Getting healthy

For all ye runners, shredders, dieters and sneaky custard creamers...

Re: Getting healthy

Postby RedRum » 02 Dec 2014, 12:40

CT if you're interested in weight training I would very highly recommend Th New Rules of Lifting for Women which I found a really really interesting and informative read.
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby BigFlower » 02 Dec 2014, 13:32

2lbs is fab CT!

Good luck with the weights, don't let the men put you off!

I'm not feeling very healthy this week unfortunately - whole household has got hacking cough going on, plus in coughing so much I managed to hurt my back. Happy days...! Seem to be improving now so hopefully we have got our illnesses out of the way for a bit. Not been running for a week and really miss it! Think I will try a short one Thursday if I am a bit better.
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby Cofa's Tree » 02 Dec 2014, 15:04

Hope you feel better soon BF.

Cheers RR. I read Thinner, Leaner, Stronger for women by Michael Matthews but got a bit lost in it all. I'm hoping once I get into the routine and get more confident with the basics, I can start to make my way from there. How did you get on with doing weights?
Cofa's Tree

Postby RedRum » 02 Dec 2014, 16:17

I didn't really ever get into 'proper' weights, to be honest, as I can't afford a gym membership, but the book completely re-educated me in terms of metabolism, muscle/fat gain, and all sorts of other information about nutrition and the different impact of different types of exercise and I found it really fascinating and easy to digest. The exercise I do is still very much strength based rather than cardio as a result, but its bodyweight type stuff rather than weights.
RedRum

Postby BigFlower » 04 Dec 2014, 13:11

Ugh still feeling rotten :(

However, not losing hope. Hoping to be healthy and un-sore enough for a short run at the weekend.

And aiming to lose 4 more lbs by the end of Feb. I know not a very tough aim but I know what I'm like over Christmas and don't want to get down about it.

Off to mainline some vitamin C and have a good cough!

Hope everyone else is doing well.
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby RedRum » 04 Dec 2014, 13:46

((((BF)))) Hope you feel better soon.

I haven't been exercising much lately as we've been SO busy (haven't got home before 8pm once yet this week) and I just don't seem to have the momentum right now to get myself up early enough in the morning. I have been pretty good food wise though, and have only gained 5 lbs (at 16+3) so I'm hoping I can keep the weight gain under control. I didn't gain massively with R but was quite overweight pre preg with her, whereas this time round I was (just) within the healthy range, so I'm hoping I can avoid gaining huge amounts. I really do need to get a bit more active though.
RedRum

Postby Cofa's Tree » 02 Jan 2015, 20:11

How's everyone doing? Should we have a 2015 thread?!

I stalled in my weight loss around mid-December, but only put 2lb back on over the festive period, 1 of which I've already lost, whereas I normally would have put on probably half a stone. So feeling pleased with that! I literally couldn't eat anywhere near my usual Christmas over-indulgences.

I made it back to the gym today, and although I'm still carrying a cough so couldn't go flat out as was struggling with my breath, it felt really good to get back to it.

This IS going to be my year :D
Cofa's Tree

Postby Kitcameron » 02 Jan 2015, 21:15

Think I need to do something to get a bit healthier and ready to loose my baby belly now lol. Going to try making twelve changes in twelve months to my diet (possibly add some exercise goals too as I've got stuck on eight dietary goals lol) and be a bit more active on the trying to lose a bit of weight front.

And yes we should have a 2015 thread lol.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby handstand79 » 02 Jan 2015, 22:30

I haven't been on here for a while but just thought I'd update. The Tuesday before Christmas I went to WW for my weekly weigh in and I reached goal! 90.5lb in 50 weeks :) It is only just starting to sink in! Thank you so much for all the wonderful support and encouragent from this thread last year. Because of you I started running (which I need to restart!) and your inspiration helped to motivate me! I've gone from a size 20 to a 10/12! Now to learn to maintain! I may see if I can get to 100lb just to make it a round number ;)
handstand79

Postby Kanga » 02 Jan 2015, 22:51

Wow handstand, that is an amazing achievement! Well done.

I definitely need to do something post Christmas. Had almost got down to pre baby weight although shape still different so clothes don't got, but Christmas has ruined it. It appears ds2 feeding isn't using up asks my calories as I expected, or that I'm way over compensating for bf!

I am partly telling myself baby weight took 9 months to put on & isn't going to go immediately but I could still be eating less. Dh I'd going dairy free this month so if we're not scoffing chocolate that will help I'm sure. Plus the fact he's a stone lighter than me is some incentive! :s
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Nix » 02 Jan 2015, 23:14

I'm here for 2015. I am very heavy, not sure how much overweight but very. My pelvic floor is crap and I know the weight isn't helping that. I know I can do this because I have done it before. I just need to remember that one bad day shouldn't lead into another month of bad days and I need to control my sugar cravings better. Today was day 1 and went ok. Hopefully I will lose quite a few lb before Ibiza in July.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Cofa's Tree » 03 Jan 2015, 09:27

I've started us a new 2015 thread and replied to you all on there :)

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=55161
Cofa's Tree

Previous

Return to The Activity Centre