Getting Healthy 2015

For all ye runners, shredders, dieters and sneaky custard creamers...

Re: Getting Healthy 2015

Postby Kanga » 06 Jan 2015, 17:05

Thanks for that tm, I will try & get some time to shred then! Must do pelvic floors as well though!! :s
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Kitcameron » 06 Jan 2015, 18:18

So far this week I've walked to and from nursery three times (picked her up in the car on the way back from boob club yesterday). It's not very far though, a ten mi ute brisk walk or half an hour going at SMs speed this morning lol. Should have been a brisk walk with SM in the buggy and CM in the sling but I forgot the sling was in the car and didn't ask DH to get it out before going to the drs so ended up being a very slow walk with CM in the buggy. Have also done a baby sensory work out lol, gonna have biceps of steel if we have to bounce them up and down for the whole five little speckled frogs song every week lol.

Also, my 12 changes in 12 months target for this month is one meat free day a week which I did today and topped up with red pepper instead (and garlic bread doh!!!) but did manage to avoid eating up kids leftovers.

What's Fitbit? Think my mother in law might have just got one for Chrismas, is it the band round your wrist thingy that connects to ipad/iPhone etc. hoping to borrow a pedometer from MIL so I can at least check how many steps Im taking.

Had to go to drs this afternoon though about pain in joints from hypermobility so don't want to take on too much extra exercise. Might try walking to TinyTalk tomorrow, half an hour with SM in buggy and CM in sling. (And then I'll curl up in a ball and sleep when we get there, and phone DH to come pick us up lol)
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Marrow » 06 Jan 2015, 19:48

Kc: yes, Fitbit is a step tracker thing. I got mine for Christmas and it's a watch/wristband. DH's is a little thing that he keeps in his pocket (and which has ky been through the washing machine once...). It tracks steps, flights of stairs, active minutes.

And it usually syncs beautifully with MFP, except today it hasn't. So I've had to guesstimate how many calories my steps are going to earn me today. Waaaaa <stamps feet> at my [free - the problem is with MFP not Fitbit] app not working properly for a short period of time.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Kitcameron » 07 Jan 2015, 14:17

Sounds exciting, but having looked at the price I think I'll have to wait and see if I'm still motivated by my birthday.

Didn't walk to TinyTalk today, joints all too sore when I got up so didn't want to be dashing around getting us ready to leave in time or put myself through a highly likely painful walk. Would like to start running, never have really other than santa runs and race for life, but never consistently in a keep fit kinda way, would have to take it very slowly though and speak to physio about it. Think I'll start by just working out how far it is to nursery and back and speed walking with the buggy lol. Wonder how CM would like racing home after nursery run lol.
Kitcameron

Postby Nix » 07 Jan 2015, 14:21

I want a Fitbit or a jawbone! I estimated my weight at 100kg and its only 94 which makes me feel better. I'd love to get to 80-85 before my holiday to Ibiza!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Marrow » 07 Jan 2015, 15:09

When do you go, Nix?
Marrow

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 07 Jan 2015, 15:23

Looking at fitbits with interest. Poss ebay purchase later!

Feeling effing awful and only got out of bed at 12.00 so not in any place to start. Hoping to be better by next Wednesday so I can start the detox and kick my wobbly butt into action!

Kanga - thanks for the pelvic floor reminder! I'm far too hit and miss with them!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Nix » 07 Jan 2015, 16:03

Marron wrote:When do you go, Nix?

Middle of July!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Marrow » 07 Jan 2015, 16:18

Nix wrote:
Marron wrote:When do you go, Nix?

Middle of July!

I reckon I can lose 1kg/week in the short term (like, for a month or two if I need to fit in an item of clothing), or 0.5kg/week for the longer term.

Now to mid July is six months = 26 weeks. 0.5kg per week = 13 kg. So 81kg totally doable.

Pom poms waving! :D
Marrow

Postby Kitcameron » 07 Jan 2015, 19:37

So, to those of you who have Fitbits, would you recommend one? I'm wondering about getting the zip one as I have a bit of Christmas money but don't know if I'd use it for a month or so and then forget all about it. I do like graphs and charts though so maybe that would keep me motivated to use it and keep going with the exercise.
Kitcameron

Postby Treeb » 07 Jan 2015, 19:55

I have the zip kc. I chose it both because it is cheaper and I didn't like the idea of wearing a wrist band all the time. I like it and do find it helps keep me on track and motivates me to get walking a little more (although this time of year the weather is very strongly motivating me to stay indoors huddled under blankets!) I very rarely forget to pop it in my pocket in the morning, and I find that the days where I do forget it for a few hours I am very annoyed with myself! It doesn't have the sleep tracking feature of the other models if that is something that interests you though.

The one big problem I have with it is that the battery seems to drain much more quickly than it is supposed to, and looking on the fitbit forums this is apparently a fairly common problem. It hasn't stopped me from using it though and the batteries aren't super expensive, but it is a nuisance.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby emzit » 07 Jan 2015, 20:55

I need to get some better scales. Mine vary wildly between readings - apparently I've put on 1.5kg after two days of meeting calorie goals on MFP! I don't believe it. I frequently get vastly different readings if I step off and straight back on. Bit annoyed.

I have my trial pass for the gym now but didn't manage to make it yesterday as the kids weren't asleep in time. I would have done a Shred or something but it was way too hot yesterday, 35 and humid still.

KC, have you considered a Garmin Vivofit? I've got one and it's great - I like it because it has a display so you see exactly how many steps you've done and left to do without checking on your phone. Batteries last for about a year too which was a selling point for me.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 07 Jan 2015, 21:03

KC - have a look at a few review sites. I'm now not getting the Fitbit Flex but considering the Charge. DH is interested in the samsungs (same as our phones) but I think it's a bit pricey given that he doesn't need to keep track of twitter as he doesn't use it!!!

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/ ... s-2015-uk/
http://www.wareable.com/fitness-tracker ... ss-tracker

They are like anything though - not everyone is going to love them so you'll always find those who don't like/have issues with a particular one.

Emzit - have you tried Salter as a brand?? I find them v good.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby emzit » 07 Jan 2015, 21:11

I think the one I have is a salter. A cheapy though I think, and definitely old. I need to take it to the downstairs bathroom, it's in our ensuite at the moment which has slate tiles so not totally even, downstairs is. That will hopefully help but I haven't moved it since I last got on so it shouldn't shouldn't be out that much anyway...
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby babydsmummy » 07 Jan 2015, 21:29

The floor definitely makes a difference - I've just moved ours to our new bathroom with a neater tiled floor and it now gives me identical readings when I get off and back on. 1 lb lost so far a few days in - not a lot but a start! Went for a run tonight and been doing well resisting the tempting treats at work.
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

PreviousNext

Return to The Activity Centre