Activity tracker

For all ye runners, shredders, dieters and sneaky custard creamers...

Activity tracker

Postby Nix » 10 Jan 2015, 14:15

I want a Fitbit/jawbone type thing that will help me monitor my activity. Is there any special forum recommendations? Even within the brands there are so many different products!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Re: Activity tracker

Postby emzit » 10 Jan 2015, 20:04

I think I'm a Lone Ranger but I love my Garmin Vivofit. It's pretty accurate with steps (won't do teethbrushing but will do pushing a pram if you get it started), and I like that it has a display and I can see exactly how many steps I've done and have left without needing to look at the app. I also like that the auto goal - if you want it to, it changed the goal daily based on shaft you did the previous day. So if you are constantly making the goal it will increase it make you work harder, and if you aren't it reduces so you aren't getting demotivated by never making it. Battery lasts for about a year which was another big plus for me. And it can link in with a Garmin heart rate monitor if you want more detail on activity. I just need to find DH's chest strap, it's around here somewhere...
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Marrow » 10 Jan 2015, 21:09

What are you after? There's a big difference between a basic pedometer and one that's going to track everything including your heart rate.

I've got a Fitbit Charge that I got given for Christmas (from DH). So I don't really know the market - I've no idea why DH thought Fitbit was better than the rest.

I couldn't use one that went in my pocket - I don't wear clothes with pockets all the time. So a wristband works really well for me (and means I can tell the time without digging around in my bag!). It syncs well with MFP, and I like the website with the friendly graphics and targets to meet. So far, so good!

Just on quality of manufacture - DH's Fitbit has survived being put through the washing machine. Not that I would recommend it, but thought it would be useful to know!
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Nix » 10 Jan 2015, 21:23

Does it register steps taken when pushing the pram Marron? That's my main concern. Most of my walking is with Pippa in the buggy!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 10 Jan 2015, 21:45

Mine registered the school run yesterday. Dd was in the trailer. Two hands pushing at all times because it's a bugger to steer.
And a run the day before with her in the jogging stroller. But I only hold on with my right hand when I'm running.
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Postby Marrow » 11 Jan 2015, 08:11

Nix wrote:Does it register steps taken when pushing the pram Marron? That's my main concern. Most of my walking is with Pippa in the buggy!

Sorry, I don't know. I've never used it with the buggy. It registers something while I'm cycling, though.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Return to The Activity Centre