Mooncup (as seen on a Veggie Nugget thread near you...)

We're all in this together, remember, so while the world is collapsing around our ears it might be nice to have a place to talk about new-found frugalities and old-fashioned eco-living. And mooncups.

Re: Mooncup (as seen on a Veggie Nugget thread near you...)

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 31 Aug 2015, 20:26

I've got one too! Not had a period yet since Baby Girl was born but at least when it comes back I can have the excitement of trying out the mooncup!

Oops QBM!
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby Fish&Chips » 31 Aug 2015, 20:59

Ok I love it! Struggled to get it out a little to empty it just now but it's a matter of practice I think. Positioning it back seems easy enough and once I trimmed the stem by half it's totally like it's not even there. This is not what I expected at all. This is much better!
Mummy to gorgeous boy since Dec 2012
Fish&Chips

Postby qbm » 01 Sep 2015, 05:41

That's great F&C! I genuinely enjoy using mine :)
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Kitcameron » 01 Sep 2015, 13:22

Think I may just have got AF back after a glorious 3 yrs 8 months (ok so I may have had one between SM and CM but that was it.

Of course mooncup is at home and I am on holiday raaar. Hoping I can make do with light pads until Thurs when we get home.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby sabrina fair » 01 Sep 2015, 19:02

:oops: Mine keeps falling down :oops:

But I'm persevering because I love it otherwise. I think it's an issue with my pelvic floor which is itself affected by poor posture. I'm working on it....
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby ChristmasGift » 01 Sep 2015, 20:02

so tempted to get one of these....
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby sabrina fair » 01 Sep 2015, 20:11

ChristmasGift wrote:so tempted to get one of these....

Do it!
sabrina fair

Postby Kitcameron » 04 Sep 2015, 14:08

Mine too SF. It was actually really uncomfortable this morning so I've gone back to tampax for the rest of the day and will try again tomorrow. I don't know if I'm not getting it far enough in, or if I've not chopped the stalk short enough, although there's not much let to chop off now, or if there's a sharper edge now I've cut the stalk, or what. I'm sure it's just a matter of practise but I hope I get the hang of it soon lol.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby eterna » 04 Sep 2015, 14:24

You know those days when you're stressed, and nothing is working out at home or work and then your period starts...

But Wait! You just randomly threw your mooncup into your purse that morning even though you were supposed to have a week before it showed up... Hooray!

#littlevictories
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Postby sabrina fair » 04 Sep 2015, 14:37

:-D
sabrina fair

Postby Fish&Chips » 05 Sep 2015, 07:32

Ok so the washable pretty patterned liners... Are some better than others? Would cheap ones from eBay do, like ones with charcoal bamboo liner? Also are 10" ones necessary or 8" is enough? I'm thinking of using them as panty liners for in between my periods, as I always need one, also in addition to my mooncup just in case, although so far it served me very well! Oh and realistically how many is good number to have? They do packs of 5, is one enough or should I get two(they will combine postage and I'm trying to save my money as much as I can now)? Thanks ladies x
Mummy to gorgeous boy since Dec 2012
Fish&Chips

Postby junglewonderland » 05 Sep 2015, 12:11

I'm a bit far away F&C, but I ended up investing in a big stash of washable pads- about 8 light, 6 medium and 6 heavy. I like having back up for my mooncup (plus I had thrush a few times and couldn't use it) but I figured I would buy then once and they would last the rest of my life. I think I bought a couple to start with to try and went from there.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 02 Oct 2015, 20:31

Argh just lost long post!

So I'm here :) . I got AF back, making it third one in nearly 6 years! I know I've got lucky getting to nearly 2 years PP without one but I reckon if I'm BF morning, afternoon, bedtime and overnight I shouldn't really be getting a period!

It's taken me 2 days on and off but I have now read this full thread! I still have a few questions..

1) When I remove it, I squeeze bottom, wriggle around until finally break seal and try and ease it out. However, I have to pretty much re-fold it up to get it out and basically pours all over my hands and makes a mega mess. Not too much of a problem at home (although I'm interested in how much is actually in there!) but what am I doing wrong?

2) It also really hurts to take out. Not the sucky-in not-broke-seal thing but the pulling it out, burning "crowning" pain! Anyone else get this? What am I doing wrong?

3) I assume no one has trampolined in one?!

4) Does anyone swim with one? I saw upthread that someone did and got pool water in the cup (yuck!) which worries me slightly.

5) When I insert it seems to pop open almost immediately so I have to squeeze it together once inside and then push up a bit more. Anyone get this / solved this one?

Thanks! Really want this to work!
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 02 Oct 2015, 20:32

Also, on reading the thread I've found out that the Veggie Nugget reference was to another thread where the mooncup was first mentioned. Whenever I've seen it, I've assumed it was some alternative "lentil weaving" (as DH often refers to me) type of reference!
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby mamapup » 02 Oct 2015, 20:39

Quickly, pretty sure I have trampolined with one and I have certainly swum with one without any worries.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

PreviousNext

Return to Reduce, Recycle, Re-use