Lack of results

For all ye runners, shredders, dieters and sneaky custard creamers...

Lack of results

Postby Tintin » 02 Feb 2014, 18:11

I'm feeling a bit disillusioned about all this exercise I'm doing. :(
Today was Day 1 of Level 3 of the Shred. So, I'm 2/3 of the way through. I've been shredding every day, going to the gym at least twice a week, Zumba one night a week, and swimming for 30mins a week when Stompy has her lesson.

I haven't weighed myself or measured myself since the day before I started, because I decided to wait until I'd done the 30 days to get (hopefully) maximum results.

But, I'm also a firm believer in scales/measuring tapes being only part of the story. And that's the problem. When I look in the mirror, I don't see any changes. My clothes don't feel any different on me. 3 people know I've been doing this seriously - DP says I "feel firmer" (but he would, wouldn't he - and tellingly, he's never said I look any different); my best friend says I look "trim" (but she's my best friend, she would, wouldn't she!); a school mum acquaintance who also goes to the Zumba class knows because it came up in conversation, but she hasn't made any comment - wouldn't you expect her to say "it's obviously paying off" or something? Or as just an acquaintance, is she more likely to avoid making any comment on my weight!? Other than that, the only comment anyone has made is my mum. She doesn't know I've been regularly going to the gym, or doing the DVD, or going to Zumba. I saw her last weekend for the first time in a couple of months. She patted my tummy, and asked if I was pregnant again! :o

Add to that the fact that Jillian Michaels announces today that if you've been Shredding every day and you've got as far as Level 3, you should be starting to see a 6-pack by now!

I just feel like the whole thing is pointless. It's not working. I'm doing more exercise than I have done for a long time, and there's no changes. :(
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Re: Lack of results

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 02 Feb 2014, 18:20

Aww, Tintin. If it helps I've lost a ton of weight since DS was born. DH hasn't said anything, my family haven't said anything, I've had one comment from a friend when the conversation was about weight, and at work I got a few nice comments when I returned from maternity leave but that's all. I think any weight change has to be enormous, maybe a few stone, before people start commenting. In fact, I have a friend who is looking skinnier than I ever remember her and I haven't said anything because I think she now looks too skinny (or maybe she just needs new clothes, her old stuff is hanging off her). So maybe that's the new problem, you need new clothes :wink:
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby salj1980 » 02 Feb 2014, 18:38

Rather than how you look (to yourself or others) how do you feel? If you feel fitter, and better for the exercise, then it is having an effect whether or not you can see it. Don't forget that the quicker you lose weight the more likely you are to put it back on again, so whilst the lack of obvious progress may be disheartening if you do lose it more gradually it will be easier to keep it off.
salj1980

Postby robyn » 02 Feb 2014, 19:15

I find people don't notice or comment until I've lost 2-3 stone I'm sure there are changes, get the tape measure out early.
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby sabrina fair » 02 Feb 2014, 19:49

WTAS.

You know what I noticed the other day when I saw you? You looked less tired and more 'well' than when I've seen you recently. Didn't notice any change in body shape, but as others have said, I'm one of those people who really wouldn't notice unless I saw you in something figure-hugging and you looked practically underweight. I'm seriously unobservant and have a terrible memory. But I do notice if my friends are looking tired/unwell/stressed. It was only afterwards when I saw your update about shredding that I thought 1) wow, what an achievement, and 2) it must be suiting you because you'd been looking better (ie 'well-er') than you have recently.

So, it's absolutely not pointless. You should be incredibly proud of yourself. And you really shouldn't assume any lack of physical results until you weigh and measure yourself. I'd be shocked if that much exercise doesn't have an effect (though remember that muscle weighs more than fat so the scales might not be the most accurate reflection of that change). x
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby mindy » 02 Feb 2014, 22:16

There's also the many health benefits you are gaining - lower Bp, cholesterol, stress, better sleep...... It's a bit like an insurance policy for the future. You will be a happier, healthier person who is setting a fantastic example to their children - don't give up, you've come this far!
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby PerpetualMadness » 02 Feb 2014, 22:33

People are in observant and reluctant to implant that you were bigger before by saying you look slimmer now. I had lost a stone and a half in the half term to Christmas and the only people who noticed and commented were DH and my mum. My gran told my mum I looked well but didn't say anything to me. It's only really in the last couple of weeks that other people have started commenting.

For me, exercise alone doesn't really help me lose weight. I have to watch what I eat too. Swimming is helping me lose weight but alone, it wouldn't. My body needs more than that. I think it's because, without a conscious effort to eat better, I compensate for exercise with food.

But, for all that, I think that the exercise is good for and has health benefits and, if you feel better for it, it's not pointless even without body shape changes.

Keep up the good work. It will pay off. X
PerpetualMadness

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 03 Feb 2014, 02:29

I read somewhere that it takes 2-3 weeks to notice weight loss yourself. And double that for people you see every day. And even longer for acquaintances.
When people tell me I have lost weight I tend to think "mother of god, how big do you think I was??" <contrary>
I'm exercising more than I ever have but I'm losing nothing. I feel 40 times better though.
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Postby shye » 03 Feb 2014, 03:13

It takes AGES for people, even yourself, to notice. When they do, it quickly becomes tiresome!
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 03 Feb 2014, 07:33

shye wrote:It takes AGES for people, even yourself, to notice. When they do, it quickly becomes tiresome!

Ha ha! This! I lost weight last summer and I still have people saying how well I did. Um, I'm over it now and have moved on, I could have done with the encouragement last spring :wink:

I'm sure you will be firmer too. I lost my weight by dieting and I'm now unhappy with my wobbly bits and the prune like loose skin on my tummy. I did shred last summer but couldn't keep it up with TheBean's lack of sleeping. And what PM said about the long term health benefits.

<waves pom poms> you can do it Tintin!
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby RedRum » 03 Feb 2014, 10:06

Are you just exercising, or are you watching your calories too? I find that I can exercise all I want, and although it makes me feel better and happier and more energetic and more confident, and all those other beneficial gains, I don't lose weight unless I carefully track what I'm eating. If you don't already, maybe try an app like myfitnesspal (MFP) although I would suggest setting your goals manually rather than using the ones the app calculated for you as they tend to default to a massive calorie deficit which will be hard to maintain long term and will zap your metabolism and your energy.

Try this calculator to set a calorie goal and try tracking your food for a few weeks to see if it helps: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

(P.S. If you take your regular exercise into account when using the calculator to get your calorie goal, then you shouldn't be eating back your exercise calories on MFP. If you don't include your exercise when calculating your calorie goal then log your exercise on MFP and eat those calories back)

Once you start losing fat through modifying your calorie intake, you will start to see the benefits of the exercise more in terms of muscle definition.
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby Spanner » 03 Feb 2014, 16:39

Try not to be discouraged ((())) I echo what pm said. It's early days and I definitely find that what I eat has a much bigger impact on my weight than exercise. Don't give up!
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 03 Feb 2014, 16:56

Maybe you're like me. I've had to get my rings sized down two sizes, but my arse is still the same size. <wiggles fingers> But look at my lovely sleek fingers! (Did I know my fingers were enormously fat? I did not.)
Seriously though, take a photo of yourself and compare it to one from a few months ago. (Not a look at my work out body picture, a normal photo). I bet you'll see a difference.
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Postby CherryPop » 03 Feb 2014, 17:15

I did the Shred hardcore last year, but I did weigh myself weekly so had an indicator that the weight was coming off. I have to say though, that I didn't notice any change in my body until after I'd done the 30 day shred, and then went on to do various other more-hardcore Jillian workouts for another 2 or 3 weeks, when suddenly I noticed that when I put my hands on my hips, I was actually putting them on my hips rather than on rolls of fat. It felt great, and now I know what I want to aim for ;)

So don't be discouraged, fitness and exercise is important, regardless of outward changes.
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby Tintin » 11 Feb 2014, 23:18

Well, today was the day. 30 days from the start. I tailed off a little towards the end with the shredding - combination of bizarre unexplained back pain, exhaustion and just feeling meh, meant I didn't do the last 3 days. Everything else stayed on track though - gym, Zumba and swimming.

So, I didn't really change my eating habits but did significantly increase my exercise. In the past, this has always been enough to see steady, if not dramatic, weight loss.

I did notice that shredding was easier at the end than it had been at the start, so I guess that means something was improving.

Over the course of 30 days sweat and exhaustion, I lost a grand total of 2kg (so, I'm still overweight according to the height/weight chart in the gym changing rooms).
2" off my waist
1" off under boobs measurement
2" off fullest part of boobs
1" off hips
0.5" off thighs
1" off upper arms

In summary, MEH! :(
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Next

Return to The Activity Centre