Introducing cup to 6 month old?

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

Introducing cup to 6 month old?

Postby MollyMoppet » 08 Jul 2013, 13:08

Hi all,
we're skipping bottles altogether and I wanna start introducing a cup to my 6 month old.

Was thinking of an open cup - something like the Bickiepegs doidy - anyone tried these, or am I just giving myself hassle by not using a normal sippy cup?

Also, any idea how long it would take for her to able to take a whole feed of expressed milk from an open cup? I know all babies are different but I have no clue at all :?

Thanks!
MollyMoppet

Re: Introducing cup to 6 month old?

Postby mamapup » 08 Jul 2013, 13:36

Doidy are fine but you'll be doing most of the holding to begin with. We also didnt do bottles but did milk in sippy cup and water with meals in doidy. If your little one is very steady and advanced she might manage a whole milk feed but I imagine you'd get bored!

The transition then to normal cup was seamless. The puppy still has milk from sippy cups. Water during the day is variously from sippy cup (usually a stolen one in the park), water bottle and straw or regular cup. He's one.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Twinkly » 08 Jul 2013, 16:16

I used doidy from 6 months with Tinky, but not for milk as she was BFed. I think she was able to hold it by 9 months but didn't have full control til about 11 months. I never used sippy cups.
Mum to V June 2011 & M Jan 2013
Twinkly

Postby Lily » 08 Jul 2013, 18:16

Yes, we've used a Doidy from the start, and still do at mealtimes. Just for water, though, as he's still bfing. It's slow and quite hit-and-miss to begin with, but they get the hang of drinking pretty quickly - but holding the cup, and especially putting it down, take much longer. Tbh I still hold the base a lot of the time, as I don't want the kitchen covered in water! He's fine with ordinary cups too, but the Doidy is our only plastic one so I still usually give him that.

We also use a Lansinoh Momma straw cup for the rest of the day, and when we're out. It's brilliant, I totally recommend it. Unspillable, and once they realise how to suck the straw they can drink pretty quickly. But it's only recommended from 1 year by the manufacturer, and Izbiz didn't work out how to get the water out until he was 1, although I'd offered it to him earlier.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby MollyMoppet » 09 Jul 2013, 12:09

Thanks for the replies. We're still BF too but I'm going back to work in October, so it's more from the point of view of sending her to a childminder.

Not sure I can expect them to sit holding a cup up to her mouth all day though :)
MollyMoppet

Postby Offpistemummy » 10 Jul 2013, 18:31

I have exactly the same question, my little ones just turned 6 months and has been exclusively breast fed. I want to totay avoid giving bottles this time and plan on expressing on occasions at some point and then giving the milk in a sippy cup. We're planning on using a nanny for a day a week come October so I need her to be able to take milk in some way other than breast feeding then, she'll be about 9 months. Really looking for advice on best cups for EBF babies. My first born used a tommee tippee but only really for water and I gave milk in a bottle, which she did take a very long time to accept any milk from.

There's so much on the market I suppose it's very much a game of trial and error, but any advice would be appreciated too.

Btw sorry to highjack post, am all very new to this and it struck a chord!
Offpistemummy

Postby MollyMoppet » 15 Jul 2013, 17:37

No worries :D

I've just ordered a doidy and a NUK learner cup (free flow) to try out. They were only a couple of quid each so no biggie if they don't work out :) I'll let you know how we get on if you like.

I think we're worrying a bit too much about it tbh. At the end of the day they'll learn no matter what you give them!
MollyMoppet

Return to Birth to BLW