BFing - so hard in the beginning! - now with lipase

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

Re: BFing - so hard in the beginning! - now with lipase

Postby Violet_Cue » 16 Mar 2015, 00:51

I've dropped the soap, but bought some Oxiclean free and may start using that now - it's what I used for brewing. Bottle on the counter seems to be good for about 3 hours, so not scalding all of Little Bit's milk. There is a definite start of turning once left in the fridge for a bit, but I seem to be able to leave the early 5am pump to scald in the morning.

Lucky scalding doesn't add to much extra trouble, since I am producing so much and was so looking forward to helping my friend.

Little bit is still mostly on the bottle... trying not to worry but life and stuff tends to have me 4 hours between pumping, and I'm worried I'm going to end up with diminished supply... thoughts? It may not be any different than if he was nursing ever 2hours but only taking one side at a time? This is all so much guess work - even when you know so much!
Canadian mom to J - Feb 2011 and L - March 2015
See my face painting at www.facebook.com/create.a.face.nl
Violet_Cue

Postby DandelionFrosting » 16 Mar 2015, 07:25

I'm definitely not an expert with my sample size of me, but I don't think the 4 hours is a problem. When I was exclusively pumping for Saurus for about a month in the beginning, it ended up being at intervals of about 4 hours and I ended up with oversupply. (I was staying one bottle ahead, so I'd pump and leave the bottle sitting around until he got hungry, try to BF him, give him the bottle, then pump a new one. He rarely finished off a whole bottle, but I always pumped everything I could get, so things very quickly got a bit out of hand.) When Zilla was little and I didn't have to pump for her, she still pretty quickly went to 4-hour intervals, except she only took one side at a time, so each side was doing 8-hour intervals, and supply still didn't diminish. But, like I said, sample size of one.

I just wanted to add how absolutely awesome you are for doing all this. You are working SO hard at this and yeah, you already know it'll get easier so I'm not going to go and say that again, but right now it is really hard and you're still doing it anyway and I think you're pretty amazing. <3 Keep on rocking the world!
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby Violet_Cue » 16 Mar 2015, 10:50

Aw, thanks DF :)
Canadian mom to J - Feb 2011 and L - March 2015
See my face painting at www.facebook.com/create.a.face.nl
Violet_Cue

Previous

Return to Birth to BLW