Keeping children active in winter

For all ye runners, shredders, dieters and sneaky custard creamers...

Keeping children active in winter

Postby blackberrycrimble » 03 Feb 2014, 19:44

Following on from the overweight thread, thinking about focusing on the exercise part of the equation, I thought it might be helpful to share ideas for exercise in the winter, particularly thinking of things we can do post school.

So, I have the following ideas for this week. I'm aiming for 15-20 mins of activity most days, with more at weekends. My focus is on Sybil but obv F will do the same.

Monday (today): swimming lesson (I think she also had PE, can't remember offhand if it is mon/wed or we'd/fri)
Tue: I'm planing to take their scooters to school pick up and have them scoot around the park a few times on the way home. If it isn't raining...
Wed: rain forecast, so dancing in the living room. (Plus PE)
Thu: park play. Might make up an obstacle course around the play equipment and do time trials.
Fri: might have Friday off.
Sat: if wet: soft play, if dry, long family walk.
Sun: family visiting so overexcited running around all day. Possibly archery in the park.

Other ideas for future weeks:
Outside:
Football
Treasure hunt/obstacle course in the garden
Throwing/catching practice (S is quite good at this and enjoys it)

Inside:
More dancing
Skipping (????)
They like pretending to shred, so could do that
Bit stuck for really active inside ideas...

Anyone want to join in?
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Re: Keeping children active in winter

Postby fourweewonders » 03 Feb 2014, 19:53

We love our sticky kids cds for when its miserable outside (or prefectly fine outside but o.h has left piles of diy rubble and wood with nails sticking out of it all over the garden - which has been the case 75% of the time we have lived here!!!)

Or we play games of can you hop like a bunny, balence on one leg like a flamingo, flap like a butterfly etc
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby busmother » 03 Feb 2014, 20:05

Bouncing on the bed. Or the sofa. Or sofa cushions on the floor if I've noticed the bouncing on the sofa.
Indoor obstacle courses, with beanbags to balance on heads, throw into boxes, stepping stone cushions etc.
Good waterproofs, and going out and jumping in puddles, or anything you'd do outside if it wasn't raining.
Go to the beach (sorry - ours is only 10min walk away, so we do this a lot. May not be feasible for everyone).
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby weasley » 03 Feb 2014, 21:26

Hula hoops! Brilliant indoor activity.
Indoor disco.
Den building (as it usually involves lots of jumping about/dragging bed linen around/wriggling under chairs
Wii games/dance mat
'diving' - Scoot and Toot's current favourite - jumping off a wooden step stool into a pile of pillows.

Sign them up for Rainbows/Beavers - cheap club and involves lots of active play.
Mammy to Scoot(4.7.08) and Toot(4.11.10) and Ducks(26.08.13)
weasley

Postby CherryPop » 04 Feb 2014, 09:45

Go walking in the rain! They won't melt ;). With good waterproofs and wellies, they'll probably get more exercise what with all the jumping in puddles etc.

I've made a real effort since Christmas to stop thinking "Oh it's raining, we'd better stay in", I think I had got back into a delicate-newborn way of thinking and we'd barely been out at all when it was bad weather. Now, unless it's v windy (forest, ridiculously unlopped trees, DANGER!) we go out in all weathers, and it's been loads of fun.
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby jvnt » 04 Feb 2014, 09:48

The boy got given a remote control helicopter - hours of fun with them chasing it, running away from it and jumping up and down trying to catch it. Similar effect with a remote control car for the little one, the big one has stopped chasing it though.

I may be the laziest person on the planet!
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby Rahgamuffin » 04 Feb 2014, 09:50

How does school pick up work? I let B&J play in the playground for a while after school as they are already covered up for outdoors & there are either kids to run around with (they usually play 'it' or get exclusive use of the climbing frame) It also means we get an easier run home as we're not trying to fit on the same paths as hundreds of other families.
Mum to B (05/08), J (02/11) & L (01/14)
Rahgamuffin

Postby blackberrycrimble » 04 Feb 2014, 10:24

Thanks all.

The problem with waterproofs is a) we don't have all in one ones anymore and b) they hate wearing them. They do have umbrellas which we use.

Time is a big issue here. After school we don't really have time to come home and turn around and go back out again, not with fitting in homework, tea, bath etc as well. Once we are in we are all hopeless at going back out again. Fluff in particular would mutiny, she can just about handle the strictures of school as long as she is out she is master of her own destiny as soon as she is home. So it really needs to be on the way home. And if we are on the way home we have book bags, and they are rubbish and not waterproof. Hmmmm we need to get round this somehow. I will have a think. When they were small we absolutely used to just tog up and go out anyway. I guess we need to try it. Garden is a quagmire at the moment (despite being on top of a hill).

Rahgamuffin wrote:How does school pick up work? I let B&J play in the playground for a while after school as they are already covered up for outdoors & there are either kids to run around with (they usually play 'it' or get exclusive use of the climbing frame) It also means we get an easier run home as we're not trying to fit on the same paths as hundreds of other families.

People don't tend to play in the playground but we do walk through the park on the way home (it is the majority of the 5 min journey) and whenever it is not actually raining (or we're not going straight on somewhere) they do play there on the way home. They mostly play on the swings and climbing frames, maybe I can suggest they play It too. My scooting idea was to try to make the most of this.

weasley wrote:Hula hoops! Brilliant indoor activity.
Indoor disco.
Den building (as it usually involves lots of jumping about/dragging bed linen around/wriggling under chairs
Wii games/dance mat
'diving' - Scoot and Toot's current favourite - jumping off a wooden step stool into a pile of pillows.

Sign them up for Rainbows/Beavers - cheap club and involves lots of active play.

Hula hoops is a great idea.

Not so keen on beavers, for structured activity reasons outlined above (plus I suspect it would be hard for me to deal with the god bit).

busmother wrote:Bouncing on the bed. Or the sofa. Or sofa cushions on the floor if I've noticed the bouncing on the sofa.
Indoor obstacle courses, with beanbags to balance on heads, throw into boxes, stepping stone cushions etc.
Good waterproofs, and going out and jumping in puddles, or anything you'd do outside if it wasn't raining.
Go to the beach (sorry - ours is only 10min walk away, so we do this a lot. May not be feasible for everyone).

Oh dear I'm my mother. No bouncing on beds (I might allow on theirs but they are midsleepers so that's dangerous) or sofa allowed here.
Alas the beach is a good hour and a bit drive!

fourweewonders wrote:We love our sticky kids cds for when its miserable outside (or prefectly fine outside but o.h has left piles of diy rubble and wood with nails sticking out of it all over the garden - which has been the case 75% of the time we have lived here!!!)

Or we play games of can you hop like a bunny, balence on one leg like a flamingo, flap like a butterfly etc

<googles sticky kids>

Thanks all.
blackberrycrimble

Postby Tintin » 04 Feb 2014, 11:07

Hmmm, Stompy does a fair few structured activities each week which keep her active. Swimming, ballet, Family Zumba, after-school football club and Rainbows. Our walk home is about 15 mins. If we're walking with her friends, they tend to run around for most of it; if it's just us, it's a much more gentle stroll.

I would definitely go for dancing around the living room. Musical Statues? Are they too old for Sleepy Bunnies/Bouncing Up & Down on a Big Red Tractor etc? We still get away with that here because of Squeak - Stompy will join in. Mmmm, we don't get it out very often, but I have a WiiFit which Stompy likes to play with. The girls often have races up and down the living room. We don't allow bouncing on the sofa either. They have a trampoline in the garden for that!

Our biggest challenge is weekends - both Stompy and DP would happily stay in all day every day, pottering around and playing (or watching TV). It can be really hard to persuade either of them to dress up warmly and go to the park. And it's an absolute non-starter if it's raining!

So, not much help there really. Because she does so many activities, I'm mostly happy to let her be less active when she's at home.

On a tangent - I don't know about Beavers, but with Rainbows, although the God bit bothered me, they have recently changed the wording of hte promise etc and there is now no mention of God. They just have to promise to 'think about their beliefs'. Although they do still have to promise to serve the Queen :(
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby KatGoldLIN » 04 Feb 2014, 12:41

in our house, exercise and playing come WAY before homework. If we decide to go to the park or something after school, then E doesn't do homework that night.
Kat
Mum to E 02/04/2007, G 26/03/2010 and T 30/03/2011
KatGoldLIN

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 04 Feb 2014, 12:45

Buy a farm :mona
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby weasley » 04 Feb 2014, 12:46

blackberrycrimble wrote:Hula hoops is a great idea.

Not so keen on beavers, for structured activity reasons outlined above (plus I suspect it would be hard for me to deal with the god bit).

We just ignore the God bit :wink: Honestly though, the investement is at church but he didn't have to say the bit about loving God and they haven't done anything religious since. I also love that it's 6-7 as it means down time first and he's much more willing to go.

The other thing that keeps them flying about at home is those foam fliers/paper aeroplanes and parachutes - they launch them and run after them for yonks. Up and down stairs with the parachutes.
Mammy to Scoot(4.7.08) and Toot(4.11.10) and Ducks(26.08.13)
weasley

Postby CherryPop » 04 Feb 2014, 12:47

Do you have a garage? Just thinking if you do and it is clearish, you could put a trampoline in there, and hula hoops and skipping ropes, and a CD player, and disco balls, it'd be awesome :D
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby blackberrycrimble » 04 Feb 2014, 12:52

KatGoldLIN wrote:in our house, exercise and playing come WAY before homework. If we decide to go to the park or something after school, then E doesn't do homework that night.

Our homework is still basically just reading for both of them, which they enjoy (I have trouble stopping them doing it the minute they get in), so it counts as fun and playing here. I'm not sitting them down and making them do onerous work for ages. But I take your point.

Tintin, wow that's a lot of activities! We do swimming and at the moment that is it. Fluff used to do football but decided she didn't want to continue (too much being told what to do). She is down for Forest school after half term (not available to S in reception). But she isn't the problem, she doesn't ever sit still. S has shown an interest in football club so was thinking after Easter when the next course starts she could do that.

But thinking about it, the big problem is that she is 4, and until she went to school she was still sleeping in the day a couple of times a week. She is shattered after school. By the end of the week she can barely walk home from school without a meltdown. She gets in and just wants to sit down and have stories or look at books (or watch tv but we limit that). So perhaps I am being unrealistic and it is the weekends we need to focus on.
Last edited by blackberrycrimble on 04 Feb 2014, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
blackberrycrimble

Postby blackberrycrimble » 04 Feb 2014, 12:54

Seriously_Nutty wrote:Buy a farm :mona

Helpful as ever :wink:

weasley wrote:
blackberrycrimble wrote:Hula hoops is a great idea.

We just ignore the God bit :wink: Honestly though, the investement is at church but he didn't have to say the bit about loving God and they haven't done anything religious since. I also love that it's 6-7 as it means down time first and he's much more willing to go.

The other thing that keeps them flying about at home is those foam fliers/paper aeroplanes and parachutes - they launch them and run after them for yonks. Up and down stairs with the parachutes.

She is usually asleep by 7 so maybe we will leave that for a year or two!

CherryPop wrote:Do you have a garage? Just thinking if you do and it is clearish, you could put a trampoline in there, and hula hoops and skipping ropes, and a CD player, and disco balls, it'd be awesome :D

Sounds awesome. No garage. :(
blackberrycrimble

Next

Return to The Activity Centre