Getting Healthy 2015

For all ye runners, shredders, dieters and sneaky custard creamers...

Re: Getting Healthy 2015

Postby Marrow » 18 Jan 2015, 15:56

Yeah, I'm not sure I would have spent my own money on a Fitbit. But DH loves his, and was happy to spend his money, and I said "oh, go on then" when he suggested it as a Christmas present (you have to have a good relationship for that one - "honey, I think you could do with a little more motivation to lose weight..." :D). As it turns out I love it and definitely think it was worth the money, but I didn't know that before it was bought.

In other news, I have lost 3.3kg aka just over half a stone. Woohoo!
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby RedRum » 18 Jan 2015, 16:40

Emzit I'm feeling really motivated too, I've just not eaten any crap, and I've tried to exercise at least every other day. It's been ok, and it sounds like a stupid thing to say but I'm kind of amazed by how much actual food I get to eat when I don't eat cakes and biscuits and other crap :oops: I've made a carrot cake today with biddy's recipe, although I halved the sugar, and that will work out over 500 cals a slice :scream but it's ok as I had yoghurt, muesli and banana for breakfast, and we're about to have roast beef and roast veggies and I've logged the whole lot, including the cake and all the little extras like horseradish and gravy, and I'll still be under :) not drinking does help too! I haven't felt hungry at all, but I have much more energy. I feel a bit preachy, which I hope doesn't come across, but hallelujah, cutting right back on sugary snacks and processed food has made a world of difference.
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby Kitcameron » 18 Jan 2015, 21:38

How many calories do you think sex burns? MFP doesn't seem to have it as an option.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Kitcameron » 18 Jan 2015, 22:05

Also, I think im going to die. I am so unfit.

Just downloaded the Sworkit app with the aim of doing 5 minutes core strengthening exercises daily to try and tone up a bit. Just did my five minutes and had to keep pausing to wait for the pain to subside, maybe I should have warmed up first lol. Still, no pain no gain right. And CF, I have just seen what burpees are, I think it'll be a while before I manage to do more than 2 of those in my 30 seconds lol.

And for all that, I burnt an amazing 32 calories, Rargh.
Kitcameron

Postby EnigmaFish » 18 Jan 2015, 23:45

Congratulations to everyone for the great big steps towards our goals - and to KC (wink, wink, nudge), too!

There's nothing like the beginning of a diet, is there? I've lost 1.8 kg this week!!
Hooray, although I know there's no way that's going to continue.
The great thing is that I've been under my calorie limit most days and only occasionally feel hungry.

Two burpees is better than no burpees, KC. :D They are brilliantly easy, torturous little things.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby Cofa's Tree » 19 Jan 2015, 07:06

Slow and steady as always...only (don't let know mindy I said that or she'll tell me off again!) 1lb off this week. It's all good and it's all in the right direction...but...I'm exercising more than I ever have in my entire life and it would be more rewarding to see a 2lb loss a week for example! According to MFP, I'm almost bang on the ideal carbs, protein and fat ratios, and I usually eat all my calorie allowance - the only thing is that sometimes I don't eat all of the calories I earn from exercise, but I'm almost never under the 12000 calories on exercise days. We scratch cook nearly all our food, so I don't think there's any hidden calories I'm not picking up and I'm not drinking alcohol at the moment. My exercise is a mix of weights and high impact cardio, both of which I researched to get the best balance between the two, and I just feel a bit cheated for all that good work to only result in 1lb a week lost!

Any ideas how to lose that extra lb a week, or is just the way I am and I should celebrate the healthy, steady loss of 1lb a week for the positive action it is?! I'm 40 in December, so am wondering if age is playing a part...
Cofa's Tree

Postby RedRum » 19 Jan 2015, 09:07

CT have you been taking any measurements? When I increase my fitness (ie when I exercise regularly as well as watching calorie intake) I rarely see much impact on my weight be I change shape dramatically. Muscle weighs more than fat and all that.
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby emzit » 19 Jan 2015, 10:41

Have you been doing the same routine for a while CT? Bodies tend to get used to exercise when you do the same thing a lot and that's when you plateau. Can you go see a trainer at your gym and get them to make you a new hard core program?

I was reading an article online about the pros and cons of using the scale as a weight loss measure and someone in the comments talked about muscle weighing more than fat, and some other guy jumped on it and was all 'I hate it when people say that, no it doesn't, it just takes up less space. 1kg of muscle and 1kg of fat still weigh the same'. And it made me mad because he totally misses the point - of course 1kg of fat and muscle weigh the same, but you're not measuring them by weight, you're measuring volume and the equivalent weight. It's like saying that 1kg of bricks and 1kg of feathers are the same weight, therefore bricks don't weigh more than feathers. Grr! And rant over.

RR, it is crazy isn't it? I could tighten up my eating a lot, I'm still having treats most days but between exercise and sorting out breakfast and dinner calories I can get by under my limit. I'm not much of a drinker so I don't any boozing calories to deal with either.

KC, baby steps. You can do it.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Marrow » 19 Jan 2015, 10:53

weight != mass != density != weight. Though I'll settle for weight and mass being pretty much equivalent for most of us! <misses the point>
Marrow

Postby emzit » 19 Jan 2015, 11:03

Yep, I know I'm not using proper scientific terms... but my point being that muscle is leaner therefore takes up less space therefore you look thinner even though the scales aren't saying that.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Marrow » 19 Jan 2015, 11:33

Yeah, I know. I guess the point is that most of us are using the phrase "weight loss" to mean a lot more than just reducing our mass. And we use whatever metric is useful to track / motivate us to do that.
Marrow

Postby emzit » 20 Jan 2015, 20:00

I had an accidental rest day yesterday - was till busy in the evening - but I think I needed it. Mum and baby gym with squish this morning and hoping he's going to be happy enough to play while I work hard. Usually he's getting sleepy and wants to be held so I pop him I'm the ergo. I've got book club tonight so I need extra calories for a wine!

How's everyone else going?
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Kitcameron » 20 Jan 2015, 20:17

DH is laughing at me whilst I try to do enough sworkit sessions to earn me a chocolate sponge pudding. Luckily I didnt have raise 450 calories worth (which is what I needed) I had a few spare but not enough. Will have to drink water for the rest of the night I think, or do a bit more exercise to earn myself a cup of tea. I'm not sure this is quite how it's supposed to work lol.

I'm counting sex as aerobic activity lol.

Felt like bad mummy tonight as DH was adamant he wanted to go get CM a new car seat after nap time, 4.30, so we went out and agreed to have fish and chips so if we got stuck in traffic the girls weren't starving. Fish and chip shop didn't have a restaurant so we went to Maccy D's. That's what made me feel like a bad mummy, having Maccy D's. CM looked so grown up sitting in her high chair shovelling in chips like at any moment I might take them away, and so I should the amount of salt on them. I felt so guilty. However, when I added up all the calories the curry had in that we w're going to have it came to just under 1000 :scream However, too much salt from MD is probably worse than too many calories for them isn't it. Le sigh. Oh well, it's a rarity that it happens.
Kitcameron

Postby Treeb » 20 Jan 2015, 22:21

I always feel vaguely dirty and bad when we get fast food like that, KC. But I'm sure it really is fine because it is so rare that we do.

Walked to the library with L in the stroller, which added about 2,000 extra steps to my count for the morning. Probably cancelled out by the Starbucks we went and got afterwards!
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Kitcameron » 20 Jan 2015, 22:25

My Fitbit still hasn't arrived, getting very impatient now.
Kitcameron

PreviousNext

Return to The Activity Centre