AF and mooncup woes

We're all in this together, remember, so while the world is collapsing around our ears it might be nice to have a place to talk about new-found frugalities and old-fashioned eco-living. And mooncups.

AF and mooncup woes

Postby TravellingMum » 04 Dec 2013, 05:26

I love my mooncup. I really do. I think it is amazing.
But the past few months, every month after AF leaves... i am left with thrush.
This month I have gone back to pads (sob sob) to see if it makes a difference.

I know it is impossible that the mooncup is giving me thrush, and yet, somehow it is following a pattern.

What to do?!

Last month I boiled it for ages first to see if it would make a difference, but it didn't I still got thrush.
Mum to Little Panda and Wee Monkey
TravellingMum

Re: AF and mooncup woes

Postby Singale » 04 Dec 2013, 05:31

Do you use it overnight? Maybe you could try not using over night (in sterilising solution, or douse with boiling water before it's stored in closed & sterilised container)?
Tigerle's mum since Sept 2010
And now Pferdle's as well since July 2014
Singale

Postby junglewonderland » 04 Dec 2013, 05:48

TM, I just did the same trial. No mooncup for a month. It worked. No thrush. I don't know whether to be happy or sad!
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby TravellingMum » 07 Dec 2013, 07:22

So JW - what's the answer?!
Seems to me there has to be a link between the two. Here I am almost finished AF and I can feel it is different.
It is great I don't have to take any meds this time to get rid of thrush, but yes now this looks like the end of me and the mooncup :(
TravellingMum

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 07 Dec 2013, 08:17

I'd contact the mooncup folks and ask if they have any advice.....
{{{JW & TM}}}
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby fourweewonders » 07 Dec 2013, 08:51

Could the hormones be causing the thrush to bloom.

I only say this because its commen in ibs for suffers to feel worse around during their period and this has been blamed on the hormonal effect on gut flora

ive twice suddenly had thrush in the days before i went into labour
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby CherryPop » 07 Dec 2013, 09:04

Argh this is interestingly timely - I've just had my very first bout of thrush (go me! I've had it in the boobs before, but never down below) and just as I finished treatment, AF arrived. I had an odd non-period (I have PCOS) a month ago, where I had all the PMT symptoms and some not-even-quite-spotting but that was it. And now I seem to be having the period from hell - I was up every 2 hours during the night as my cup runneth over (which never happens) and I'm now worrying that I shouldn't be using the cup at all if I've just had thrush!

Any thoughts? I'm obviously keen not to have thrush again but ordinarily I'd be feeling annoyed at the thought of not using my mooncup, but right now I don't feel like it's doing its job anyway! So if tampons are the way to go this time round, so be it.

Help!
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby junglewonderland » 07 Dec 2013, 09:26

(CP) maybe give tampons a go to see how they cope with the heavy flow. Mooncup it up next month?
junglewonderland

Postby Lioncub's mama » 07 Dec 2013, 10:05

I used a mooncup for a few months a few years ago and got thrush every month i used it - i don't normally (i had to stop as it wasn't compatible with my endometriosis and extreme heavy flow). So it certainly sounds like there could be a connection for some people :?
Lioncub (P) - August 2011
Baby brother (E) - December 2013
Lioncub's mama

Postby TravellingMum » 07 Dec 2013, 16:28

Yes so weird.
When at home it looks like I need to stock up on tampons :(
I just emailed them to ask what to do... so let's see what the response is.

It's nice to know I am not alone in this though!
TravellingMum

Postby aliantha » 08 Dec 2013, 20:52

I had that happen a few years ago, and I stopped using it for months. When I got fed up of pads and 'pons, I cut off what was left of the stem and stopped washing it in antibac hand soap before boiling it (in hindsight, this was a stupid thing to do but it seemed to make sense at the time), and I've never had any further problems.

I hope the Mooncup people are helpful.
DD - Oct '11
aliantha

Postby junglewonderland » 08 Dec 2013, 23:15

I never had probs for the first 6 months I used it! Maybe because I boiled rather than put in Milton, and never used soap on it then? When I'm feeling brave I'll have another go.
junglewonderland

Postby busmother » 10 Dec 2013, 10:22

I had this once, and without analysing it very carefully, I wondered if it might be the soap, so if I haven't been doing anything too mucky recently I just rinse my hands before I put it in, and if I do wash them with soap, I make sure I rinse them really well. Be interesting to hear what Mooncup say.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby CherryPop » 10 May 2014, 12:42

Just resurrecting this to see if anyone who was suffering came up with an answer? AF appeared last weekend, and on day 2, up popped the thrush symptoms :(.

I didn't fancy using a pessary whilst everything else was going on (plus it was very heavy so don't think it would have been effective) but I had some of the external cream left from last time so have been using that, but I'm now on day 7 and AF is still here (usually only 5 days or less) and I feel like the itching is worse?

Any suggestions? What else can I try? Shall I go and get a pessary?

Argh :(
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby junglewonderland » 10 May 2014, 13:46

(((CP))), if there is anything worse than AF, it's thrush, and together? You deserve a mighty big medal for continuing to function with that combo. If I were you I would trundle off to the pharmacy and ask what to do. And come home with a massive jar of probiotics. I hope it (they) are over soon!

How timely this thread pops up (pardon the pun!). I have been thinking of it, and TM recently because....I have had two months in a row now of using my mooncup and staying thrush free! It was the soap. I don't wash it with soap anymore, and I boil it instead of disinfecting. Does any of that apply to you, CP?
junglewonderland

Next

Return to Reduce, Recycle, Re-use