Getting Healthy 2016

For all ye runners, shredders, dieters and sneaky custard creamers...

Getting Healthy 2016

Postby LucyLastic » 01 Jan 2016, 03:50

Too soon...? :wink:

In all seriousness, I posted on p1 of last year's thread and then did nothing, zero, zilch, nada, sweet FA about it. So, here we are again and, boosted by tales of success from Marron, Cofa's Tree, emzit and EnigmaFish, I plan on doing *something* about it this year, instead of just whining.

I knocked wine on the head a couple of months ago and other than wayyyy too many mojitos on Boxing Day and a couple of glasses of fizz this evening, I've stuck to it.

I went to see the GP a couple of days before Christmas and have a referral to the gym. This means a one-to-one training session every week and a training plan for a few months. Today (well, yesterday now), I bought some gym gear (half price in Sainsbury's, result!).

I plan on getting back into the habit of planning our meals for the week so that we all benefit from a more balanced, healthy diet. We meaning me, OH & C, much as I'd love to cook for you all :) ... My sister bought me a little diary for my handbag (with my name in gold on the front, oooh, posh) for Christmas so I'll use that to write it down.

I have downloaded MFP and plan on entering my food on that as from tomorrow, even if I don't get my a*se into gear for a few days.

If anyone knows of any workout DVDs which are gentle on the knees (no lunges, squats, etc. yet), I'd be grateful for the info.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2016. Go team! High-five! (Too much...? :wink: )
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Re: Getting Healthy 2016

Postby Nix » 01 Jan 2016, 13:23

I'm in (from Monday). I did really well last year but I've been eating like a pig this Christmas and haven't been to the gym since November so I need to get back to healthy!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby junglewonderland » 01 Jan 2016, 13:28

LL, does the gp refer you to the gym? Do you get free stuff? Wow. Well done cutting out the wine.any tips?

I'm in from Tuesday (we get back from holiday). Sugar and caffeine really mess with my mood so I need to stop getting sucked back to them. And I need to exercise for the same reason, also to stop my back going cactus.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby LucyLastic » 01 Jan 2016, 15:14

The GP did refer me to the gym, yes, jw. It's not free, but it is subsidised. It's more about the one-to-one training plan and sessions for me. Not entirely sure how it works yet or how often I'll be able to go, but I guess I'll find out.

As for wine, I found that a nice glass after C's bedtime easily became a bottle a night and that's just not viable in the long-term. Expensive, calorific, unhealthy, there just aren't any positives - I wasn't getting anything out of it, it had just become an expensive amd fattening (900 cals in a bottle of cava) and I felt rubbish in the morning, so was loaded with guilt at being a crappy parent. So I just decided not to have any one night and once I'd had one night without any, it was easy to carry on not having any until not having any is the norm. My OH has a few beers every night, so it's part of our make-up really, but I didn't drink alcohol from even before I found out I was pregnant with C (which was a huge clue in itself!) and then didn't drink any again until after I'd stopped BFing her at 20 months, so I knew I could easily do without it. I just made a choice, I guess. Not sure that's helpful, really. I figure making changes to become healthier is about making choices and sticking to them. How hard can it be?!!
I think one of my stumbling blocks is comparisons. I need to remember that I can't compare how I'm doing to how someone else is doing as our starting points are all different so our progress along the way will vary. And I need to remember to congratulate myself for making *any* positive choices. Yay me.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday, jw, and see you on the other side of the weekend!
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Marrow » 01 Jan 2016, 16:23

I'm in (again!).

Last year saw me lose 20kg, and start running (amongst other things). I did 10k in a bit over an hour the week before Christmas.

December has involved gaining 4kg and not running much - no work = no commute = less opportunity.

2016 is going to involve losing some weight, sticking at a lower weight (that's been my downfall before), and keeping up with the running.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby mamapup » 01 Jan 2016, 19:58

I might try and get in to park run. I'm pretty fit and don't need to lose weight but could do with toning up a bit. It is a quick process for me generally.

Um, just realised I sound like an arse, sorry. If you'd rather I disappeared off this thread I will, promise.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby LucyLastic » 01 Jan 2016, 22:05

This is as much your thread as it is anyone else's, mp. As with anywhere on this forum, I hope this will be a source of mutual encouragement and support, rather than envy. Definitely not envious that you don't need to lose weight. Not at all. No envy. Here, have some Matchmakers :wink:

I apologise if the chocolate bark was in any way contributory to your 4kg over Christmas, Marron :D And 10k in just over an hour. Wow.
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby mamapup » 01 Jan 2016, 23:03

Thanks LL. I signed up to park run and hope that next Saturday (not tomorrow as we already have plans) I will make it down.

Gym referall is a great idea. Personal trainer sounds fab.
And M, I'm impressed, do you enjoy Park run?

December is stupid. All that chocolate foisted upon us for no reason.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby qbm » 02 Jan 2016, 06:45

I'm in again though like LL I posted on last year's (or was it the year before?) and then buggered off.

I also don't need to lose weight but I am very unfit. I took up running last year and did really well with it but I got out of the habit of it a couple of months ago. I went for a run a few weeks back and I feel like I'm back to the start again.

I'm also eating way too much crap.

I said just last night to OH that as of today I'm going to stop eating crap, drink plenty of water and only have a glass of wine at the weekend. I plan to run tomorrow.

Good luck everyone!
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Cofa's Tree » 02 Jan 2016, 09:31

I'm definitely back in and raring to go. My weight has been up and since Lottie and I seem to have settled at a stone heavier from pre-birth, so coupled with the two stone I have to lose to get to my ideal weight, I now have a total of three stone to lose, with a target of June to give myself some pressure. I'm a bit annoyed at the extra stone as it's all piled on in December, but hey-ho.

I can't easily get to a gym or go out running with Lottie being so little (plus can't really afford it on mat leave), and I have a dodgy knee so I've invested in a rebounder and a couple of DVDs with the aim of exercising in the mornings when Daniel's back at pre-school. And it's healthy eating (Hairy Dieters recipes type of food) from Monday onwards. No alcohol now for the rest of Jan at least, might do a month on/month off, not that I drink tons anyway but it's all empty calories.

Another focus is that my husband has booked a family photo session for beginning of Feb, so the aim is that extra stone off this month.

Come on 2016...let's get healthy!!!
Cofa's Tree

Postby nearlymumtobabyfk » 02 Jan 2016, 11:17

Can I join? I'm 2 stone heavier than I was pre babies, and even then I was hardly svelt. I need to do something - my eating is out of control. I'm planning on going back to Slimming World next week. I would love to be able to lose weight under my own steam, but I just can't. And SW helped me lose weight before I conceived R. Need to do some exercise too. Hoping for a little yoga every day and build in some cardio. As LL asked, anyone know any workout DVD's that are easy on the joints? I love to zumba but I fear it'll bugger up my joints as they're still soft with feeding...
Mum to A, 2010, and R, 2015
nearlymumtobabyfk

Postby Cofa's Tree » 02 Jan 2016, 13:35

One of the reasons I went for a rebounder is that they are one of the most supportive pieces of equipment you can have at home for reducing impact and strain on joints. It does mean buying the rebounder and I have bought two DVDs but there seem many videos on You Tube to follow (I haven't investigated how good they are), or at the very least, you could just put your favourite music on and bounce around a bit!
Cofa's Tree

Postby LucyLastic » 02 Jan 2016, 18:29

The more the merrier, nmtbfk! And hurrah CT, you are a force for good on here. Although, I hope you've got yourself a decent bra! MJ - we can only do better than we did last time, so if we make one positive change, that's one more than last year!
I've been having a look at the various 'cook healthily' books on the market at the moment, as I am still sans cooking mojo. It is really annoying, as it leads to me eating any old rubbish because I can't be bothered, so I need some inspiration and funnily enough, I ended up looking at the Hairy Dieters book that I have and ended up downloading the other two on Kindle last night. I like the fact that their emphasis is still on flavour. I'm waiting for Hugh FW's book to be delivered and Lorraine Pascale's latest offering seems quite good too. Last night, I also found a load of twee vids on YouTube which I might start as of tomorrow (OH is playing Little Big Planet atm) - they are 'walk at home' by Leslie someone or other and the principle is walking on the spot (apparently about a mile) in about fifteen minutes, so C can join in if she likes (which she usually does if I ever try to use the Wii, making it impossible). I plan on eating chocolate, Turkish Delight and sausage rolls this evening, making a healthy meal plan for the week tomorrow and shopping accordingly (Aldi are doing fitness gear and DVDs as of tomorrow) and calling the gym on Monday to make an appointment for my induction. Baby steps. I have complete faith in my ability to fulfil tonight's objectives!
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby Marrow » 02 Jan 2016, 19:29

LL, your chocolate bark wasn't really the problem... though the fact that I ate it in three days was partly testament to it being yummy, and partly evidence of a wider problem with December :D

The first one of these threads that I joined (several times) was at the end 2013, when I handed in my thesis. Then I got bogged down for a year before 2015!
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby bigcatmaniac » 02 Jan 2016, 20:29

I'm in too. Signed up today for 4 weeks of slim chicks - which is s clean eating regime and heading back to buggy fit on Monday for the first time in months. I've done no exercise of not since September and been stuffing my face - have just over a stone to lose. Have done it before but just wish I could maintain it without slipping back into bad habits. Also need to cut down on caffeine as my insomnia is ridiculous right now - the exercise will help here too. Lastly I've had colds and viruses on and off for months and I need to eat better to get rid of them now. Looking forward to your support girls!
bigcatmaniac

Next

Return to The Activity Centre