Am i still allowed?!

Oh my God, look! Your baby is eating broccoli!
Feel free to boast about your child here.
And if it's not going so brilliantly yet? Come and have a right old whinge.

Am i still allowed?!

Postby niamhsmummy91 » 10 Feb 2011, 19:44

I feel naughty lurking around when Niamh has bits of mush sometimes! I love it hear and don't want to leave but i must confess we are not 100% BLW, i feel like a fraud. Although she gets very involved in the mush, feeds herself and sticks her hands in it and it goes everywhere. I'm just a worry wart and she's not taking enough hind milk as she will not take long feeds. Just gets completly distracted. And she's still not got the hang properly of eating herself tho she makes a good go of it. So when she can eat ANYTHING then i want to convert 100% to babyled weaning. But i'd like to hang around till then if thats okay?! I love the humour and banter here. Its great.
Mum to a home-birthed, breastfed, BLWing little mokey!
niamhsmummy91

Re: Am i still allowed?!

Postby Jem » 10 Feb 2011, 19:49

I don't care how your feed your baby because I'm only here as tech support at the minute, but I want to point out that the whole foremilk/hindmilk thing is a big fat red herring and you really shouldn't worry about it one tiny dot.

:D
Resident geek. Mum to Isabel; Nov '09, & Oliver; May '12.
Jem

Postby niamhsmummy91 » 10 Feb 2011, 19:51

Oooo really, thats good. I was worrying myself cos her poo is never yellow. Blehhh, she's happy and healthy i should just stop being such a worry wart. I think it would help if she let me sleep some more lmao!
niamhsmummy91

Postby TwinklinGDecorations » 10 Feb 2011, 19:55

WSS ^^^^ The Monster NEVER fed for more than 10 minutes and he only ever took 1 boob at a time and he flew from the 25th to 75 percentile doing that. According to most BF folklore he wouldn't have had hindmilk in his life. The Pickle fed for up to 15 min at a time (but that was for both boobs) but never longer and did the same, she definitely had hindmilk.

Before we go on about timings only, do you have other reasons for thinking she is not getting much hindmilk? Windy baby, Green poos, unsettled between feeds?

AND most importantly
niamhsmummy91 wrote:he gets very involved in the mush, feeds herself and sticks her hands in it and it goes everywhere.
This sounds pretty baby led to me!!
So somehow it happened, my weaners are at school,
I'm still here though and people I'll try to fool,
with tales of advice giving and of wanting to know
But really here's the only place I ever want to go.
TwinklinGDecorations

Postby niamhsmummy91 » 10 Feb 2011, 20:02

Her poo's are changing now anyway since she's having some solids, they were majority yellow before maybe a green one every 3 and now there just wierd. This is going to be too much info but when she does poo's there never big poo's just like farty poos if that makes sense and they are sometimes yellow sometimes green :/
Thankyou, i am trying to do it baby led. Not just shovel mush in! She leads and i want her to enjoy food. I just need to stop plain worrying about it!
niamhsmummy91

Postby TwinklinGDecorations » 10 Feb 2011, 20:09

Some BF babies only poo every 10 days or so as they don't waste any of the lovely they milk they are getting, it is all absorbed. Some like mine are greedy guts and pooed every 2 hours and it is all normal.

Removing the worry is the key thing, sounds so simple but so very hard to do sometimes. It sounds to me like you are doing great :)
TwinklinGDecorations

Postby niamhsmummy91 » 10 Feb 2011, 20:15

I know what you mean, if theres nothing to worry about i seem to find myself something. I have a talent for it. Tbh i'd rather not worry at all but it just isn't in my nature ;) We will carry on as we are and still lurk around here as it gives me many a laugh each day :D
niamhsmummy91

Postby TwinklinGDecorations » 10 Feb 2011, 20:19

Don't just lurk - join in!!
TwinklinGDecorations

Postby niamhsmummy91 » 10 Feb 2011, 20:20

Thankyou i will! Its lovely here :D xx
niamhsmummy91

Postby guacamole-joley » 10 Feb 2011, 20:49

niamhsmummy91 wrote:I feel naughty lurking around when Niamh has bits of mush sometimes! I love it hear and don't want to leave but i must confess we are not 100% BLW, i feel like a fraud. Although she gets very involved in the mush, feeds herself and sticks her hands in it and it goes everywhere. I'm just a worry wart and she's not taking enough hind milk as she will not take long feeds. Just gets completly distracted. And she's still not got the hang properly of eating herself tho she makes a good go of it. So when she can eat ANYTHING then i want to convert 100% to babyled weaning. But i'd like to hang around till then if thats okay?! I love the humour and banter here. Its great.

My good friend is doing a mixture of mush and batons, and as she put it, it has to be what YOU feel comfortable with. I agree, it sounds pretty baby led to me!

I'm a fairly newly qualified midwife, and as I understand it, hindmilk is important. But, all boobs are different - including our own two.... one is likely to be much faster at emptying than the other. As they get older, babies are much more efficient are draining the boob. I have taken boyo messing around at the boob / getting distracted as a sign that he was thirsty for some of the more watery milk and hopefully not starving / dissatisfied!

some good info here from la leche
Code: Select all
http://www.llli.org/FAQ/foremilk.html
guacamole-joley

Postby niamhsmummy91 » 10 Feb 2011, 21:02

Yeahhhh you have a point. Oooo newly qualified midwife? I'm hoping to start an access to midwifery course this september :D Really want to do it. Any tips? xx
niamhsmummy91

Postby guacamole-joley » 10 Feb 2011, 21:03

That was supposed to be reassuring, and I'm not sure it reads that way. What I was trying to say was short feeds are fine if your baby is growing and is happy!
guacamole-joley

Postby guacamole-joley » 10 Feb 2011, 21:06

niamhsmummy91 wrote:Yeahhhh you have a point. Oooo newly qualified midwife? I'm hoping to start an access to midwifery course this september :D Really want to do it. Any tips? xx

Do it! Best thing I ever did. Top tip, ring the institution you are applying to and find out EXACTLY what they want you to do to get on the course. Access course sounds perfect, my uni liked students to have volunteered / worked on a maternity ward so that might be an option? Good luck!
guacamole-joley

Postby Jem » 10 Feb 2011, 21:09

guacamole-joley wrote:I'm a fairly newly qualified midwife, and as I understand it, hindmilk is important. [/code]

Yeah, it's important, but the point is that fat is made as soon as bubs starts feeding and it gets more concentrated as a feed goes on ... it's not just a case of oooh, this first 50ml is watery and this next 150ml is fatty, you know? That was what I was getting at.

Disclaimer: no actual medical knowledge, just spent a lot of time reading about breastfeeding, studying it, etc (oh, and doing it too :D )
Resident geek. Mum to Isabel; Nov '09, & Oliver; May '12.
Jem

Postby niamhsmummy91 » 10 Feb 2011, 21:15

Ooo thankyou, my mum's at edge hill and i'd ideally like to go there so she's got me a number to ring who could give me what they want and also help with going about getting some experience. I'm really looking forward to it, always thought about midwifery but never went for it as i'm quite squeemish but after i had Niamh i was just like "I HAVE to do this and just get over it!" :D xxx
niamhsmummy91

Next

Return to New to BLW?