Physio Partners

For all ye runners, shredders, dieters and sneaky custard creamers...

Physio Partners

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 02 Feb 2011, 15:05

I have had a dodgy shoulder for an absolute age now. I was given physio exercises to do but to be completely honest I only do them when it starts to really hurt and as soon as it's back to below my pain threshold I stop doing them... until it hurts too much again.

Now that TheWriggler is a bit older I think I can find some time to do them twice a day. In the morning while he's faffing in the bath and I'm getting dressed, and at night after he's gone to bed. Is anyone else out there a physio avoider? Would you like a buddy for a bit of encouragement and a nudge when needed? Or just to nudge me if this thread goes quiet for too long!?!

I'm off tonight for a massage, which should work out most of the knotted muscles, then I need to do my exercises regularly to get my shoulder back into shape once and for all! Who's with me?
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Re: Physio Partners

Postby tanzanyte » 03 Feb 2011, 11:26

Sorry to hear you've got a bad shoulder. Massage sounds great though, I reckon you'll need lots of that to recover!!!
I ought to get involved with this thread. I used to be so good and do the all of my physio exercises religiously but over a year postpartum and still suffering with pgp I've kind of given up. I know, I know, very bad considering the last thing my physio said as she signed me off (because there's nothing more they can offer me) was that the worst thing I could do was stop with the exercises. I really ought to get back into my old regime but I'm sooooooo bored with it, not to mention to exhausted and in too much pain from my illness. I'm about to embark on a weeks intensive private therapy at the end of this month in the hope that they can work some magic so I may come back from that all buoyed up again.
I'm happy to nudge and give encouragement periodically as I'm not able to get on here much these days. Do the exercises you've been given take a long time or are they in nice short bites of about 5-10mins?
Muffin Oct '07
Squeaky moomin Dec '09
tanzanyte

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 03 Feb 2011, 13:58

Thanks tanzanyte! I'm sorry to hear you're suffering too. Intensive private therapy sounds like it might be both painful and expensive, I hope it's neither.

The massage was lovely but I had such a headache last night after she'd worked on all of my muscles. My mild sciatica seems to have been sorted and my back does feel better (although my shoulder hurts a bit more today :( ) She said not to do my exercies until this evening, so I'll be doing them at 5 before I get TheWriggler from nursery.

Embarrasingly the exercises don't take long, about 5 minutes to start off with then as I progress I'll add more reps and weights. It's the fact that it'll hurt more before it gets better that puts me off.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby tanzanyte » 04 Feb 2011, 10:03

How do you feel this morning after your massage and evening reps Rosie?

The private therapy might be painful (will have to wait and see) but thankfully it's free as it's through DH work. Just wish we'd found out about it earlier.

I think that's the problem with physio, it always huts a little, but to be honest it shouldn't overly hurt if you've been given the right exercises. I had months of it with my back after my first pregnancy and all it seemed to do was make things worse and give me referred nerve pain. The physio referred me back to the consultant as she was at a loss. By the time my appointment came though I was pregnant and thankfully it eased off for the whole of my pregnancy (yay for relaxin!). I was already doing physio stuff for my back and hips which I think has helped massively second time round. I always engage my core muscles before I lift either of the kids or bend etc so I don't think I've suffered as badly with my back. I keep thinking that in a months time my son will be the age I'd moved my daughter from a cot to a bed as I simply couldn't bend down to place her in her cot. I guess it might be down to weight as I don't think he's quite as heavy but at the moment it certainly doesn't feel as excruciating as I remember it being first time round.

You will get there. Half of it is motivation as come evening when you've got time to yourself the last thing you actually want to do is exercise.
I'm glad the massage helped even if it did give you a headache and set your shoulder off a bit, hopefully that's calmed down today? Can you set up regular sessions of massage?
I wish I had enough money to follow my bosses philosophy of having a full body massage once a month to keep everything on an even keel. Although in my case a trip to the osteopath might be more helpful!
Muffin Oct '07
Squeaky moomin Dec '09
tanzanyte

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 04 Feb 2011, 12:11

I'm feeling better today but my shoulder is still very tight. She wanted to see me every week to 10 days because my back was so bad, but at £40 a pop(!) I can't afford that. I booked in initially for once a month but then decided I could afford once a fortnight for a month or so if I dip into savings, and my health is definitely worth that.

I did the exercies last night and this morning and weirdly my "bad" shoulder felt fine (even though it was clicking all over the place it just ached like you do after a workout which I took as a good sign!) but my "good" shoulder felt wrong when I was doing the exercises. I'm going to do the exercises for a few weeks and if it still feels strange I'll go back to the doctor and see if I can get a referal to a physio. I'd really just like the reassurance that I'm doing the exercises right. I had that feeling before though and it turned out I was doing them perfectly so I'm not too worried.

I'm glad your back seems to be better this time around and I hope the therapy isn't too painful.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby tanzanyte » 15 Mar 2011, 10:15

Sorry I've been a bit slack about posting here as it's been manic since I've returned from the intensive therapy course.
That said I am all renewed because I've been given different exercises - Yay! no more crappy ineffective exercises for me :) And I've got therabands to use which will be a welcome relief from using the gym ball. Now it's just finding the time to fit them in.

How are you getting on with your reps?
Are you still having massages or have you had to stop those?
Sometimes wish I could go for more alternative therapies but as you've said it's not exactly affordable on a regular basis.
Muffin Oct '07
Squeaky moomin Dec '09
tanzanyte

Return to The Activity Centre