Frugality

We're all in this together, remember, so while the world is collapsing around our ears it might be nice to have a place to talk about new-found frugalities and old-fashioned eco-living. And mooncups.

Re: Frugality

Postby blossom » 11 Jun 2009, 21:17

That pebbles idea is both brilliant and lovely!!! :D
blossom

Postby blossom » 11 Jun 2009, 21:19

Can I ask if anyone's sold anything at a car boot sale? Do you make much? Are they worth doing? We need to have a clear out!
blossom

Postby kin_paniscus » 11 Jun 2009, 21:50

i think it depends on the car boot sale. we went to one at xylia's school on sunday, and it was sooooo quiet. people probably lost money (it's a fundraiser for the school--there's a £5 table fee). then there's one between our town and another and it always looks bustling. i'm sure people make a good deal at that one.

i'm thinking that i may try making a bunch of nifty little crafty things--bracelets and other things to sell next year at the school's one. this is the school's first year trying it.

i'm interested in helping the fundraising side of things for the school, though. otherwise i'd be headed up to the big one.
hannah (33), mumma to X (january '05) and F (april '08).
kin_paniscus

Postby camper » 12 Jun 2009, 13:10

We're currently trying to sell everything we own before we emigrate so I consider myself something of a car boot queen at present. What I've learnt so far -
Ask around friends/ people who go to boot sales as to which ones are busy, or are best for what you're selling - there's one near us where lots of families go and people sell lots of baby stuff - useful knowledge.
Best time to go is a bank holiday weekend when the sun is out.
Price everything before you go - tedious but it means when you get out of your car and everyone jumps on you, waving stuff in your face asking "how much" you can refer them to the label you've already applied. Saves lots of stress.
Price low but give yourself some haggling room - if you put it on for rock bottom you'll only get haggled lower anyway, but if you price too high people just tut at you and walk away.
Take a table to put stuff on, change to use as float, a rail for clothing - practical stuff that makes it easier for people to see what you've got and buy it
Prices per pitch are usually £5-8
People buy the wierdest junk and ignore really decent stuff - I've been trying to sell a footspa & facial steamer that's never been out of the box for a fiver and no-one's so much as looked at it, but a bag of old shells I picked up off the beach, a manky old jumper, a kettle full of limescale all went :?
My top tip is to go with some friends (if you can share a car you'll keep costs down) and the moral support is invaluable - I'd also recommend taking a thermos of tea and some Danish pastries :D
I've never made more than £20 but have never sold any single items of great value - for books (paperbacks only) or CDs I use second-hand Amazon and stuff you might get more money for (bikes, designer/ posher clothing) I'd use ebay
camper

Postby darkpixie » 12 Jun 2009, 20:26

Pagea wrote:We find it hard to have willpower when it comes to treats...
We decided that we can afford these treats each month, it's the takeaway every week and two trips to the corner shop for evening goodies that is killing the budget :(

I love the pebble idea and I think I'm going to steal it. We also have terrible willpower, especially for take-aways at weekends, and I think this system would be a great way of keeping track of what treats we've 'used up' in a month!
Mummy to LittlePixie (Aug 07) and BabyPixie (Aug 10) x
darkpixie

Postby Pagea » 12 Jun 2009, 21:32

We've only got one treat pebble left - no meal out or takeaway until July - aaargh!

Rosie has outgrown the bottoms of her PJs because of her fat cloth nappy bottom, but the tops still fit fine. SO, I have just made some new bottoms out of one of DH's old vests using Oriel's link, and it was really easy! I don't think they'd win any prizes for beauty or neat sewing, but they're only PJs, and once I've made three pairs I would be confident enough to make her a pair of trousers I reckon.

Will save the idea and use it to make fleece over-trousers for winter when she is in the sling/playing out. I made some last winter but they were a bit of an odd shape as I just made the pattern out of thin air :D
SAHM to Rosie (Jan 2008)
Stork visiting again June 2010
Pagea

Postby Pagea » 12 Jun 2009, 21:39

Oh, and the home-made playdough recipe in the Birth to 5 book is ace (1 cup water, 1/2 cup salt, 1 cup plain flour, 2 tbsps cream of tartar - mix all together and heat gently until dough forms, cool, store in fridge) You can add food colouring or poster paint for colour too.
SAHM to Rosie (Jan 2008)
Pagea

Postby realsLINshady » 13 Jun 2009, 03:59

realsLINshady

Postby dizzymoo » 13 Jun 2009, 08:43

I bought:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Crafts-Ch ... 370&sr=8-1

it has loads of different ideas for using stuff lying around instead of buying new stuff (lol, just thought had to obviously BUY the book!), has a fab recipe for salt dough which you can bake - I can post it if you guys want it.

Pagea - I found a good pattern for pyjama bottoms, actually Skip I thought of you when I saw a pattern for 'Huck Finn' style three quarter length trousers! Think it might have been in 'Weekend Sewing'. I can try scanning the patterns if anyone wants them or will I be sued for Copyright?

Edited bit - just got e-mail from www.lovemoney.com and thought I'd post the like for the frugal followers:
http://www.lovemoney.com/news/ways-to-s ... -3516.aspx
Mum to Milliemoo born 21.08.08 - BF, cloth nappies, sleeps, and now BLPT too!
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... fe2ceffa3b
dizzymoo

Postby skip » 13 Jun 2009, 09:29

dizzymoo wrote:Pagea - I found a good pattern for pyjama bottoms, actually Skip I thought of you when I saw a pattern for 'Huck Finn' style three quarter length trousers! Think it might have been in 'Weekend Sewing'. I can try scanning the patterns if anyone wants them or will I be sued for Copyright?

Haha got the book for my birthday! Isn't it great? Got some spotty material for £2 the other day which I'm going to make the everything tote bag with... My next project has to be some cloth nappies as M is growing too fast out of his old ones...

http://mayna.livejournal.com/198548.html
skip

Postby dizzymoo » 13 Jun 2009, 15:16

It is cool, I love it, am gonna try the smock dress for Moo as it says it only takes an hour (an hour a night for the next six years if I make it)! I've just had an hour off - mum went one way with Moo and went the other into town, bought ANOTHER book - Applique for Little Ones, as want to make Moo a wall hanging, and they have a fab one in there :D OMG, bad idea, just opened it whilst typing and there's loads of gorgeous stuff - fabric garage, patchwork doll's house...the list goes on!

I love the idea of the cloth nappies, I'm glad I bought Moo expandable ones, I only bought them coz the lovely people at Natwest gave me back my Loan PPI for the last five years :D Oh and obviously because would save me money in the long run!
Mum to Milliemoo born 21.08.08 - BF, cloth nappies, sleeps, and now BLPT too!
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... fe2ceffa3b
dizzymoo

Postby blossom » 13 Jun 2009, 15:41

Camper, thanks for your amazing car boot tips. My friend did one recently and managed to make £140 which I thought was unusual! She buys a lot of things and so would have had a tonne of lovely stuff to sell. I'll set my sights a tad lower! How much do you get for baby clothes and do you have to have them all presented perfectly? I'm guessing it's best to run an iron over them but I can't be bothered to have them all folded up nicely over cardboard as one friend did for a nearly-new sale.

Dizzymoo, I have that green craft book as well and I looooove it! I also bought the gardening one. I used the salt dough recipe to make numbers for my 19mth old and now she knows all her numbers to 10, whereas before she wasn't that interested. I think it's because this way she has been able to feel each number, similar to the sandpaper number idea.

Pagea, I was thinking I might put a pot of pebbles beside the bed for Mr B :wink: When he's out, he's out!!!!!!!
blossom

Postby Pagea » 13 Jun 2009, 19:57

:oops: :oops:

It was funny reading about the swanky salt on that thread - we had the same problem! I dissolved as much of the sea salt as I could in the water, but it didn't all go in, so I strained it as I didn't fancy gritty playdough!
SAHM to Rosie (Jan 2008)
Pagea

Postby camper » 15 Jun 2009, 12:41

How much do you get for baby clothes and do you have to have them all presented perfectly? I'm guessing it's best to run an iron over them but I can't be bothered to have them all folded up nicely over cardboard as one friend did for a nearly-new sale.

I wouldn't bother ironing them but I don't iron anything, even my work uniform :oops: I'd price most things at 10-50p unless they were really special. The NCT nearly new sale can be a great place to buy and sell second-hand clothes, and you can charge more than people will pay at a car boot sale. But I recently spent loads of time sorting our stuff out for it, then our local one was a total no-show disaster as it clashed with about three other local baby events. My SIL and I had had high hopes as the previous one had had queues round the block, but this time it was rubbish - we both got most of our stuff returned :(
What sort of prices do any other car boot experts here charge for baby stuff? What would people be prepared to pay?
camper

Postby mummyknowsbest » 15 Jun 2009, 13:00

I love the idea of making clothes especially for my girl who is still loving girly clothes but clothes for her age are starting to get a bit too "fashionable" for my liking.

However with Zero budget buying a sewing machine scares me. If i go really cheap will it be rubbish and not do anything. If i try to spend too much i'll just keep putting it off and never get one. Any suggestions??
LittlePom born on October 14th 2007
BigSis born on June 26th 2004
mummyknowsbest

PreviousNext

Return to Reduce, Recycle, Re-use