Dry scaly skin on newborn

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

Dry scaly skin on newborn

Postby Biddy » 15 Sep 2013, 21:04

Not my newborn!! Just asking on behalf of a friend.

Her son is a few weeks old and he suffers a few skin problems. First baby acne which refuses to go, then he developed very dry skin on his body and also cradle cap. I've given her advice on the cradle cap but it's the dry skin she's concerned about. She says it's so dry it feels like leather, and peeling too. She's on a dairy-free diet to see if that makes a difference (he's a bit colicky so she thinks it could be related). She's tried various oils on his skin but it makes no difference. The GP gave her some sort of epiderm cream for him but that isn't making a difference either so far. Can anyone here recommend a cream or something which might help his skin?
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Re: Dry scaly skin on newborn

Postby A_W » 15 Sep 2013, 21:09

I think both of mine kind of shed their skin after being born. They were very flakey and dry. I must admit I just didn't bath them very often - about once a fortnight and never used soap. Just water and a little rub with a towel. It sorted itself out after a few weeks. If it is cracking then I would use some cream but defnitely not sudacrem! That will not help at all as it's too drying. I think I might have used some doublebase on A that I had from the doc's for H. It's quite light and easy to absorb.
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby Pics » 15 Sep 2013, 21:15

Iona had flakey dry skin, and this one has it too. I plan to check with the midwife tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I was advised to just use plain olive oil last time. It never bothered her.
Mummy to 3 scrumptious BLWers, who sometimes rebel + ask for spoonfeeding (2007, 2010, 2013). Antilop chair, slings, cloth nappies, no steam mop but awaiting permission for special handshake which probably involves porridge.
http://www.slingtastic.com
Pics

Postby catkin » 15 Sep 2013, 21:21

How many weeks is a few? My babies peeled all over at around ??3-4 weeks, then once that had gone they were fine (tho do have a little eczema now they're older). We just olive oiled them at that age. Actually I think it may have been up to 6ish weeks as I remember asking the doctor about it at mouse's 6 week check. But sounds like this is more serious? Do the docs reckon eczema? is it red at all? Does it seem to be bothering the baby?
If what they've given her isn't working I'd suggest going back to the GP, there are lots of options, but I'd want a doctor to say what's appropriate to try next with a newborn.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby BLTMama » 15 Sep 2013, 23:00

LT was so scaly on his hands and feet that we called him the little dinosaur! He had baby acne quite badly, and newborn rash, and cradle cap, too (FWIW, Badger *still* has some cradle cap).

I can't recall exactly how long it took to go away, but I didn't use anything and his skin has been clear for quite a while now. I think the nurses said that late babies tend to get a little dried out and "pickled" in amniotic fluid; was your friend's baby late?

If it doesn't seem to be bothering him, I'd let it be. I think sometimes people expect newborns to be all pink and smooth, but sometimes they just look kind of -- well, red and blotchy and terrible. :wink:
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 15 Sep 2013, 23:32

DS has epaderm, it took a while to make a difference but is much better than we had before. If it is a food allergy then cutting that out of her diet will make a massive difference, but the epaderm needs to be slathered on regularly at this stage, several times a day. What is she washing tha baby in? She should reduce baths to no more than once or twice a week, washing in water or using the epaderm (we actually use the E45 emolliant bath, then as soon as DS is out of the bath and patted dry he gets covered in epaderm, that makes his skin lovely and soft but the bath looks terrible!). She should keep going back to the doctor until they find an emolliant that works, she doesn't want the eczema to get infected. Does she use scratchsleeves? Presumably her LO is still wearing the sleepsuits that have them inbuilt but once the LO gets older you can buy them and they are fab and make a big difference.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby melindastone13 » 06 Apr 2016, 09:41

Baby acne is acne that develops on a baby’s face or body. It is a common skin condition that is often temporary. In almost all cases, the acne will resolve on its own, even without treatment.
melindastone13

Postby BLTMama » 06 Apr 2016, 18:40

melindastone13 wrote:Baby acne is acne that develops on a baby’s face or body. It is a common skin condition that is often temporary. In almost all cases, the acne will resolve on its own, even without treatment.

So if it will resolve on its own, even without treatment, there's absolutely no reason for us to click on your link! Thanks so much!

:D :D :D
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Return to Birth to BLW