3rd child. BLW not as easy as I rememebr it. Lots of choking

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

3rd child. BLW not as easy as I rememebr it. Lots of choking

Postby Soph7876 » 06 Mar 2015, 21:20

My first child was a food expert from the off. He was the most efficient eater , he loved it, ate everything and never choked. He occasionally gagged but that was it. Second child and I had pretty much the same experience. I have been the biggest advocate of BLW and told everyone to do it. It has been a few years since these two. I am a week or two in to weaning baby no. 3. He is picking it up, he is enjoying the flavours and the whole process BUT the minute he manages to actually get any food into his mouth he chokes (it looks like choking not gagging to me), and then he is sick. I have had to whip him out of his high chair a couple of times and get him face down about to pat back and he has brought it up.
Although my other two didn't do this I don't know if this will get better. Will he just take longer to get the hang of it or are some babies just unable to do BLW. As I figure it there is no point doing purées as I am only putting off this same problem in a few months time!
Have any of you and this same problem? Should I give up, or will he just get the hang of it?
Soph7876

Re: 3rd child. BLW not as easy as I rememebr it. Lots of cho

Postby mamapup » 06 Mar 2015, 22:57

He will get the hang of it. Everyone learns to eat! As.you say, going to mush just prolongs his journey. My little Croc started earlier than the puppy and she was much gaggier so I gave her less gaggy foods until she got a bit more proficient.

I don't have experience of a six month old gagging though as she really did start early so was fine by six months. I k ow others here did though.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby EnigmaFish » 06 Mar 2015, 23:41

I agree - give him foods that he seems less inclined to gag on, and leave the gaggy foods for later!
He will get the hang of eating, eventually. Some of us just seem to take longer to get there. My first was a pro, like yours. My second seems to be struggling a bit. She has just started biting bits off, but it's quite clear she's not happy with them being in her mouth and can't figure out what to do next. I anticipate a lot of gagging once she works out how to move it back towards her throat.
Have you been showing him how to chew? Great big cartoonish chewing, so he sees what you're doing? The older two might enjoy helping with that. And also, of course, this would be a great opportunity to take a course/refresher in first aid.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby lisbeth » 07 Mar 2015, 00:07

My second was really gaggy. At about 6 months I remember it took over half an hour to give him a dose of Calpol, so we didn't even get going on solids until about 7 months, and his nappies didn't change for at least another month after that so it took ages for him to learn to swallow too. Gagging seemed to go on for ever, and it got a bit tiresome clearing up the milk that came up with the gags (we ended up using a bib with a scoop, which was yuk, but at least mostly contained) but he really didn't seem bothered. He has always appeared to love food. There were a couple of scary silent gags that we thought were chokes, but in hindsight I'm not so sure. Eventually he stopped, but it was a gradual process.

No 1 took to food like a pro, so no 2 was a bit of a shock, and I'm glad he wasn't my first. We stuck to stuff that was marginally less gaggy until he sorted himself out, and actually not much in volume, but he did get there in the end!

I hope your little boy shows some progress soon, because I remember it not being fun to watch them gag.
--
dd Jan 11, ds Dec 12
A 2011, R 2012
lisbeth

Postby Soph7876 » 07 Mar 2015, 19:54

Thanks for that. You have all said what I was hoping to hear ....just needed a bit of encourangement to carry on. I really don't want to go down the purée route . What foods do you think would be better for him then? I thought sweet potato would be a really soft 'less gaggy' food but same result. The annoying thing is he is really enjoying the flavours and great at picking up and getting it to his mouth. On wards and upwards.
Soph7876

Postby lisbeth » 07 Mar 2015, 23:37

I don't know how helpful this will be, but I just read my diary from the early weeks of weaning no 2, and pasta was probably our most successful food - we had a shape like a curly macaroni so it was easy to pick up, but didn't disintegrate when he sucked the sauce off. We seemed to eat a lot of pasta in a variety of sauces around then! However we had some success with toast, crusts of bread, roast chicken, chicken curry or casseroles, fish, roast potatoes, roast parsnip, broccoli and courgette. Fruits like mango, nectarine and melon were ok too. Banana made him gag, as did soft bread, porridge, and baked potato. I think soft, sticky or flaky stuff made him gag most. However, it was quite a bit of trial and error. I don't think he actually swallowed anything in any volume until he was at least 8 months, he kind of chewed it a bit and it fell out of his mouth, but the meals we had then are still some of his favourites, so I think just tasting stuff was good.
A 2011, R 2012
lisbeth

Return to Birth to BLW