Birth to BLW Status - April

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

Re: Birth to BLW Status - April

Postby VanillaPickle » 10 Apr 2012, 10:08

Downside to little one having morning nap in the carrier..... Hot cross bun crumbs in her hair and ear!!
♥ Handmade & crochet items & gifts - CraftsByFenella ♥
★ currently available via https://www.facebook.com/CraftsByFenella
VanillaPickle

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 10 Apr 2012, 12:08

Woo! TheBean slept from 12.00 until just before 5. Yay! I feel like a new woman. Unfortunately TheWriggler didn't sleep for this period, so DP is looking totally exhausted today. Apparently he was saying that TheBean sleeps in our bed and he wants to too, poor wee man. Any tips for helping a toddler feel more secure when a sibling arrives would be greatly appreciated. TheBean slept in until he had gone to nursery so I got TheWriggler changed, dressed and had a lovely time messing about with him on the sofa, with lots of kisses and raspberries, before DP took him to nursery. I guess more of the same as and when TheBean is sleeping will go a way towards helping him adjust.

The HV came around this morning. She seems nice and was very postive about BFing, less so about co-sleeping but apparently the "SIDS lady" had just given them a talk so she was keen to ensure I understood the risks and the current advice. TheBean now weighs in at 4.44kg which is 200g over his birth weight! Yay!
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby sparkling » 10 Apr 2012, 12:56

Yay for sleep and nice HVs :) I'm not sure I actually mentioned that we co-sleep, but the one I have this time is so much better than the one I saw early on with Jiglet.

As for sibling security... Does TheWriggler actually sleep when he's with you? Jiglet hasn't for ages, she settles far better on her own. In the first week she was a bit put out (and had a cold) and wanted to come in with us. We let her, and although I had an awkward hour or so with her on one side and baby on other, and me feeding Bell with Jiglet lying between my legs :o she pretty quickly realised it wasn't that comfy and piped up "I need to go back to my bed," and went back to bed herself :D I suppose this method might backfire if the older child does actually sleep well in your bed, certainly wouldn't have worked for us a year ago...

Otherwise just making sure we both do stuff with her, and lots of praise for any 'good big sister' moments. I think so much of it is down to their personalities. Jiglet is very proud of being a big sister and is affectionate towards her, but has definitely been more challenging lately!

Not a lot to report here, 10 weeks on and it's kind of like she's always been here :bsmile Definitely tough at times but mostly I'm enjoying it!
Jiglet, Mar'09 & Bell, Jan'12
sparkling

Postby AB&M » 10 Apr 2012, 13:15

Yay for good sleep!!

We let Bruno sleep with us when he wants. Originally we had separate kings but now in theory I'm in with DH. If Bruno joins us DH will usually hop out unless it's almost time to get up - Bruno joins us for a cuddle before breakfast.

If you can cope then I'd let thewriggler join you. The novelty soon wore off for Bruno but he knows if he needs a cuddle what to do.
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 10 Apr 2012, 14:12

Good point Sapling, TheWriggler is a rubbish co-sleeper and he will probably decide to go back to his bed of his own accord! I will have a word with DP and see if he wants to just let him get into our bed. It might back fire if he actually likes it, or decides he wants to be in with me after we move (I'm planning on having a single in the spare room for co-sleeping purposes!)
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby LucyL » 10 Apr 2012, 14:43

Yay, Julian has joined the ranks of the sitting! Just seems to have "clicked" today - suddenly more upright and sturdy. Still topples over backwards a bit though!

As for the toddler co-sleeping thing, Bookworm used to crawl in with us fairly regularly as soon as he was in a bed rather than a cot (which was pretty early for various reasons - not much more than 15 months I think), but fell out of the habit after a few months. He's tried a couple of times recently but always just wriggles around a bit and then said he wants to go back to his own bed. So I guess at some point they just prefer their own space.
Mum to two gorgeous boys, Bookworm (May 2009) and Little Tiger (November 2011)
Musings about our homeschooling journey at www.smallstepstoabiggod.org
LucyL

Postby LucyL » 10 Apr 2012, 14:53

Oops, on phone and can't see how to edit, so Julian = Tiger :)

I blame an approaching migraine... Must go and take something before it sticks! :(
Mum to two gorgeous boys, Bookworm (May 2009) and Little Tiger (November 2011)
Musings about our homeschooling journey at www.smallstepstoabiggod.org
LucyL

Postby sparkling » 10 Apr 2012, 15:42

I have finally given in to the temptation of beautiful woven wraps and my new toy arrived today - good timing as the moby was covered in sick and had to go in the wash! So now Bell is napping in one of these http://www.wovenwraps.net/en/1156-sling ... -wrap.html I think my technique needs a bit of work but it can't be too bad if she's asleep and I'm comfy :)
Jiglet, Mar'09 & Bell, Jan'12
sparkling

Postby catkin » 10 Apr 2012, 17:31

VanillaPickle wrote:Downside to little one having morning nap in the carrier..... Hot cross bun crumbs in her hair and ear!!

Oh yes, hamster always looks like she has dandruff too :D
Sapling, love the colours in that. We're also at the one woven wrap stage. Wonder how many we'll both have if we compare notes in a year's time :D You'll soon get the hang. In some ways i'm finding it easier, if you pull it tight it stays tight. I'm now trying to get up courage to attempt a back wrap...

Children 2: Meltdowns 0.5 : Cakes 1 : Hours baby awake maybe 1 total. Woohoo!
Mouse & Mr K currently destroying evidence of the world's most disastrous sponge sandwich. I swear we did put flour in, just not sure it was in any way proportional to the other ingredients.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby AB&M » 11 Apr 2012, 20:57

I so want to try a back carry in my woven but too scared! Just managing it in SSC which is my comfort zone :D
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby ToothFairy » 11 Apr 2012, 21:01

Bangers&Mash wrote:I so want to try a back carry in my woven but too scared! Just managing it in SSC which is my comfort zone :D

You can do it :D Why not put her on your back in the SSC and then wrap over the top of it to practice the wrapping? You will get the hang of it.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby DIMDongMerrily » 12 Apr 2012, 08:59

sapling wrote:I have finally given in to the temptation of beautiful woven wraps and my new toy arrived today - good timing as the moby was covered in sick and had to go in the wash! So now Bell is napping in one of these http://www.wovenwraps.net/en/1156-sling ... -wrap.html I think my technique needs a bit of work but it can't be too bad if she's asleep and I'm comfy :)

Ooh Sapling, that's so pretty. And would match my current hair colours.. Hmm.. :wink:
Mummy to the Ragamuffin since 01/07/09 and the Small Boy since 30/07/11 ♥ ♥

http://themess-canwait.blogspot.com/
DIMDongMerrily

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 12 Apr 2012, 09:18

DIM wrote:Ooh Sapling, that's so pretty. And would match my current hair colours.. Hmm.. :wink:

You are such an addict :wink:

All going well here. TheWriggler slept through last night so DP is feeling more human. TheBean went 4h from 11-3 and again from 5-9 so I'm not feeling bad either! (sorry B&M)
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby catkin » 12 Apr 2012, 10:12

The girl is human after all - 2hrs of screaming 5-7pm, and I still don't know what it was about :(

Really struggling to pick up her feed cues. Mouse was really obvious, manic head-banging and fist-eating. Hamster head-bangs any time i hold her on my chest, and eat fists quite a lot, but doesn't seem to want boob when i offer it. Usually i just assume hungry if she's not happy, she doesn't fall asleep the second she hits a sling, and her nappy's clean, but this wasn't working y'day as she was apparently unhappy about something else.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby TravellingMum » 12 Apr 2012, 11:09

Wee Monkey seems to constantly want food when he is awake as well! Head bobbing all the time etc... but have to say the past couple of days we have calmed a bit. And this morning he woke at 9am, fed for ages... maybe an hour then played a bit (you know as much as a 4 week old can!!) and then after about 45 minutes he wanted more milk. So I fed him, 10 minutes later he was fast asleep. And is still sleeping in the pram. Which has been lovely because Little Panda and I have managed to do some baking together.
Really enjoyed this morning. Parents are away on holiday, DH is busy at my bro's house, so just me and the kids and it has been nice to spend quality time with little panda - I was worried it would be a cbeebies day!! :)

Thought I would put a happy update... as soon wee monkey will wake and be desperate for more milk!!!! ;)
Mum to Little Panda and Wee Monkey
TravellingMum

PreviousNext

Return to Birth to BLW