Birth to BLW Status - April

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

Re: Birth to BLW Status - April

Postby TravellingMum » 07 Apr 2012, 06:13

rtr...I find he keeps rooting sometimes in the middle of the night, though the boob is actually in his mouth! Who knows...

We had a good visit with our HV. I was so pleased, I think she is a good one. I told her that Wee Monkey feeds all evening. She reckoned she would be worried if he wasn't eating so much and is happy with his growth and how he is doing. She was quite chilled and just so so supportive. The one I had with little Panda was pretty useless and whenever I had a question would tell me to make an appointment with the doctor 'if you are worried'.
Mum to Little Panda and Wee Monkey
TravellingMum

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 07 Apr 2012, 08:44

Travellingmum wrote:rtr...I find he keeps rooting sometimes in the middle of the night, though the boob is actually in his mouth! Who knows...

Yes! He does this too. But then his jaw goes like he is latched but he doesn't suck so the milk dribbles out of his mouth. Rinse and repeat. It's like he's getting the "easy" stuff so isn't bothering to make an effort. Maybe my letdown is too strong or something?

Hurrah for good HVs. Mine is coming on Tuesday so we'll see what she's like then. The MWs have all been fab and the woman who came for TheWriggler's 2+ check was good too, so fingers crossed.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby WishingBone » 07 Apr 2012, 16:27

Congrats on the new arrivals! Strange to think me and Smudge won't have much longer on this board - we've just been on holiday and she sat up in a trip trap they had there surprisingly well. Must order a second one...

Trying to drop daytime BFs in preparation for going back to work - Smudge is finally happy with formula in a bottle (hurrah!) but I dropped the late-morning feed for the first time today and even though I hand expressed a bit I'm feeling a bit engorged. Hoping she has a good feed in an hour or so.
Bemused parent to the Bear (2009) and Smudge (2011).
WishingBone

Postby TPM » 08 Apr 2012, 15:21

I would just quickly like to say OWWW MY BOOBS!

That is all.
DD1 05/08, DD2 01/10 & DD3 04/12
TPM

Postby WishingBone » 08 Apr 2012, 17:04

After all the months of expressing and then bottle refusal and then refusing to take the bottle from DP, I was finally able for the first time to take Bear to the park knowing that DP would give Smudge a bottle and I didn't need to be there or worry about it. Six months is a long time to wait but we're almost there!

On the downside poor Smudge has a horrible cold with conjunctivitis and Bear is up coughing half the night. Can't have it all, eh?
Bemused parent to the Bear (2009) and Smudge (2011).
WishingBone

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 08 Apr 2012, 17:23

Hurrah Wanted! And, erm, boo as well.
Boo TPM. I think mine have hardened up, doesn't take long.

We had a rubbish day today. No sleep for anyone really so the three non-babies in the house have been out of sorts all day. We watched Cars/Cars 2 four times today :o And the incredible vomiting baby is back so yet more laundry has been done. Yuck. Roll on tomorrow.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby skip » 08 Apr 2012, 17:29

Yay for nice HVs, TM. Mine was like that too - very relaxed and supportive. Actually we barely talked about the baby, we kept going off on tangents and she stayed for over an hour just chatting!

(((TPM and TPM's boobs))) Hope they stop hurting soon.

(((RtR))) Funny, we watched an incredible amount of Cars after R was born too... :mona Has your milk supply had a boost? Post-growth spurt/up all night tends to make R more pukey.

Yay for bottle acquiescence WTBAB! And get well soon all of you.

Coughs and colds and conjunctivitis here too - well, me and R. A lot of baby sleeping on my chest going on... But DH's genius solution to a sore throat and being stuck under a sleeping bubba is bringing me a thermos of decaf tea in bed! I've downloaded the new ANTM (guilty pleasure, don't judge me) in preparation for another long 'un... :)
Mama to the marvellous M (July '08) and R-bear (Oct '11)
skip

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 08 Apr 2012, 17:37

skip wrote:(((RtR))) Funny, we watched an incredible amount of Cars after R was born too... :mona Has your milk supply had a boost? Post-growth spurt/up all night tends to make R more pukey.

Yeah, milk all over the place! We're in uncharted territory for me and BF now so I'm just going with the flow. He slept from 12-4 last night but then couldn't/wouldn't feed from 4 to 6, fed until 6.30 then TheWriggler was up at 7 (after also being up at 4 with DP). I'm going to head to bed after TheWriggler's bedtime I think.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby AB&M » 08 Apr 2012, 18:12

Go to bed s soon as you can. I was in bed with kitten at 8pm some nights as evening was her best stretch.

After some falling off wagon & major screaming (I actually went out at 8 for a walk last night) I'm even more determined to avoid dairy as I get so worked up by her being worked up. So jelly sweets & risking feeding thrush but fingers crossed....

Kitten is almost sitting :D she's almost climbing out of her bouncy chair too S :D
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby LucyL » 08 Apr 2012, 19:17

Lol, B&M I could almost have written your whole post!

No dairy for me either... The paed said when I visited him about blood in Tiger's poo that I could just avoid rather than completely eliminate dairy, but looking at what happens now when I have even a small amount (major puking, grizzling, not sleeping, more blood yesterday...) I have decided to make a real clean sweep... So no Easter eggs here! Had to laugh at MIL though who very kindly bought me a packet of dark chocolate malt balls as a substitute. She clearly didn't read the packet though as it says in very large letters, "Allergen: Cows milk"! Ah well, more chocolate for DH...

Also coming on nicely with the sitting - still a bit topply, but at least a lot straighter and not so much toe-eating! :D
Mum to two gorgeous boys, Bookworm (May 2009) and Little Tiger (November 2011)
Musings about our homeschooling journey at www.smallstepstoabiggod.org
LucyL

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 08 Apr 2012, 22:51

Argh! We came to bed at 8 and he has constantly fed since then. I am knackered. Every time I think I've fed him into oblivion he wakes up 10 minutes later.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Nix » 08 Apr 2012, 22:55

(((((Rosie)))))

Sounds very much like a growth spurt/cluster feeding. Keep with it if you can as it will be doing wonders for the milk supply. If you need a break call on DH!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby TPM » 09 Apr 2012, 01:34

rosie_t_riveter wrote:Boo TPM. I think mine have hardened up, doesn't take long..

They ARE 'hard'! This is the problem. I get such rediculous over-supply and engorgement. They are HUGe and aching and just horrendous. I know I should be grateful
I have enough milk for my baby but this is insane. They were both engorged before we went to sleep. She's just woken and taken a massive feed off one but it's barely made a rent in what's there. I've been downstairs and tried to express a but off just to ease the pressure but I don't get on very well with the pump.

Oh Rosie boo! Hope he's fast asleep now and you are too. I remember the days youve just described with dd1 & 2. So depressing when you finally get one to sleep and the other trits in. And the the cluster feeds when all you eant to do is nod off. After all I've just written I still get the cluster feeding (well I did with the other two). I think even when there's enough milk there they do it out of instinct whenever they growth spurt.

B&M and Lucy - babies having intolerances is so pants. There's so little you can enjoy during pgcy and bf and not being allowed to even eat food you really love :0( Hope they grow out of it soon.
TPM

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 09 Apr 2012, 03:41

Thanks. He finally succumbed at midnight (ended up sleeping on me because I fell asleep before I could move him!) and woke at 3. Then an hour and a half crying/failing to latch and now he's feeding. I'm not sure what goes on with him in the middle of the night but if he could get over it I would be both delighted and less sleep deprived!
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby TPM » 09 Apr 2012, 03:50

The middle if the night is the pits. You feel so alone and so tired and everything so less manageable and logical. Maybe he has some wind from all that faffing on and off he did earlier? Trouble I have found is you feel like winding them wakes them up so much and after 3 hours of cluster feeding, when they finally give in to sleep you don't much want to sit them up and wind them. At least you're not completely alone - I'm here!! :0)
Urgh cakeys belly button/remaining piece of cord stinks. It's all I can smell whilst I'm holding and feeding her. She's lucky she's ridiculously gorgeous!!
TPM

PreviousNext

Return to Birth to BLW