preventing food waste

We're all in this together, remember, so while the world is collapsing around our ears it might be nice to have a place to talk about new-found frugalities and old-fashioned eco-living. And mooncups.

Re: preventing food waste

Postby sabrina fair » 30 Jan 2014, 20:53

PerpetualMadness wrote:Red cabbage and coconut milk. Bleurgh. That's almost as bad as banana ice cream! ;-P

But it goes pink! :D
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby PerpetualMadness » 30 Jan 2014, 20:56

I'm not easily swayed by pink! Purple on the other hand...

Red cabbage should be pickled and coconut belongs in cake. That is all.
PerpetualMadness

Postby EnigmaFish » 31 Jan 2014, 23:33

fourweewonders wrote:
EnigmaFish wrote:
For instance, did you know that parmesan will keep for a year if stored correctly? Neither did I.

I'd have to buy a block the size of a shetland pony to make it last a year in this house, i seem to have birthed four cheese feinds, r has been know to steal and consume full blocks at a time, oh says he hates it but eats it all the time in food without realising *mwah ha ha ha evil cheese villan laugh*

Can you buy cheese in blocks the size of ponies? That would be really useful.
We are also a household of cheese addicts. My wonderment at the Parmesan storage fact was partially that it could last so long without being eaten.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby FestiveTidings » 01 Feb 2014, 06:39

I'm in. My main nemesis is my mum! I tell her things are in the fridge for Roo to have at lunch or snacks (fruit mostly) and she doesn't give him it, preferring something else that day so it ends up going in the bin!

Plus I end up throwing out half eaten packets of this and that that she has bought and left festering in my fridge.

Still I should be able to have a tighter control on that once I start maternity leave. I'm not worried about food waste from plates as such, as we all have our hungry and bird days, it's just the amount getting chucked from the fridge that worries me. £10 worth of food last week!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby meerkatsmum » 01 Feb 2014, 10:14

I'm in. We're throwing out a whole free range chicken tonight. We've been meal planning and doing a big shop. Trouble is, if we stuff up and skip a meal we've planned, the meat might not make it. So I'm going to make sure I don't meal plan too many meat nights and also have the meat nights at the beginning of the week followed by 2-3 vegetarian nights.

Also fruit and leftovers. Leftovers will be okay when DH goes back to work as he'll take them for lunch. I also need to buy less fruit I think, and only the throngs we actually eat (we're so over apples!)
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby Marrow » 01 Feb 2014, 11:20

meerkatsmum wrote:I'm in. We're throwing out a whole free range chicken tonight. We've been meal planning and doing a big shop. Trouble is, if we stuff up and skip a meal we've planned, the meat might not make it. So I'm going to make sure I don't meal plan too many meat nights and also have the meat nights at the beginning of the week followed by 2-3 vegetarian nights.

Also fruit and leftovers. Leftovers will be okay when DH goes back to work as he'll take them for lunch. I also need to buy less fruit I think, and only the throngs we actually eat (we're so over apples!)

DH is the meal planner and cook in this household. He does it brilliantly, so I thought I'd suggest how we get a bit of flexibility: freezer meals. Every so often he cooks a batch of something, or makes burgers for the freezer. In the weekly plan there are always one or two of these meals. So if we end up out or whatever, the freezer meals stay in the freezer and everything else gets shuffled round.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby ChristmasGift » 03 Feb 2014, 22:23

Can I join....We used to waste loads but about a year ago I resolved to be better and we are but there's still a way to go.

My worst offence is bags of salad leaves. It's only me that eats them and I always end up throwing at least 1/3 bag away.
We used to be terrible with veggies but it's better now I cook most things from scratch. I also tend to shop for veg as and when I need it - we don't do a big shop very often anymore as that was always a recipe for waste.

Here's a nice red cabbage recipe - good for a lunchbox with a hunk of freshly made bread...
http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/red ... ate-salad/
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby mamapup » 04 Feb 2014, 19:01

Gonna look at these red cabbage recipes now as sadly it's use up red cabbage day. Ugh. Good thing I'm barely hungry in the evenings!

I like the idea of freezer meals although ours tend to come from Cook rather than be home cooked, mainly because I take most left overs for lunch. I'm very good at that, it's the not chucking veg away that we struggle with (and the end of hummus pots but I take no responsibility there as I don't even much like hummus anymore).

CG, agree re. salad bags too. They're hard to eat up, esp in the winter. I remember being horrified when they first introduced them but now I regularly buy them as the mix is lovely. Damn the supermarkets and their evil ways.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Marrow » 04 Feb 2014, 19:08

I may be well behind here, but do you seal your salad bags? Until a few months ago, we were folding them over a bit and putting them in the salad drawer, but it makes a massive difference if you clip the bag shut. Which you probably know already.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby mamapup » 04 Feb 2014, 20:07

Hmmm, I've just told Mr.c he's a dummy for something (as a joke) and now here I am as a dummy. Sealing the salad bags? Nope, never. Sort of assumed it was like other stuff that needed to be out of plastic so we left them open.

Just thrown out : brussel sprouts, half a red cabbage, some old cheese, bag of lettuce, one fig.and some mushy grapes. Hmmm not so impressed with us today. I shall focus on what we are using : broccoli, gnocchi and a.fresh pesto sauce I got for the puppy but realised he wouldn't eat as he ate loads at nursery today.

Fridge smells better but Mr.c is now blaming Abel and Cole rather than us and wants to cancel.our regular order damn it. I guess I could go to market shopping if he insists.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 04 Feb 2014, 20:23

We do A&C too MP and I've just cancelled our fruit box as we were chucking stuff out or forever eating almost gone off stuff whilst the fresh stuff waited to be almost gone off! I now just order apples + 1 other type of fruit. I also make sure there's one night unplanned so we have a buffer if don't get round to cooking one night and just have toast + tea etc. We also freeze some meat / fish when it arrives. My biggest problem is not having time to cook as much at the moment so veg goes to waste e.g. may plan to make soup for lunch but it's lunchtime before I get there so end up with dippy eggs and toast.
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby ChristmasGift » 04 Feb 2014, 20:26

Never sealed a salad bag in my life - will try that Marrow thanks for the tip!

Pesto - that's another one. I buy some when I fancy pasta pesto but I don't usually fancy it another 8 times in the next 2 weeks.
Mama to The Babs- Aug 2012
ChristmasGift

Postby StJuniper » 05 Feb 2014, 00:21

I could be wrong but I don't think salad is meant to be airtight (I assume we're talking undressed?) they mostly sell it in vented bags here. I usually wrap my greens in a piece of paper towel to keep them going slimy, but with too little humidity/cold (not a problem in my fridge) it goes limp...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Treeb » 05 Feb 2014, 03:05

Pesto can be frozen to be used later. Either freeze the whole tub of it, or freeze in an ice cube tray and then you can just use a few cubes at a time as you need it. I never have the problem of too much pesto here, though! I could eat pesto all day - on pasta, on cous cous, as sauce on pizza, spread on crackers, in a sandwich. Mmmm.

I think my biggest problem is forgetting about things in the freezer. I tend to freeze things if I know they aren't getting used, and I have gotten better at keeping track of what is there and using things from the freezer, but I still find random old freezer-burned things that just have to be thrown out.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby eterna » 05 Feb 2014, 03:20

Treeb wrote:I think my biggest problem is forgetting about things in the freezer. I tend to freeze things if I know they aren't getting used, and I have gotten better at keeping track of what is there and using things from the freezer, but I still find random old freezer-burned things that just have to be thrown out.

This is my problem too. We've just made it back to the bottom of the deep freeze and I found a huge salmon fillet that has got to be almost 2 years old. In my defense, my inlaws left it here and DH is allergic to fish so it's sort of hard for me to eat it, but oh well, in the garbage it goes. I also just tried to give DS some old peanut butter/ flaxseed cookies that I made from a recipe on the forum back when DD was still in the early weaning days...he wouldn't touch it and then I gave it a bite and bleurgh! So freezer burned!

I'm much better now with fruit and veggies since I got a juicer as I just bung them in there if they are starting to go soggy. Also I splurged on Tupperware Fridgesmart containers that let you choose how much ventilation the stuff gets and they really work; I can keep mushrooms for almost a month now and lettuce doesn't go liquidy for weeks.

We're still bad with leftovers as DH regularly forgets to take them to work - or he leaves them in his car, or on his desk, or in his work fridge for weeks before I realize I'm missing the container...
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

PreviousNext

Return to Reduce, Recycle, Re-use