preventing food waste

We're all in this together, remember, so while the world is collapsing around our ears it might be nice to have a place to talk about new-found frugalities and old-fashioned eco-living. And mooncups.

preventing food waste

Postby mamapup » 29 Jan 2014, 22:05

Mr.C and I have become really.lazy about using food in the fridge. We used to be so.disciplined about waste but in the last year or so we have totally stopped.even trying. Today I gingerly suggested we correct this and he jumped at the idea. So we are officially no longer wasting food.

Anyone else care to join?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Re: preventing food waste

Postby PerpetualMadness » 29 Jan 2014, 22:08

I made fish cakes yesterday to freeze instead of throwing out the salmon that was heading out of date and chopped up the soft peppers to put in the bolognese.

I'm trying.
PerpetualMadness

Postby catkin » 29 Jan 2014, 22:32

I think we need to get the children serving themselves food. Our biggest waster is when we guess how much they want based on how much they ate yesterday and it turns out they only wanted three crumbs.
We're pretty good on using up leftovers as lunches. And Mr K's quite good at creatively cooking with whatever's in the fridge. We do have a couple of things we regularly buy and forget - cauliflowers because they live in the cupboard not in the fridge and Mr K doesn't like them much, and melons because they keep being on 2-for-1 but we only really want 1, and also we tend to grab for fruit in the fruit bowl rather than thinking to get out a knife. I hereby resolve to remember to eat melon.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby StJuniper » 29 Jan 2014, 23:03

Yes to the child's servings, P is forever eating half of what I give him. My nemesis is always special ingredients; if I'm buying a specialty item, I need to plan two meals that use it so it doesn't go moldy in the fridge. Also need to start baking bread again so I don't buy huge fresh loaves that go stale in the cupboard.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby EnigmaFish » 29 Jan 2014, 23:45

I use a great website called www.stilltasty.com. Many fresh items can be frozen, and stilltasty will not only tell you how to freeze them properly but how long they should actually remain fresh.

For instance, did you know that parmesan will keep for a year if stored correctly? Neither did I.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby mamapup » 30 Jan 2014, 06:55

Melons, mangos and pineapple! The bane of our fruitbowl. So.delicious and then so wasted. And yes, special I ingredients are infuriating.

We.currently have one and a half red.cabbages in the fridge. Ugh.

I admit that we threw out some black salsify last night because Abel and Cole.sent it round and we.both think it is the most disgusting thing on the planet so couldn't start our resolve with it in the fridge.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby sabrina fair » 30 Jan 2014, 10:33

I'm in! And the mention of red cabbage reminds me that we have one in the fridge...we have a lovely recipe where you cook it in spices and coconut milk.

Apart from that, we're terrible for letting open jars or tubs.disappear into the top shelf of the fridge. Annoyingly it's often nice things like olives or artichokes. Will just have to eat them when I see them!
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby ToothFairy » 30 Jan 2014, 13:16

sabrina fair wrote:I'm in! And the mention of red cabbage reminds me that we have one in the fridge...we have a lovely recipe where you cook it in spices and coconut milk.

Recipe please! I got a red cabbage yesterday and want something yummy to do with it.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby mamapup » 30 Jan 2014, 13:30

I always try and persuade people to make ottolenghi's red cabbage coleslaw when they have one. I posted the recipe a while back. Amazing.

mamapup

Postby Sallie » 30 Jan 2014, 13:52

EnigmaFish wrote:.

For instance, did you know that parmesan will keep for a year if stored correctly? Neither did I.

we keep finely grated parmesan in the freezer and just use it frozen. The bits are so small it just defrosts once it hits whatever you put it on.

Also need to start baking bread again so I don't buy huge fresh loaves that go stale in the cupboard.

I freeze bread too - slice it and bung it in. Making sandwiches with frozen bread is easy and they defrost by lunchtime if you do them at breakfast. It toasts well too. Admittedly it's a bit annoying if you want some there and then but if you lay it out it defrosts very quickly.
Mum to BabyCob, born October 2010 and Babybel, born September 2013
Sallie

Postby sabrina fair » 30 Jan 2014, 15:11

ToothFairy wrote:
sabrina fair wrote:I'm in! And the mention of red cabbage reminds me that we have one in the fridge...we have a lovely recipe where you cook it in spices and coconut milk.

Recipe please! I got a red cabbage yesterday and want something yummy to do with it.

Your wish is my command :D .

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51237

I've just made it and it smells delicious.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby Treeb » 30 Jan 2014, 18:27

I need to get back to making my own bread too. Annoyingly, dh hardly seems to eat it when I make it so I end up eating most of a loaf myself. (Whereas if he buys a loaf of horrible processed white flour "sandwich bread" he will eat plenty of it.) I guess I need to get in the habit of making it, then freezing half the loaf.

I always was letting melons, pineapple, etc. go to waste too but recently I've started freezing any "extra" fruit we have around. I cut it in small-ish pieces, lay it out on a sheet of waxed paper on a tray so it doesn't stick together. Once it is frozen I throw it in a freezer bag or other container. L likes to snack on frozen melon, apple, and pear slices. We also make smoothies at least once a week, so a lot of it gets used up that way.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Mummyto1 » 30 Jan 2014, 18:51

People who are talking about baking their own bread - you have to try the artisan 5 minute bread recipe, it's amazing! It has revolutionised home bread making for me (all of three weeks ago!).

You make the dough then store in the fridge for up to two weeks and pull out a bit to stick in the oven whenever you need. We've had no waste since doing it and fresh bread on tap, as it makes the perfect size loaf to last a day or two. Will come back with a link to the recipe I use in a bit....
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby PerpetualMadness » 30 Jan 2014, 19:50

Red cabbage and coconut milk. Bleurgh. That's almost as bad as banana ice cream! ;-P
PerpetualMadness

Postby fourweewonders » 30 Jan 2014, 20:11

EnigmaFish wrote:

I'd have to buy a block the size of a shetland pony to make it last a year in this house, i seem to have birthed four cheese feinds, r has been know to steal and consume full blocks at a time, oh says he hates it but eats it all the time in food without realising *mwah ha ha ha evil cheese villan laugh*
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Next

Return to Reduce, Recycle, Re-use