Post birth constipation

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

Post birth constipation

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 11 Nov 2013, 15:11

I'm now 2 weeks since giving birth and I'm still finding it a bit difficult to poo easily. I had a third degree tear but it seems to be healing nicely and I don't think I have any psychological issues with going. I'm on 2 doses of lactulose and 1 fybergel sachet a day and would like to get off them. Is this normal? How long does it usually take to get back to normal?
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Re: Post birth constipation

Postby Nix » 11 Nov 2013, 15:18

I was on lactulose for about 8 weeks after Pippa but then one weekend I ran out and had to have a few days off and I found out that I didn't need it after all. I find my constipation is directly linked to my hormones/periods/births. It's flared up this week because I got my first pp period. Grrrr!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby MumtoMonsters » 11 Nov 2013, 15:19

To put far too fine a point on it, did you have a big clear out before baby arrived? I believe there was nothing left in me to expell after having G and it took a good couple of weeks for everything to return to normal. I didn't bother with lactulose, just took fybergel a few times a day to make sure that anything that was on its way out would be as painless as possible.
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Re: Post birth constipeation

Postby Ali70 » 11 Nov 2013, 18:39

I struggled for about a week. Following lots of prunes, figs etc i produced something that looked like it had come from an elephant (embarrassingly it was too big to flush and DH got me a stick out of the garden to break it up with.) I've still no idea how I managed to pass it! once that blockage had cleared I was back to normal. Although DH still teases me about needing a poo stick :-(
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby va.x » 11 Nov 2013, 18:40

2 weeks is still early. If you are still finding it difficult I would continue til 6weeksish. I'm 10wks now and only recently stopped lactulose. Hydration and exercise are the 2 important things for my systems!

V.x
mum to pumpkin (Nov 2008)
mum again to frog (March 2011)
mum *again* to jellybean (August 2013)
va.x

Return to Birth to BLW