Talk to me about Homebirth please...

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

Talk to me about Homebirth please...

Postby Rosella » 03 Oct 2013, 06:52

Considering Homebirth for number two due in 6wks.

Would love to hear your experiences, thoughts and tips etc x x
Mum to Miles Nov 2011

Independant Consultant for The Pampered Chef - http://www.facebook.com/HollysPamperedChef
Rosella

Re: Talk to me about Homebirth please...

Postby meerkatsmum » 03 Oct 2013, 09:37

I'm 25 weeks and we changed from obstetrician lead care Ina private (non-baby friendly) hospital at about 20 weeks. I just got to the point where I couldn't imagine walking into the hospital to have a baby.

I'm not sure what to say really. I obviously don't have any experience yet. Do you have questions about why someone would choose home birth or you more want to k ow if people were glad they did it?

There have been quite a few on here, might be worth having a look back at borth stories.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby sabrina fair » 03 Oct 2013, 09:49

I've had two wonderful, calm homebirths. For us it became a bit of a no-brainer because we have the same midwife care here whether we choose home or hospital (and in fact more focused mw care if you're at home because they don't have anyone else to look after), so we figured we were prepared to risk a transfer to hospital if necessary than the certainty of having to time.getting to hospital and having to give birth in an unfamiliar environment. It worked out brilliantly for me.

My birth story is on here somewhere - sorry on phone so can't link. Happy to give you info about practicalities of towels/waterproof covers etc if that would help.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby pimento » 03 Oct 2013, 10:22

I had a homebirth in February- viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40271&hilit=+edward

Here's a good website with lots of info - practical stuff like what you 'need' and lots of birth stories. http://homebirthersandhopefuls.com/
Last edited by pimento on 03 Oct 2013, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Postby Eleanor » 03 Oct 2013, 10:32

I planned a homebirth first time but ended up transferring into hospital after several hours' labour. Actually I felt happier and more secure there than I did at home, but then I'd had no previous labour experience in hosp to put me off! I think the important thing is being open-minded, like with any birth, and not getting too hung up on it having to be a certain way if things start to go differently.
Eleanor

Postby meerkatsmum » 03 Oct 2013, 11:27

sabrina fair wrote:Happy to give you info about practicalities of towels/waterproof covers etc if that would help.

SF, I wouldn't mind hearing some of this. What's the clean up like? I'm a bit worried about this. I've been told I need old towels, wedding have old towels so I'm going to have to buy new cheap towels. Do you just throw them out or can you wash them and use them as normal? Basically, how much mess is there?
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby pimento » 03 Oct 2013, 12:21

I had about 10 towels and was able to keep all of them. I had a waterbirth so a lot of the mess was contained to the pool but used quite a few for afterwards anyway. The midwives bring disposable incontinence (puppy) pads as well.
Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Postby SparklePetal » 03 Oct 2013, 12:24

meerkatsmum wrote:I'm going to have to buy new cheap towels. Do you just throw them out or can you wash them and use them as normal? Basically, how much mess is there?

I borrowed oldish dark coloured ones from mother and mother-in-law to supplement mine, then made sure DH knew what settings on the washing machine and where the biological washing powder was - not a stain on anything :D Something I hadn't really thought through is that the MW says "where's a blanket for baby?" and wraps the brand new, slimy baby in whatever you hand over, so DH was giving her our nice, white blanket which wouldn't have been my best choice! However, that came clean just fine as well. The MWs did bring plenty of those inco-pads to absorb whatever was overflowing out of me and protect our bed linen though... Although we had a tarp over everything we could think of!. x-posted with CO
Mum to DD Snow White (30/11/08) and DS Bluebird (13/09/11)
<><
http://sparklepetal.wordpress.com
SparklePetal

Postby sabrina fair » 03 Oct 2013, 15:03

Clean up was easy - or so I'm told as it was done while I was in the bath! We didn't bother getting the pool set up either time because they were quick labours and I was happy on our bed. It was covered with a couple of metres of pvc-covered fabric - the type that's used for table cloths - which was a few quid from Dunelm Mill. That was put soft-side up, with an old soft sheet over the top for comfort. Then we had a super-cheap duvet with old cover which I could pull over me without worrying about it getting mucky. We chucked most of the stuff afterwards because they were old anyway, but, like SP did, some darker-coloured towels we washed just fine.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby Mummyto1 » 03 Oct 2013, 15:28

We got some new towels to keep and used our oldest other towels for the birth, but there was surprisingly little mess. I did have a water birth though so guess as said above, that probably contained the worst of it. But I was stitched up on the sofa and there was no marks there afterwards - I think we had a waterproof cover plus a sheet on there but as others have said I think the big pads the midwives brought ended up being the most useful.
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 03 Oct 2013, 18:08

I got towels off Freecycle and ended up with better quality ones than my Gran had! If I had thought on I could have used hers and sent her some new ones!

The cleanup was simple, the dirty towels and waterproof sheets just went in the bin. I had a water birth but got out for the placenta.

If you can, get a birth pool. Getting in it was AMAZING and I'm sure I got a lot of pain relief from it. I had the pool in the dining room so when we were finished I just waddled through to the front room and left mum and DP to the clearing up!

Erm... I'm sure there is more. I'll come back. But the main thing is I would definitely have a home birth again. It is so good to be in familiar surroundings with the support you need right there.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Jelly Belly » 03 Oct 2013, 18:30

All three of my babies were born in the front room. I can't imagine trying to travel to hospital while in labour without a really good reason to. At home, I can't have forgotten to pack anything, have my own bathroom and pool and can access whatever food I want/need. The rest of the family can be nearby without crowding my space and the familiarity is comforting (even when I'd only lived here for three weeks before The Chooby arrived!).

Everything washed - despite 2 PPHs (both controlled at home with minimal fuss). I transfered for stitches after the Chooby was born but am still pleased everything else happened at home. I now know I cope better with known midwives so I feel fairly sure an unfamiliar environment would also make things harder for me.

Do you have a homebirth support group in your area? Things can vary between the different trusts and local experience can be very useful.
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby robyn » 03 Oct 2013, 18:37

Oh I wish I could have a HB, never going to be now though :(
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby oriel » 03 Oct 2013, 19:02

We didn't expect to have a home birth so just used our normal towels. The stains washed out perfectly (possibly because they got washed straight away).

If I manage to conceive again I'd like a planned home birth next time!
Faith 12.12.2007—29.12.2009.
Zoe 19.07.2013.
oriel

Postby ToothFairy » 03 Oct 2013, 20:26

I had a home water birth with Dilly. The mess was pretty much confined to the pool, which just went down the outside drain. I only had white towels, but they came clean no problem.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Next

Return to Birth to BLW