relactation..

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

relactation..

Postby CaelaCoo » 15 Mar 2015, 18:03

I must be mad after everything I've gone through but I am getting an almost uncontrollable urge to start breastfeeding again. Its been just over a week since I've done it but I do still have some milk.

Been reading into it and it looks like its very hard work but it is possible.

Just urming and aahing right now. At the moment my husband takes first feed for him at night but apart from that I am mainly doing everything. Every time I hold baby c I can feel myself leaking slightly and baby c really roots round for me when he smells the milk. He also doesn't take the bottle as well as I remember molly doing but it could be he's just that too young at the moment. Hes also very sicky so im thinking breast milk might be slightly better.

On the other hand he is getting used to the feeding and my husband does get to feed him when he wants to. He is gaining weight nicely and I don't want to interfere with that. I'm just getting over a bout of mastitis and I'm worried about that kicking off again.
I also think that whilst he is incredibly supportive my husband won't fully support this..

Wwyd.....??
*Moo moo's (26/03/13)*
*baby c (4/3/15)*
CaelaCoo

Re: relactation..

Postby Nix » 15 Mar 2015, 19:24

If you want to then there's no harm in trying. Anything that stimulates milk supply eg expressing and feeding baby, fenugreek, prescription drugs (can't remember what they're called?) will help. It's hard work but if you have the determination there's no reason why you can't try! Have you looked at kellymom for relacation advice? All the best for whatever you choose x
Last edited by Nix on 16 Mar 2015, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Marrow » 15 Mar 2015, 19:28

WWID?

- Put him to the breast if he wants it and you want to. But if DH is dead against, maybe not. Practically, it'll be easier to reverse the decision to BF (given that he's already taking bottles) than to stop.
- Ring the NCT number: 0300 330 0771 (open until 10pm). The helpline was fab with me (the counsellor I saw in person less so, but that was mainly clash of personalities I think).

C was mixed fed from day 3. Went onto cows milk at 12mo and weaned from BF at 18mo. Personally, I'm really glad I persevered with some BF, even if not all.

That's what IWD. But whatever you do, it's OK and don't you dare let anyone tell you otherwise!
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby EnigmaFish » 15 Mar 2015, 19:33

I know someone who relactated, and can put you in touch with her via email if you want to PM me.
Reading your post, I think you'd have a good chance, since you're still producing milk. Best things I've heard of for increasing supply are skin to skin feeding with baby (including in the bath), fenugreek and oats. Also, if you want your husband to be able to give a bottle, there's no reason why you can't combination feed.
Good luck, whatever you choose.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby FestiveTidings » 15 Mar 2015, 19:43

Combination feed or even express some BM if your hubby still wants that time with him - but I would definitely give it a go if I wanted to. I think I would regret it if I didn't try.

Fenugreek and oats (porridge in the morning had helped me loads) are really good for increasing supply, but you do have to make sure the supply is being used (either by feeding or by pumping) or your supply will dwindle.

But absolutely give it a go!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Marrow » 15 Mar 2015, 19:50

Marron wrote:
- Ring the NCT number: 0300 330 0771 (open until 10pm). The helpline was fab with me (the counsellor I saw in person less so, but that was mainly clash of personalities I think).

Sorry, being thick. Is a phone number helpful for you? If not, I second the Kellymom website.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 16 Mar 2015, 01:49

Domperidone (Motilium) can be used to increase milk supply.
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Postby DandelionFrosting » 16 Mar 2015, 11:50

If you're still getting milk out and it's only been a week, I'm sure it won't be as arduous as if it had been months or years, which is what most of the relactation tutorials are about. It's more about increasing supply. And what Marron said -- you can always stop again if it gets too much. But if you want to try, now would probably be the easiest time. Even if it's just one feed a day or something, if you want to try then go for it! It'll make the formula can last that much longer. :) I hope it helps you get rid of the mastitis. ((()))
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 16 Mar 2015, 23:40

Turtle'sMammy wrote:Domperidone.

I read that as Dom Perignon!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry - nothing to add - just laughing at myself!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Violet_Cue » 17 Mar 2015, 11:37

I think you could, since it is still fairly early... but... I think it is going to take pumping as well as nursing to increase supply... that would still allow DH to help... I am currently almost exclusively pumping, which is a ton of extra work, but so far makes cluster feeding at night a little more tolerable - we offer 2-3 smaller bottles with the breast in between (whichever is more convenient depending where we are in supper and J's bedtime routine.)

Nothing wrong with mixed feeding either :)
Canadian mom to J - Feb 2011 and L - March 2015
See my face painting at www.facebook.com/create.a.face.nl
Violet_Cue

Postby CaelaCoo » 19 Mar 2015, 20:29

After much discussion with a health visitor and with my husband I decided to keep baby c on bottles.

My health visitor actually said he was better off with formula because he was so small.in fact she called him a preemie even though he was born just at term.

He us starting to gain weight beautifully now and I am much happier with his progress. Thank you for all your advice and comments
*Moo moo's (26/03/13)*
*baby c (4/3/15)*
CaelaCoo

Return to Birth to BLW