Switching from formula to whole milk advice please

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

Switching from formula to whole milk advice please

Postby Cuz » 20 Jul 2013, 03:51

Hi everyone,

Still fairly new to the site and looking for more advice please.

Our LO is 1 year old in a couple of weeks and we are looking to change her to whole milk.
She currently has room temperature formula milk in bottles and I'm wondering if it will be straightforward given the temperature change to cold milk as well as the taste difference?

Also, is it too much to consider switching from bottles at the same time and if we do that too what do we swap to? We currently give her water or juice in a Tomme Tippee explora easyflow active sipper but I assume it would be better to put milk in something smaller like the small Tomme Tippee free flow beaker without handles?

Help! :?
Father to 11 month old Bunny, BLW from 6 months.
Cuz

Re: Switching from formula to whole milk advice please

Postby Svea » 20 Jul 2013, 05:27

Firstly, why do you want to switch, and at this age? Is it a cost issue, 'laziness'? Or just cause that's what parenting books say/other people do? Secondly, are you satisfied with the amount and variety he eats?

My DDs were still BF at that stage, with daytime bottles. I wasn't too sure about the amounts of food with DD1 so kept her on first stage milk until about 15m or so, then started mixing formula and cows milk for her bottles. A few days of 3/4 to 1/4, followed by a few days of 50/50, and so on. I found she didn't like the milk cold from the fridge, so would put the milk bottle in a jug of hot water to warm to about room/body temperature. By that stage she was on maybe two bottles a day, poss 3.
With DD2, she was a great eater so I started mixed bottles around 12m.

Their daytime bottles away from me (day care) were just formula though as this was easier for the careers not to get confused. By approx 18m there were no more daytime bottles or feeds, though the evening one kept going for a long time. They both weaned themselves off bottles and dummies between 2 and 3 years so I wouldn't worry about replacing teats with cups unduly.
(And as it was only one bottle and dummies were for exclusive use in bed and nowhere else, I never saw that as an issue)

But that's just my experience and opinion.
Mama to M since 02/10/07, P since 08/03/10 and O 07/06/13
Svea

Postby mamapup » 20 Jul 2013, 05:43

We swapped around one. I'd offered the puppy whole milk a few times prior to that and he'd looked at me like I was nuts. For a while we did whole milk in the morning and formula at night and swapped only when we ran out! He was fine. He noticed for sure, took one suck, looked at me and then guzzled. We've never looked back. And he has it straight from the fridge.

Cant Help on bottle to sippy cup issue as the puppy never used bottles willingly so has been on sippy cups for a long time.

Good luck.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby pirate_han » 20 Jul 2013, 05:55

We switched after B turned 1. We got onto cows milk first, gradually as in one bottle for a few days, then two, then three (she was still on 3 then). She didn't seem to notice or care. Now she has milk in a bottle at bedtime but in the morning I just give her a beaker of milk and she has what she likes. She eats yoghurt and cheese so I don't worry about giving her any in the day, she just has water or smoothie from a beaker. No reason why you can't switch to an open cup now if you would like to. B has a Doidy cup but also uses the kids beakers from ikea (no handles) happily.
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby pimento » 20 Jul 2013, 07:00

I swapped at 1 year old and did it without mixing. It seems as long as it was white, she didn't care!
Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Postby Rose99 » 20 Jul 2013, 08:00

We had to do the mixing it with formula and gradually cutting down the amount of formula over a few days. DD was definitely fussy. Also she only ever took milk from a bottle - she didn't want it from a sippy cup!
Mum to DD born Dec 10 and DS born Feb 13.
Rose99

Postby Cuz » 21 Jul 2013, 05:34

Thank you all for your input, a great help!

Sven - A number of reasons I suppose but certainly not laziness, putting powder into some water isn't that hard! You're right though, it is easier and cheaper but the main reason is she's on 3 bottles a day now, 2 small ones in the daytime and a larger one at bedtime and she eats plenty of varied foods. Are there reasons against it that I should know apart from if she isn't getting enough nutrients from her food?

Good info on warming it a little if need be but if we had to do that it would feel like a step back from room temp powdered milk as that's easy to feed her at a moments notice wherever we are. You're right about bottles too I suppose, she'll phase them out herself soon enough if she decides not to switch and Bunny is much the same as your DD in the way of dummies, only for bedtime.

What would people consider a good eater? Bunny has a decent plate full at breakfast, lunch and dinner and usually eats the lot and plenty of fruit and veg. The only thing we don't do with her at the moment is give her snacks inbetween?

MamaPup - another good way to ease the transition, thanks.

Pirate_han - that's also a good one and the bottle at night beaker in the morning is good too. What are those beakers like from ikea? I've never seen them. We have a doidy cup so will start using that more often now she is even better with a sippy cup :-)

Cathyolive - let's hope we have it as easy as you!

Rose99 - if that's the worst it could get its not so bad. They all get there in the end :-)

Thanks again! :-D
Father to 11 month old Bunny, BLW from 6 months.
Cuz

Postby pirate_han » 21 Jul 2013, 05:56

Pirate_han - that's also a good one and the bottle at night beaker in the morning is good too. What are those beakers like from ikea? I've never seen them. We have a doidy cup so will start using that more often now she is even better with a sippy cup

They're literally brightly coloured small plastic cups. I originally bought them for water play at bathtime before I thought she could handle a cup without handles, and then when she drank the bath water out of it I figured well, if you can do that...:)
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Return to Birth to BLW