Reducing waste in packed lunches - repost

We're all in this together, remember, so while the world is collapsing around our ears it might be nice to have a place to talk about new-found frugalities and old-fashioned eco-living. And mooncups.

Reducing waste in packed lunches - repost

Postby jvnt » 03 Oct 2014, 09:56

Packed lunch experts, help please!?

I have a variety of sandwich pouches and a thermos for his hot food which is great for reducing waste but I usually include either a smoothie in a pouch or Ella's k-word fruit pouch too which makes me feel horribly guilty.

I'd like to replace these with homemade ones in reusable packaging. Does anyone have a recommendation for reusable sucky pouch thingos? Also the smoothies I buy in bulk and freeze and they are defrosted by the time he comes to eat it without being unpleasantly warm (cos who wants warm yoghurt!) if I do my own or just use some nice yoghurt in the pouch can I freeze that too?

Sorry mods my first post had the k- word :-(
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Re: Reducing waste in packed lunches - repost

Postby worrrrow » 03 Oct 2014, 13:18

You can get pouch type drinks bottles - we got one from a kids club on holiday. I have seen them in a supermarket but can't remember which one. Possibly sainsburys. I'm not sure how effective they would be but worth a punt?
worrrrow

Postby mamapup » 03 Oct 2014, 18:58

I just saw some reusable pouches somewhere, I suspect it was John Lewis as I don't think I've been anywhere else recently. Sigh.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby sabrina fair » 03 Oct 2014, 19:55

I've got a pouch from jojomamanbebe which's fine, but you kinda have to tip it to get stuff out because suck alone isn't enough. It works fine for monkeyboy but the baby wouldn't understand.

I've seen some pouches reviewed and recommended on the 'eats amazing' blog. She might even sell some - worth having a look.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Return to Reduce, Recycle, Re-use