Coldsore and newborn :-(

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

Coldsore and newborn :-(

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 01 Nov 2013, 13:11

So I've managed to get my first ever cold sore 3 days after having a baby. So I have active Herpes virus and apparently if I pass it on it can be really bad for a newborn, I seem to remember a case in the news a while back when someone's baby died. I've mentioned it to the midwife today and she says as long as I don't kiss her on the lips then should be fine although DH doesn't want me to kiss her anywhere which is tough but makes sense :( . We're getting some zofirex (sp?) this afternoon, does anyone have any other tips on this? TIA.
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Re: Coldsore and newborn :-(

Postby monkeydo » 01 Nov 2013, 13:41

I had a coldsore when J was about 3 weeks old. I got those compeed patches that cover the area. I did try not to kiss him, but if I forgot I didn't feel too bad because it was covered over.

I should add though I have had coldsores before so from what I recall it's less of an issue than if you have your first one after the baby is born?
Mum to little man J born February 2012 and little lady R born July 2014
monkeydo

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 01 Nov 2013, 14:39

Thanks monkeydo. Yes, I think if you've had them before you can pass on immunity.
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby Disco » 01 Nov 2013, 14:49

I had one in A's first week too. I just used zovirex, and tried not to kiss him, although I think I did kiss the top of his head. He was fine, obviously.

Hope you manage to get rid of it soon. You're aware of the dangers and wont be snogging the newborn, that'll be enough to keep her safe IMO.
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby MrsDale » 01 Nov 2013, 16:15

I second the compeed plasters. Not only do they keep it covered up but they help it to heal quicker. Take Ibuprofen if it's painful, as it will help with the swelling and mean it doesn't get as big.

I remember the newspaper article you are talking about, it struck a chord with me as I get them too. If your LO becomes unwell at all definitely mention the coldsore, it sounds as though speed is really important in treating it in a little one.

Oh and I find Zovirax absolutely useless!!
MrsDale

Postby Lily » 01 Nov 2013, 19:32

My DH gets them quite a lot. He also finds Zovirax useless, but a few months ago he started taking a lyseine supplement which seems to work really well as a preventative. He's not had any since taking it. Worth a go if you find it recurs.

Hope it heals up soon.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby gaynorm » 01 Nov 2013, 20:12

I got one 2weeks before giving birth and my gynae said to put vanilla essence on. It dries it up immediately. So when u feel it starting to come out.. apply vanilla essence and it dries it up within a day or 2. I tried it the next time I got it. It was barely visible and it completely stopped it from going bigger. The cheapest coldsore remedy :-)
Diva M 3.5yrs
Diva M² 6months
gaynorm

Postby Ducky » 01 Nov 2013, 20:20

Is it worth just talking to a GP about it? You can get oral antivirals which can speed up the healing process, and whilst they probably wouldn't usually be given for oral herpes they might be in exceptional circumstances. Have you only just recently come into contact with cold sores, or does your partner (or previous partner/mum/dad/friends) have them and this is the first time you have had symptoms? That matters in terms of whether or not you are likely to have already developed antibodies. Are you feeling well in yourself or do you have any flu like symptoms at all?

I would err on the side of extreme caution, the chances are it will all be fine but I would def be very careful.
DS1 born Spring 2009
DS2 born Summer 2011
Ducky

Postby meerkatsmum » 01 Nov 2013, 23:05

I got one when M was a day or two and the midwives at the hospital said not to kiss her anywhere at all it was horrible. I get them all the time though. I use the compeed patches too. I like that they completely cover it and I've found them way more effective than any topical cream I've tried. I used to use the anti viral tablets but didn't find them very effective when it had already come up. That may be different if its your first though. They were also very expensive here.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 03 Nov 2013, 18:45

Thanks for all the advice. Been using both zovirax and compeed type things and it looks loads better. Hopefully gone soon.
Where'stheMistletoe

Return to Birth to BLW