What keeps you going?

For all ye runners, shredders, dieters and sneaky custard creamers...

What keeps you going?

Postby RJandA » 22 Feb 2011, 09:29

When you're tired, it's 6am and raining, and you could just go back to bed.... what makes you get up and go running / shredding / swimming?

For me, I think of:

the example I want to set for A
my hypothetical next labour, I want the stamina to go the course this time
how I would love to get rid of this wobbly tummy
how I will have to come on here and admit I've skipped a run if I don't go

Come on guys, inspire me!!
Mum to Big A - (March 2010), Li'l A - (December 2012)
RJandA

Re: What keeps you going?

Postby DustyMcBrush » 22 Feb 2011, 09:32

I think of the fact that i know i want another bub, but i also want to enjoy some time of being confident about my body and being fit. Im getting there now and its a great feeling.

It also helps with my quitting smoking!

The thought of LOOKING FORWARD to going jeans shopping! (needless to say, that hasn't happened yet!!)
"So they went off together. But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the Forest a little boy and his Bear will always be playing."
DustyMcBrush

Postby camper » 22 Feb 2011, 09:57

Like you, RJ&A, I want to set a good example to MJ. And to DH too - maybe one day my efforts will inspire him to get off his backside...
I also want rid of my disastrous belly, which was once flat and is now a bag of blancmange. I try and focus on what I used to look like and how my clothes used to fit.
I want to be healthy for as long as possible. I don't want to die young(ish) like my Mum, and I don't want to be a burden to MJ when I'm old.
I find that listening to music from my party days helps me train harder. Partly because it's around the right speed, but also because it reminds me of dancing all night and being able to wear tiny clothes. That seems to do the trick!
camper

Postby jvnt » 22 Feb 2011, 11:27

Peer pressure got me started but health keeps me going.

I was UK size 16 when I arrived in HK and by comparison to everyone I know here, that's just huge. It's amazing how living in a country where other people were a similar size to me made me blasé about the fact that I really was quite overweight. Moving here stopped me hiding behind the idea that I was 'average' and made me realise that my weight and lack of fitness weren't healthy, now I want to be better both for my own benefit and to be an example to The Boy (and, yes, DH too, who has started to go to the gym recently).

I've still got a ways to go but I never want to go back.
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby CherryPop » 22 Feb 2011, 11:37

Well I only just started yesterday so I'm not sure if I'm qualified to answer, but basically, the fact that I know I won't get pregnant again unless I lose weight. I've got about 2 stone to lose, so not a huge amount, but I'm also not getting any younger and the older I get, the more difficult it will be on top of the rest of my problems. So yes, got to be more healthy, got to get rid of these wobbly bits, then I can get me another baby :bsmile ;)
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby skip » 22 Feb 2011, 12:08

All of your reasons RJandA. Plus DH is a fitness freak/sports coach so he encourages/nags me if I'm not feeling up to it. Nerdy, but I started a kind of spreadsheet drawn out on a piece of paper with the days of the week and space for notes, and tick off the days I do each week, plus details of how hard it was, injuries, length of run etc. It really helps to see it like that, because you feel great if you have a week of ticks and (positively) guilty if it's all crosses. A sticker/reward chart for grown ups!!

Mostly though, I'm just happy to have a routine that I can stick to - I've never been fitter in my life and it's a really new experience for me!
skip

Postby camper » 22 Feb 2011, 12:15

Skip - I can't do the punchy bits in the Shred now without thinking of your comment about imagining punching JM in the face when you do it. Makes me giggle every time and that always helps :D
camper

Postby Disco » 22 Feb 2011, 15:41

when I can't be bothered, I try and drag myself along with the knowledge that I will feel so much better and have more energy after it (except today where I excused myself due to period coming back by surprise today after 2 and a half years : 8)
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby shye » 22 Feb 2011, 16:03

I'm a bridesmaid in 2 months and am the only one in the wedding party over size 10/12, and even all the blokes are skinny/athletic! :scream
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby Woodsies » 22 Feb 2011, 20:48

I keep going because I want to tone up! I lost a lot of weight last year very quickly and although I've put a teensy bit on again, I want to tone up and feel fitter. I want to be able to chase the kids about in the park and not get so out of breath. But most of all I want to win the Mums race at school sports day :D :D :D
Mummy to Hannah (November 2005) and Tom (October 2008)
Woodsies

Postby Spartacus#1 » 23 Feb 2011, 09:20

my main thing is wanting to set an example for dd for her to realise its good/fun/normal for exercise to be part of the daily routine.
also to lose weight it slowly piled on after quitting smoking, having ivf, and thyroid probs but enough is enough, I want my old energy levels back and I have to say for the month i've been doing it (nearly) I am feeling really good, still heaps more to do but hopefully all this work will help when i'm on the slopes in 10 days time :mona . My next project is the couch to 5k after I get back from our adventure. and lastly I want to set an example to patients who will come through the door of our new business, nothing like looking the picture of health to promote health eh!. today I yet again had spectators (dd and dh) but dd cracks me up joining in or else saying good girl mammy keep going and then congratulating me on a good job when finishe ;0)
miracle baby born on valentines day 2007 told was never going to happen
Spartacus#1

Return to The Activity Centre