Calories in sausage casing?

For all ye runners, shredders, dieters and sneaky custard creamers...

Calories in sausage casing?

Postby handstand79 » 20 Mar 2014, 19:47

I am doing Weight Watchers (25lb so far) and I got my butcher to do a batch of sausages with nimble bread, less than 5% pork mince and dried herbs. These are all free foods. I am now just wondering if the sausage casings are really high in calories/ fat. Does anyone know? I'm assuming it can't be that bad as there isn't that much on a sausage.
handstand79

Re: Calories in sausage casing?

Postby FestiveTidings » 20 Mar 2014, 20:22

I don't know for certain, but I don't think they are high in either fat or calories. I certainly don't think they are high in fat as you have to fry them in fat for them to be crispy - they don't generate their own fat? I'm just going by the 5% fat sausages that I used to buy. They didn't crisp up at all when dry frying so I used to take the casings off. Most of the calories in a sausage comes from the fat in the meat. Casings are included in the overall calorie count of a shop bought sausage so by my reckoning, they can't be that high in calories.

Great that your butcher made you sausages to order though! :)
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Fozza » 20 Mar 2014, 21:11

Our butcher does syn (SWorld) free sausages. Ie no bread/gluten. They are free on the plan which must mean the casings are free. Does that help?
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby handstand79 » 20 Mar 2014, 21:47

Thank you. That's really helpful. I guess if they are Syn free with SW they will be point free with WW! They tasted really good!
handstand79

Return to The Activity Centre