Hmmm, not so fun this time round!

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

Hmmm, not so fun this time round!

Postby Shuna » 02 Jan 2015, 19:54

Hi, my 2nd baby is 6 1/2 months old. My 1st baby took to BLW like a dream. It was so much fun and he ate everything in sight. Wolfed down entire pears and bananas, and anything else we put in front of him, with no teeth until 3 months later! My 2nd has always been a little less advanced in many ways and we weren't sure he was ready at 6 months (mainly as he wasn't showing much interest in watching us and his hand to mouth coordination wasn't that great/couldn't keep hold of toys etc). However, we did put food in front of him - just bits of our meals that we all sat down to eat, and he began feeding himself no problem, and learned very quickly how to coordinate hand to mouth, and enjoyed it! However, this past week has been a nightmare. He's getting very whingey at the table, and often throws a right strop, until I have to give up and take him away from the table. He's refusing to pick things up and put them in his mouth, including things he started with, toast fingers, veg, chicken, even breadsticks etc. I admit I have spoonfed him a few things, and he just seems to prefer that...so: yoghurt (always loves, still), cereals, stewed apple/pear, mushed up cottage pie etc. He often still gets mardy about it, but definitely prefers that method. So, does this mean I should go down the spoonfed route?? (in a way. it's baby-led as it's what he wants). I am really reluctant to...especially if it means puree-ing. One of the things I love about BLW is that I'm lazy, and, especially with him being our second, it would be so much easier if he just joins in our meals (less time/energy!). I guess I could just mash up our meals. So, my question(s) is/are: Should I try and persevere with BLW and how? and/or if I do spoonfeed (perhaps for a bit, until he's happy feeding himself again?) how do I go about this? Do I have to puree? What foods should I be gving him? Whole meals pureed/mashed up or just veg etc? I suppose that's not your area of expertise!

I imagine you will say not to worry, just put food in front of him and don't worry if he doesn't eat it. But I put food in front of him and he gets really cross! No fun at all!

He's a very big baby and I think he gets hungry. If he doesn't eat in between, he will need to breastfeed every 2 hours.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Shuna

Re: Hmmm, not so fun this time round!

Postby Kitcameron » 02 Jan 2015, 21:23

I'd say just stop trying to give him solids for a few days or so. If necessary up his milk feeds. It could be any number of reasons: teething maybe, illness, developmental leap.

He's still very little really, although I also have a Chunker for a second baby whose just turned seven months so I understand the feeling that they're not little babies lol, but they are really when it comes to eating. Babies are all different and having a whizz kid first time round makes it harder in some ways second time round cos you can't help compare. Try not to worry too much though, he'll get there.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby mamapup » 02 Jan 2015, 22:21

Yup. I agree. Also a.giant second baby here. She sometimes doesn't eat either. I guess we just trust them. I tend to blame.teeth personally.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 02 Jan 2015, 22:23

Teeth are always to blame, even when they have none or all of them.
Kitcameron

Postby Shuna » 03 Jan 2015, 12:08

ha, yes it always helps to put everything down to teething! Your words have reminded me that I just need to relax, otherwise meal times become unpleasant and stressful for both my LO and myself, which is v anti the point of BLW isn't it! Any thoughts on spoonfeeding temporarily if he's happier to eat that way? (the other day he ate a whole stewed apple and a whole stewed pear that way, after refusing to pick up a piece of pear!) or do you think it's BLW or nowt?!
Shuna

Postby mamapup » 03 Jan 2015, 13:45

If he wants it, do it. My little croc often asks to be spoon fed. Still blw if it's asked for.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 03 Jan 2015, 14:17

What MP said.
Kitcameron

Return to Birth to BLW