Getting Healthy 2016

For all ye runners, shredders, dieters and sneaky custard creamers...

Re: Getting Healthy 2016

Postby mindy » 23 Jun 2016, 10:14

Well done Cofa, brilliant achievement!!
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 23 Jun 2016, 11:54

Brilliant CT!!!! Such a fantastic achievement!

Well, did a small run on Friday and was feeling great - really good to be out - but foot was incredibly painful for the rest of the day, but miraculously fine on Saturday! A bit sore on Monday (I wore heels on Sunday, but not actually for very long!) so I tapped on Tuesday. It was OK. I've just done 6KM on the cross trainer, thinking it won't have the same heel impact as running and it feels ok. I can't believe I was on it for nearly 20 minutes - I used to not be able to do 1!!!!!

I'm going to do my medal 5KM on my friends treadmill next week hoping it will be softer on my foot. Then the countdown starts on the Race for Life. I can't possibly hope to run it all but fingers crossed I can run half and walk half.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby StJuniper » 23 Jun 2016, 12:45

Awesome work CT, and good for you for persevering, URF.

Went on my first run in a full year last night. Just a mile. Right now I want to focus on running a mile faster, and then I'll work on going further. I also went for a walk with the kids, so got over 8000 steps in for the day.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Kitcameron » 29 Jun 2016, 11:08

Anyone heard of Herbalife or got any thoughts on them?

I've just started a 6 day trial with them (5:2 fell by the wayside with the onset of chicken pox). Not really using it for dieting but just to try and eat a bit healthier and my friend, who is also my herbalife coach, or whatever thy call them, says I probably need to eat more protein instead of dieting. I'm pretty sure though, both from previous knowledge and her stats from the scanner, that mainly I need to exercise more. Hoping that Herbalife will help me get more energy though so I can exercise in an evening instead I just collapsing.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby catie_lou » 04 Jul 2016, 16:50

EnigmaFish wrote:I'm still trying to fall in love with my new FitBit. (If anyone has a FitBit and we're not FitBit Friends yet, we should be.) Maybe I got it at the wrong time: I just started a new working schedule, and every time I go out with the girls I take them in the bike trailer. The FitBit doesn't seem to acknowledge the amount of work I'm doing cycling and pulling a 40kg load! My steps are really low each day pq I don't do much actual walking at the moment. I am really competitive and I want to win the challenges, but I don't know how to get the steps in.
Does anyone know how it measures steps?

to register steps you could try putting on your leg/ankle when you are cycling, as it registers forward movement.
catie_lou

Postby StJuniper » 04 Jul 2016, 17:34

How attached are you to cycling instead of walking? I'm just thinking because the nice thing about walking with kids is they get to use up their energy too, whereas with them riding, you're doing lots of work but they're just sitting. Maybe you could alternate days?

For me I found having the Fitbit makes me much less efficient :) Like, instead of trying to carry all the folded laundry in one go, I travel back and forth getting the items for each room. I also feel a lot less frustrated by the time I spend walking/rocking Tumbleweed around the house than I would've before I had the Fitbit. I always like the feeling of killing two birds with one stone.

The stairs in my house are only 8 feet, though, so I feel cheated every time I go up and down...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Cofa's Tree » 25 Jul 2016, 06:29

'Kick up the bum' time! 8lbs back on over holiday, but 3lb lost this week so a good start. But really having to fight myself over ridiculous food urges. Like I popped to B&Q (diy store) yesterday. I'd already had breakfast but just because I was on my own (very rare these days!), I had to battle against going to McDonald's to buy a breakfast and have a secret binge :? (but I did manage to resist!) . So, I need to keep on track over these next six weeks of school holiday.

How's everyone else doing? I'm loving our Fitbit challenges, but have also slipped at getting my daily goal so need to get back onto that as well,
Cofa's Tree

Postby Marrow » 25 Jul 2016, 07:53

I haven't been doing brilliantly ever since getting back from holiday. Up and down.

This weekend has included far too much cake and far too little walking. My excuse for not running today is that my leggings aren't clean - we haven't done any laundry either. So I'm going to count my calories today (but probably not be on target), get a good night's sleep, and start again properly tomorrow.

StJ, the stairs in my house register on fitbit as three flights. "Oh, you've left <insert thing that no-one really cares about> upstairs? Let me just get that for you!" Calves of steel. Thighs of jelly, but calves of steel ;)
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Kitcameron » 27 Jul 2016, 20:12

I don't think I'm going to loose much weight without upping my exercise so I've ordered a Zumba DVD to do at home and I've been trying to do 5-10 minutes exercise using the Sworkit app in evening. Not managed many yet due to pulled muscles, coughs and AF but hoping to keep going with them. Also trying to work on my diet more as MFP and my Herbalife co sultans both tell me I need more protein and more fibre in my diet. Not sure how long I'll keep going with Herbalife but having a protein shake in the morning is definitely improving my mood if nothing else. DH has bought cheaper protein shake powder to make his own shakes so I'll probably go onto that too as long as it still tastes ok and maybe get some better scales lol.
Kitcameron

Postby LucyLastic » 29 Jul 2016, 10:34

I suspect my absence from this thread for some time probably gives away the fact that I not only fell off the wagon when I had flu, but proceeded to set fire to the wagon and ate pizza while I watched it burn. Anyway. I've had a couple of months of wine in the evening but am fed up of it now. Have put weight back on, but not all of it, so I don't actually feel too disheartened. Going back to the gym will be tricky as C no longer gets her 15 hours at nursery, so I'm only putting her in for one afternoon a week. But I might investigate going swimming one or two evenings a week. Just got Jamie's new super food family classics oeuvre so shall peruse that at my leisure and start by taking C for a walk this afternoon. Wish me luck :-/
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby StJuniper » 29 Jul 2016, 10:54

KC, I have a lovely recipe for a vanilla chai tea protein shake if you're interested...
StJuniper

Postby Kitcameron » 30 Jul 2016, 07:35

Ooh yes please,
Kitcameron

Postby StJuniper » 30 Jul 2016, 07:50

1L soy milk
Unflavoured whey protein powder
2 chai green tea bags, or 1 scoop looseleaf chai green tea*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sugar or honey, to taste

Put soy milk and green tea in a pot, bring to a boil, and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Stir in sweetener to dissolve, then stir in vanilla and 1-2 scoops of protein powder (or measure according to your powder's directions, my scoop is on the large side). Transfer to a jug and chill until ready to serve.

*I bought some on Amazon. If you can't find it, you could always use chai black tea or brew plain green tea with chai spices (cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, and star anise pods).
StJuniper

Postby Kitcameron » 20 Aug 2016, 20:21

I've just signed up for a gym (with a spa, wahoo) roll on sept when the girls are back at nursery and I can really get going with it. What with four days of nursery runs (extra on a Mon as CM is finishing at lunchtime and SM at 3pm) my step count should be looking nice and healthy. Yey.

Weighed myself last night? Booooo. Need to eat better. Weaning CM probably is t helping lol
Kitcameron

Previous

Return to The Activity Centre