Dietary spring clean - Low GL Diet

For all ye runners, shredders, dieters and sneaky custard creamers...

Dietary spring clean - Low GL Diet

Postby Rose Bud » 14 Mar 2011, 20:10

Hi there,
am thinking of launching us into a GL diet, just to get my blood sugar levels even, and to eat healthily. I have bought the Patrick Holford book, but the recipes don't look that inspiring. Have any of you done this, and if so where did you get inspiration from? I like Nigel Slater books the best :)
Head gardener to a mostly pink rambling Rose since 09/07. Generally disease resistant, with an upright habit and colourful displays all year round.
Rose Bud

Re: Dietary spring clean - Low GL Diet

Postby RedRum » 14 Mar 2011, 20:13

Is that similar to low GI? I have this book which is great.
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby LemonJuice » 14 Mar 2011, 20:49

Rosebud what is GL?
Mummy to Little Em (09/07) and Caterpillar (01/11) Bf-ing, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, baby signing, BLWing and BLPTing.
LemonJuice

Postby Rose Bud » 14 Mar 2011, 21:55

well - from what I understand from a quick read of the book - it is a diet of unrefined carbs, fruit and veg, that keeps your blood sugar levels on an even keel. It's all to do with insulin resistance, and fat storage too, which is why it is good for weight loss. I am mostly interested in it for the keeping the energy levels up benefits and stopping the afternoon-slumping-chocolate-biscuit fix that I have been going in for recently.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_load
Head gardener to a mostly pink rambling Rose since 09/07. Generally disease resistant, with an upright habit and colourful displays all year round.
Rose Bud

Postby PerpetualMadness » 14 Mar 2011, 22:01

Holford is a quack (http://www.badscience.net/category/patrick-holford/). That said my mum has a low gi book by Anthony worral Thompson and it is full of v tasty recipes.
PerpetualMadness

Postby RedRum » 14 Mar 2011, 22:04

Sounds much the same as Low GI (Glycaemic Index). I try to eat like that, although I don't follow any particular rules. It's not a weight loss plan as such, but it does follow that if you are eating things which keep you feeling full for longer then you will eat less. I actually find it an easy diet (or non-diet) to stick to. Once you learn to spot the low GI things it's really easy and I do find I have more energy, but more noticeably I don't have that horrible post-lunch slump any more. It's much less restrictive than, say cutting out all carbs, and you don't feel like you're depriving yourself of anything (unless you have a profound passion for white bread of course).
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby Rose Bud » 14 Mar 2011, 22:07

ho hum thanks PM - I'm not buying another book - from what I can see it's mostly a wholefood diet with some protein thrown in, which I can live with.

It is very similar RR, and looks sensible. I do have a profound passion from baguettes, which I really need to work on, but I reckon I'll be ok on this for a while.
Rose Bud

Return to The Activity Centre