A Breastfeeding support thread

Second babies? Forgotten everything about breast and formula, napping and wrapping and you are are going a bit MAD because you haven't slept in three days? Or it's your first baby and you are here researching the joys of weaning?

Re: A Breastfeeding support thread

Postby nearlymumtobabyfk » 26 Apr 2015, 14:49

Thanks ladies. Really hoping it helps. We've got poo issues today which I'm thinking are related...
Mum to A, 2010, and R, 2015
nearlymumtobabyfk

Postby nearlymumtobabyfk » 01 May 2015, 20:48

6.week.growth.spurt... That is all...
Mum to A, 2010, and R, 2015
nearlymumtobabyfk

Postby pirate_han » 02 May 2015, 17:35

(((nm))) Hang in there you're doing brilliantly! We are proof you can come out the other side! :D
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby mindy » 06 Jul 2015, 22:26

Cluster feeding started today - bang on 3 weeks. Oh my, I'd forgotten the joy of growth spurts - and the pain of the over-used nipple.....
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby Treeb » 06 Jul 2015, 23:55

I feel your pain mindy! I'd forgotten what hard (and constant!) work it is nursing a newborn!
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Kitcameron » 07 Jul 2015, 17:59

I feel the aim of sore nipples. CM has got her lateral incisors coming through and isn't latch get properly on my right side so nipple is all chewed up and it's very painful feeding that side. If I can get her to latch properly it's fine but she usually then slips. I'm sure it's teeth relate as she used to latch fine. Luckily left side is pain free atm
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby yorkshirepudding » 07 Jul 2015, 19:29

I await the growth spurt now then! Anyone got experience of reflux symptoms? Moo supposedly had it, lots of screaming most of the day for several weeks, refusing to feed,nit was awful. But now I'm wondering how much of it was caused by him taking in too much air and burping back milk and air. Baby E is not coping well with a forceful letdown, although I think she's doing better than her brother did.

She comes off the boob when it starts spurting too much, but also gulps and splutters through it sometimes, and then is full of air that is really hard to get out, or comes out as very sicky/ wet burps that sometimes seem to hurt her as she grimaces or cries. Will be spItting up and not comfortable laid down for aaaages after a feed. And when you finally get a burp out,she wants more food as she hadn't finished, and it all starts again! Also has done about 6 massive pukes in her 3 weeks, I think triggered by burps.

Hv didn't seem bothered or that knowledgable so I didn't push it, planning on going to a bf support group whenever I am organised enough,but previous experience there wasn't great. So any advice/ experience/ tips? I try and feed her with her head up but as she has little head control it's not easy.at night I can't stay wake long enough to burp her properly fir her to be comfy lying down in her Moses basket so's he's been in with us on my pillow most nights, not ideal :/
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Treeb » 07 Jul 2015, 19:44

No advice yp, but we are in a very similar place with baby A! L never seemed particularly bothered by my strong letdown, but A coughs and splutters and gulps air and sometimes pops off the boob. I did think at first that she had reflux but I'm pretty sure now that it's all due to my forceful letdown. (But does it really matter if it's reflux or letdown if it is the same symptoms?) She always has to burp, sometimes several times per feed, but they are often very hard to get out of her even though she is clearly unomfortable and I can sometimes hear the air rumbling around in her tummy. We haven't had any huge spit-ups, but do get very frequent small bits sometimes a long time after she's eaten and she does sometimes seem to be very uncomfortable/in pain from them or if she is lying down she gurgles and gasps like she can't breath because of the spit-up.

The only advice I've gotten is to try to keep her upright as long as possible after nursing, which helps to some degree but isn't always practicle and doesn't always help if I can't get all the burps out of her even with half an hour of holding her upright and rubbing/patting her back!

I'm hoping as she gets bigger she will be able to manage things a bit better and eventually grow out of this....
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby yorkshirepudding » 07 Jul 2015, 19:48

Yep, exactly this treeb! Moo was on medication for reflux, wonder if it actually did anything good for him... Baby E makes very odd lamb-dolphin noises when she needs to burp too! We have raised the head of her Moses basket, haven't done anything with the changing table yet.
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby emilychal » 07 Jul 2015, 20:38

Hi yp, congratuts on your new baby!
Not sure whether this'll help, but I had a really strong letdown and none of the feed while leaning back or hold E more upright helped. In the end we got through it by letting the worst of the letdown go into a muslin. When E pulled off because it was too strong I put it to my breast and then put her back on. It meant I fed with 3 muslins for months (1 tucked in my top to avoid a soaked tummy, one to cope with letdown, one for dribbly baby!)
She grew into coping fine and loving the copious feeds =)

Good luck, I hope you find what works for you!
Xxx
------------------------------------------
First time mum to a beautiful little girl, born August 2013, who is loving her food!
So glad I decided to do BLW =)
emilychal

Postby yorkshirepudding » 07 Jul 2015, 21:15

Thanks emily, will try it. Already been doing it a bit when she comes off by herself. Think I scared the registrar today trying to feed her whilst we registered the birth! Had to take my top layer of clothing off as it was soaked!
yorkshirepudding

Postby yorkshirepudding » 22 Aug 2015, 02:16

Blocked duct (or whole boob!), expressing at 3am when my babies are fast asleep, grrr!

Hopefully this will fix it, wedding to attend tomorrow. Now need to clean milk off the iPad ☺️
yorkshirepudding

Postby Ali70 » 22 Aug 2015, 09:12

Oh no. I hope its cleared. If not hot showers and a warm hot water bottle on my boob helped clear mine.
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

Postby yorkshirepudding » 22 Aug 2015, 09:46

Thanks, think it's ok, both boobs are still quite tender. Shouldn't complain though, E slept from 10pm-5.50am last night!
yorkshirepudding

Postby Ali70 » 22 Aug 2015, 10:44

Wow, that's brilliant, long may it continue!
Sproglet born April 2013
Ali70

PreviousNext

Return to Birth to BLW