getting them to sleep...

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

getting them to sleep...

Postby va.x » 24 Oct 2013, 14:38

So it seems I never pick up her sleep cues (hardly surprising give her being pntb :oops: ). She always seems to have to scream herself to sleep which is obviously dreadful and actually embarrassing when out. I feel like i'm failing publicly... She does a lot of mouthing so I think people think she is hungry and i'm not feeding her :-(. Actually it would be easier if she would feed to sleep but no not her style.

So tips people. How long can your 8wk old be awake for? What sleep cues am I missing? Even popping her in the sling, which I do a lot, still results in lots of screaming before giving up.

I hate screaming :-(

V.x
mum to pumpkin (Nov 2008)
mum again to frog (March 2011)
mum *again* to jellybean (August 2013)
va.x

Re: getting them to sleep...

Postby junglewonderland » 24 Oct 2013, 14:44

I thought hugs and boobs would.solve everything. But the only way Koala would ever go to sleep was left alone, screaming. If I was there, or shushing, patting or even just in sight he would take longer to get to sleep, with more screaming. The screaming got less and less and now he is an awesome sleeper. I'm hoping your bub will be the same!
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby RJandA » 24 Oct 2013, 14:52

((())) It's tough. Big A used to suck fingers and grizzle (actually she does still suck her fingers to go to sleep) and people used to say "ooooh, must be hungry" which used to piss me off because I knew she was tired and felt like they were judging me for not feeding her.

Would a dummy help, if you're not against them? Big A would never take one, but she was about 12 weeks I think when she got the hang of sucking her own fingers properly and from then it was easier. Up to then she used to just suck my little finger to fall asleep quite a bit, easier in the sling than in the buggy!
Mum to Big A - (March 2010), Li'l A - (December 2012)
RJandA

Postby Alstarofwonder » 24 Oct 2013, 14:55

Well R is only 7 weeks and it does vary, but today she has only been awake for about an hour to an hour and a half each time and then zonked in the moby (with some crying). But I think she is having a bit of a growth spurt as she's upped her milk intake today too, so it'll probably all change again tomorrow! We've also started giving her a bit of gripe water every so often as it seems to calm her and send her to sleep. My mantra at the moment is it will get better and one day soon this will all be a memory!
Mum to E (squizzer) since 9/8/11 and R (monkey chops) 3/9/13
Alstarofwonder

Postby sabrina fair » 24 Oct 2013, 18:41

Sorry, boob or sling (often after some crying) mainly works here so I'm not much help...though I'm not sure I notice any sleep cues either - I don't think it's overly clear what they want at this age. Like you, we have mouthing when he's tired and not hungry. I figure it'll get easier as he develops more of a routine/pattern...I'm sure monkeyboy had a long phase when he woke, fed, played then.slept again (usually bounced to sleep).
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby mamapup » 24 Oct 2013, 18:44

MrC used to do a weird rocking thing with his arms out in front of him. Sadly it was never something I could replicate as not enough arm strength. Also had a shouty to sleep baby . He cried for 12 mins and then slept. If he didn't sleep then he wasn't going to. He was also the baby everyone stopped to ask if he was ok because he cried a lot when out. I feel your pain.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby emzit » 24 Oct 2013, 19:41

We used to count yawns - we were given some advice about having to get the down between the second and third yawns, that seemed to work pretty well when muncher was tiny.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Cait » 24 Oct 2013, 19:51

I can't remember what Pootle's sleep cues were :oops: But put a bit of fleece on her face and it was like she'd had ether!
Pootle - May 2011 (after a long time trying)
Doing whatever works for us whenever I know what that is and with Green & Black's white chocolate whenever possible.
Cait

Postby va.x » 24 Oct 2013, 20:01

thanks guys, its always nice to know your not the only one.

I think being brave about back carries might be worth trying and also deciding about dummies. I guess I just thought I could avoid the whole remembering to take them everywhere (still get in to trouble with Frog when she is really tired and out with no dummy, although she only gets it for nap/bed).

V.x
va.x

Postby Pics » 24 Oct 2013, 20:23

at 7 weeks, she can sometimes manage an hour and a half or even 2 hours - but sometimes half an hour is just too much for her.

She also likes to sometimes cry a bit before sleeping. I put her down to deal with some toddler poo incident and feel really guilty about leveing her crying in the pram - then 5 minutes later she is fast asleep and has a really good deep sleep that i couldn;t get her to have when falling asleep being cuddled or on the breast.

Elodie used to need to have a good cry before sleeping. Once we worked this out we did feel abit weird at night saying - sh yes, she's cruing now - at last she will go to sleep. But she was older and this would be after half ab hour of chatting away to herself in her cot.
Mummy to 3 scrumptious BLWers, who sometimes rebel + ask for spoonfeeding (2007, 2010, 2013). Antilop chair, slings, cloth nappies, no steam mop but awaiting permission for special handshake which probably involves porridge.
http://www.slingtastic.com
Pics

Postby mamapup » 24 Oct 2013, 20:45

emzit wrote:We used to count yawns - we were given some advice about having to get the down between the second and third yawns, that seemed to work pretty well when muncher was tiny.

Oh yeah, this. I remember this one. Good one, ta for the nudge (totally stealing that back).
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby va.x » 25 Oct 2013, 12:13

Well I think I have just had a2 hour duel nap from frog and jellybean... Both in their beds, I can't quite believe it!

And I just wrapped up jellybean and put her under her mobile with the sound of frog playing on his innotab on the bed next to her, :-O

Now I wonder is this is one-hit-wonder or repeatable... Not counting chickens, in-laws coming for the weekend...

V.x
va.x

Postby Mummyto1 » 25 Oct 2013, 12:45

Well done V.ax - dual naps are the holy grail aren't they!
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby va.x » 25 Oct 2013, 18:56

Mummyto1 wrote:Well done V.ax - dual naps are the holy grail aren't they!

You can say that again :D
V.x
va.x

Return to Birth to BLW