Stinky nappies

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

Stinky nappies

Postby mamapup » 27 May 2014, 08:19

I've been searching on google but can't find anything that fits my problem so thought I'd ask here.

Little croc is exclusively breast fed. She's eleven weeks today and for the last week or so, every now and again her poo looks runnier than normal and stinks of sulphur. It usually goes on long enough for me to start wondering if there's a problem (a couple of nappies) and then returns to normal smell and consistency. But then it happens again. I changed two really stinky nappies in the night last night.

I have a phone appointment with a GP tomorrow to ask them what it could be but I wonder if others here have experienced this? I guess it could be too much foremilk but it's never green poo. The other thing I'm wondering about it the rotavirus immunisation. She had it two weeks ago today but none of the rest of us have had a dodgy tummy so that would be odd, no?

I'm really hoping she's not allergic to anything I'm eating.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Re: Stinky nappies

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 27 May 2014, 08:47

My lactation consultant suggested that sulphur smelling farts could be linked to thrush. I don't know about this though because LC had done fairly stinky sulphurous farts well after the thrush had gone. Hasn't been any for a while so maybe they were linked to the rotavirus vaccination?
Lovely Crumpet born June 2011 and little Chompy born January 2014.
Toasty Crumpet

Postby mamapup » 27 May 2014, 08:54

Thrush? Wouldn't I have to have it for her to have it? I don't , as far as I know.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 27 May 2014, 08:57

We both had it at the same time and would seem unlikely if LC had it that you wouldn't.
Toasty Crumpet

Postby mamapup » 27 May 2014, 18:16

My mum reckons it's "all the stinky cheese " I eat. While I agree it could be the gorgonzola /camembert duo I enjoyed the other day, I object to the adjective choice on behalf of all delicious cheeses everywhere.

mamapup

Postby Spanner » 27 May 2014, 19:11

The rotavirus vacc can cause diarrhoea (just had second one today so nurse warned me) but it seems a long time since?
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Postby Sallie » 27 May 2014, 19:17

Babybel had terrible stinks, it was a bit embarrassing as it didn't smell like it could be the baby. Only thing I noticed was it was worse if I ate Quorn, don't know if you do that? So I stopped. I think it stopped at 5 or 6 months, I did ask health visitor and BF counsellor but everyone just said not to worry about it.

Some friends recently told me they had had a tummy parasite that caused sulphurous gas and, in their words, mr whippy poos but her baby didn't get it, probably because she was breastfeeding which protects against stomach bugs and parasites. I think it's a good idea to check with the GP though just in case...
Mum to BabyCob, born October 2010 and Babybel, born September 2013
Sallie

Postby mamapup » 27 May 2014, 21:43

Thanks.

I have a call booked with gp for tomorrow. She seems to have stopped them again. I won't eat cheese for two days and then have a binge (shame) and see what happens.
I agree, they are quite unbaby smells! We are driving a lot tomorrow, she nay stink us out of the car!

And no, I haven't eaten quorn recently, must get some yummy quorn sausages soon though. We aren't even vege and we really like them.

mamapup

Postby emzit » 27 May 2014, 22:42

Snuffler is really stinky as well. He only poos occasionally (every five days or so?) but when he does it smells and his farts can be pretty pungent. His poo has been runnier the last couple of times but it's not affecting weight gain (weighed yesterday and given a gold star for putting on more weight than he needed to even though he's dropped down from 75th to 50th centipede, hooray for HVs who don't flip out over that). I don't eat stinky cheese and I haven't had thrush... So will be interested to hear what your GP says, MP.

Eta snuffler hasn't has his vax yet so it's definitely not that in his case.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 28 May 2014, 08:43

Emzit, I love in your post that snuffler has dropped from 75th to 50th centipede!
Toasty Crumpet

Postby emzit » 28 May 2014, 08:53

Hehe, I didn't notice that!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby mamapup » 30 May 2014, 20:03

Emzit, Gp said.not rotavirus, most likely to be something I ate. Certainly hasn't happened since I cut back on the camembert. Will add it back next week and see what happens.

mamapup

Postby emzit » 30 May 2014, 21:08

Thanks MP. Snuffler's last poo was back to normal but my diet is exactly the same so who knows what it was that I ate!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Simmy » 05 Mar 2016, 09:54

Sallie wrote:Babybel had terrible stinks, it was a bit embarrassing as it didn't smell like it could be the baby. Only thing I noticed was it was worse if I ate Quorn, don't know if you do that? So I stopped. I think it stopped at 5 or 6 months, I did ask health visitor and BF counsellor but everyone just said not to worry about it.

Some friends recently told me they had had a tummy parasite that caused sulphurous gas and, in their words, mr whippy poos but her baby didn't get it from https://skinnyexpress.com/phen375-review the official Phen375 site, probably because she was breastfeeding which protects against stomach bugs and parasites. I think it's a good idea to check with the GP though just in case...

Same horrible sulphur smelling poo here as well. By the sounds of it, it will go away on it's own. Just has me a bit worried that there's something else that could be wrong?
Last edited by Simmy on 13 May 2016, 19:36, edited 2 times in total.
Simmy

Postby EnigmaFish » 07 Mar 2016, 23:05

Good lord, I hope it went away by now. Little Croc must be nearly two, and I can't imagine mamapup would have survived two whole years without "all the stinky cheese" she loves to eat.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Return to Birth to BLW