (26/03/13)*
*baby c (4/3/15)*
CaelaCoo

Postby Daddy'sgirl » 03 Apr 2015, 06:31

Sorry you're not getting the help with this you'd like. DD was the same as a baby and suffered from colic and reflux. The noises she made at night were awful. So much so that we just couldnt sleep with her in the same room and we took shifts with her downstairs until she was 3 or 4 months old. We were (eventually) prescribed gaviscon which I think helped a little but she was always a sicky baby and took ages to feed. Even now at 3 and a half she will frequently burp up mouthfuls of sick/food. It was the noise that really worried me as she really sounded like she was in pain and when I mentioned it to HVs or drs they spoke about 'gurgling' babies and said it was normal. This was far from gurgling!!! I used to think it was at least partly because she was 6 weeks premature but maybe it just was the reflux.
I'm pretty sure you can buy infant gaviscon over the counter - maybe you could try it and see if it helps - but I'm no expert so don't take my word for it! A friendly pharmacist might be able to advise if that is sensible or not. If it helps, maybe a dr would be less reluctant to prescribe it.
DD Oct 11
Daddy'sgirl

Postby NorthernKitten » 28 Jul 2015, 20:04

just doing some browsing of old threads and spotted this one... you could be describing mini man's early weeks. i cut dairy out of my diet, and within days he improved. poo had been green and mucousy. took about 6 weeks before he settled properly.

could just have been coincidence, although his big sister is cows' milk intolerant, so we're more likely to be facing an intolerance issue. about to do some dairy challenges to test whether he is, too.
Mummy to a munchkin (Dec 12) and a mini munchkin (due Jan 15) and part-time teacher of teenaged terrors.
NorthernKitten

Postby CaelaCoo » 29 Jul 2015, 08:22

I did post a new thread but he was actually diagnosed as lactose intolerance at 8 weeks so you were right x
*Moo moo's (26/03/13)*
*baby c (4/3/15)*
CaelaCoo

Postby mindy » 29 Jul 2015, 11:58

Really glad you've finally got a diagnosis- has he settled down now? Just goes to show you have to trust your instincts.....
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Return to Birth to BLW