Getting Healthy 2015

For all ye runners, shredders, dieters and sneaky custard creamers...

Re: Getting Healthy 2015

Postby Cofa's Tree » 18 Sep 2015, 10:34

Well done Marron, that's great news! Hope you have celebrated in a suitably healthy fashion :D .

If you're hitting your step count Kc, then that's a great starting point and you can work on the rest of your targets around the needs of real life. Keep it up :D

I can feel the benefit of being fitter this pregnancy, and have now put on about a stone at nearly 8 months which I'm happy about - I haven't consciously deprived myself in the slightest but am just less inclined to overeat or make repeated unhealthy food choices which has helped on top of being fitter in the first place (and that's absolutely no comment or judgement on anyone else who gained more in their pregnancies). Roll on the Spring for Get Fit Part II though!
Cofa's Tree

Postby emzit » 18 Sep 2015, 11:47

Glad to hear everyone is doing well!

I can't believe its been so long since we've updated! I finished up my twelve week challenge in July, at that point I'd lost just over 20kg. Came second in the overall club comp and won the 'lean machine' title which I was pretty excited about! After that I fell off the wagon a little and have had trouble getting back into the weight loss mode. I put on a couple of kilos so nothing crazy bad but still wanting to lose a bit more. Fitness still going well and I'm currently leading my gym's 1km rowing challenge - I'm the only person who's done it in under 4 minutes and planning to keep my crown!

Last week I was pretty sick and lost 2.5kg in 6 days so seeing all that weight drop has been a good incentive to keep going and really go for it again. I'm now 22kg down from the start of the year and am the lowest weight I really remember being - I was this weight when at my fittest in the UK but I think my measurements are actually less. So feeling really good and confident. I remember someone (marron?) saying they hit the lighter than DH milestone and I said I could never achieve that - well I'm almost there! Still a work in progress but happy.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby EnigmaFish » 23 Sep 2015, 19:44

Well, when I weighed myself right before the wedding, I had lost 12kg since the start of the year. If I want to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight, I've still another kilo to go. It's not too much, and if I don't lose it it won't kill me. My goal going forward is to gain muscle and fitness. I'm doing a Pilates classist weeks now. I would love to get another class, maybe with some kind of circuits, in as well.
I think over the next month or two I'll put away my "big" clothes and get out my "small" ones.
CT, I was far more fit during my pregnancy with Newt and I really felt it all the way through. I wasn't as tired, I didn't suffer with as many pains, and I bounced back much quicker after.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby Cofa's Tree » 09 Nov 2015, 10:44

So, three weeks post-birth and I'm feeling ready to just keep an eye on myself (but nothing serious until after Christmas). I've dropped straight back down to pre-Lottie weight, which is fab but I did the same with Daniel then proceeded to put a stone and a half back on. I want to avoid doing that this time, but have already started creeping back up the scales in the last week so am just being careful. Nothing drastic, just getting out for a walk each day and logging what I eat to make me more aware of what I'm putting in my mouth (such as the custard cream and brioche I've already mindlessly eaten this morning whilst waiting for the kettle to boil - I didn't take the time to savour them and can't really remember the joy of eating them now...what a waste, I might as well enjoy them at least!). If I can maintain pre-Lottie weight to Christmas, then start working on the remaining 2 stone next year, then I'll be happy.

How's everyone's year gone, compared to this time last year?
Cofa's Tree

Postby emzit » 09 Nov 2015, 11:45

Make sure you're looking after yourself and not going too crazy!

I'm doing really well. My BMI and body fat % are now in the healthy range, muscle mass is much better, and I've lost 2 dress sizes and 22kg. I'm 700g off my long term goal although I'm doing a 6 week program at the moment and aiming to lose another 5kg, to see how that feels and if it's feasible to maintain it. My fitness is back to where it was when I was at my healthiest, possibly even past that. I've signed up to do a 10k run in 4 weeks with minimal time to train but confident I can do it and do it well. I wore a short boardies and a bikini top to the pool with the kids the other week!

I have to say a huge thank you to all you lovely forumites for the support because there is no way i could have done it without you lot being here providing support and holding me accountable. Much love! :)
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Marrow » 09 Nov 2015, 12:00

This time last year, I was commuting a long way to a job I didn't really love, where the work was never done, with a contract end date of end March, where my office was next to the canteen (too many bacon sandwiches!), and my step count was often below 5k. I'm now regularly running home from a permanent job which suits me much better, which I can to some extent leave at the office, and which is slightly better paid, and I rarely go below 12k steps. All good for stress levels and work/life balance.

In early 2015, DH came to realise that his work was not going to continue in its current form, so we had some serious decisions to make. I'm now working full time and DH is getting loads of stuff done at home - all the stuff that neither of us ever had time to do before. Monthly cash flow is tight, but that's OK - we have savings, equity and credit available, so we will never be in the stressful situation of not being able to afford a bill (we are just choosing to live within our means rather than spend the savings).

Since this time last year, I put on 2kg between November and 1st Jan, then lost 19kg between 1st Jan and now.

I want to lose another 5kg to get myself to where I think my ideal weight is. But I'm bang in the middle of the "healthy" BMI range, so I'm not too fussed. I'm trying to eat less animal-based stuff and less refined sugar / white carbs, but I bought ten custard doughnuts for 38p in Morrisons last week and put them in the freezer, so not being entirely successful!

And I'll echo emzit's thank you! Somewhere to celebrate the arbitrary achievements has also been good!
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Kitcameron » 09 Nov 2015, 12:48

Wow! This all sounds fantastic.

I haven't weighed myself in months but that was never really a massive goal if mine, it was more about losing a few pounds and then maintaining that.

I got really into park run in June when a local one started up and was really enjoying it, it was the only time I ran but I was slowly getting better bit by bit and could feel my energy levels increasing. However, DH getting a new job meant an end to that as he's a postie now and works Saturday mornings so I have the kids. I'd live to join a running club but they all meet at 6.30 and I still feed CM before bed so can't get there in time. That's something to just put on hold though.

My main aim was to reduce my baby fat and as far as I can see that hasn't happened, I'm still not massively happy with my body. It's ok, and it's fine in clothes, it's just out of them that I'd rather look a bit nicer. Not that DH needs any encouragement I have to say but that's not the point lol. On the other hand several people have told me recently that I'm looking slimmer and asking if I've lost weight so maybe it's more obvious to others than to me, maybe I should get the scales out again, or maybe I'm just wearing baggies clothes again now it's getting colder lol. Have to admit I got fed up of calorie counting months ago so I think I'm probably eating more crap again.

Onwards and upwards.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Cofa's Tree » 09 Nov 2015, 13:48

Well done all. I'm feeling inspired by your successes and am really looking forward to getting healthy next year. That must be frustrating Kc, when you want to do something but can't make it work. Do you have any friends you could swap babysitting favours with for a Sat morning? (And congrats on DH's new job btw).

Cheers emzit, I will be taking it gentle, honest :)
Cofa's Tree

Postby Marrow » 09 Nov 2015, 14:52

KC, this is going to sound like I know what I'm talking about, when I really don't! But here we go anyway...

Have you tried some sort of strength training? That can often be done at home (with or without a video), so it might fit in better with your schedule, and be better for getting you "toned" for want of a better word. I'm thinking Shred, or weights, or something like that.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Kitcameron » 09 Nov 2015, 16:19

I hadn't thoug about that Marron no, I'll have to do some internet research and see what I can come up with. I guess I liked Park Run so much because it was early. But well after Im Normally up anyway, so it didn't interfere with our day as a family and I had the energy to do it. Also I was more motivated to go out and do it with a group of other people. I'm not sure whether I'd give in too early if there was no one, other than you guys, to keep me accountable.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Cofa's Tree » 10 Nov 2015, 20:51

Ha, snack-wise I ended up eating about 8 biscuits, 2 brioches, a Cadbury's Twirl, and half a packet of crisps today...so much for my spouting about mindful eating! I did get out for a brisk walk again though so will take the positive from that :)
Cofa's Tree

Previous

Return to The Activity Centre