budgetting tips

We're all in this together, remember, so while the world is collapsing around our ears it might be nice to have a place to talk about new-found frugalities and old-fashioned eco-living. And mooncups.

Postby Morlyte » 13 Jul 2008, 19:29

We spend around £120 a week too (2 adults, 1 child, 1 dog, 1 cat & fish), its recently gone up by about £30 and we dont buy anything different, its just down to price rises in the foods we buy. We have 1 dog, 1 cat, we buy 1 pack of nappies a month (we do cloth but have dispossies as a back up) and everything is home made. We dont go out though so our luxuries are in our food although we dont buy alcohol.

Saying that my dp always has a 12 pack of Red Bull (£10) added to the shopping list, we spend about £12 on dog food, £7 on cat food/litter. I think our biggest expense is the meat, I do buy some from a local butcher but they freeze all of their meat and it doesnt keep for longer than 2 days which puts me right off!! We've just cancelled our veg box and now buy from a new farm shop that has opened locally and they are very reasonably priced as most stuff is grown on their own farm.

We've started to buy things like loo roll and kitchen roll in big packs and they tend to last much longer.

No matter how much I try, I cant the bill lower than £100 anymore. :/
Morlyte

Postby blossom » 13 Jul 2008, 21:09

Wow, some amazing tips.
I think maybe we drink too much alcohol or something - not sure. But we are spending way too much money on shopping each week.
We don't even have very exciting meals to show for it!
blossom

Postby luca'smum » 14 Jul 2008, 08:55

We also spend about £80 a week on groceries. I buy meat from the butcher or Waitrose/M&S and take advantage of offers or reduced items that are coming to the end of the use by date and pop them in the freezer at home. We have a guy who comes round once every month or so and sells fish, seafood, lovely fish cakes etc. so I tend to buy in bulk from him and freeze it. I know the bills stay high because of wine and DH's sports energy drinks, but also because we do eat a huge amount of fresh fruit and veg every day. We used to get a vegetable box but I cancelled it, there was just too much waste so I try to buy at a local farm shop now.
L (28/04/07)
J (27/02/10-22/01/11)

http://www.frogsandsprogs.com
luca'smum

Postby Rebelmum » 18 Jul 2008, 12:13

I'm somewhat :oops: to admit I used to have a right giggle at all those "frugal living" websites with their tips of how to save money, and while many of them really do go to extremes that I thankfully don't need to, I've come to see that watching how much you spend, and what you spend it on, is A Good Thing.

For months now, I've been doing menu planning for each week and it has saved us loads, we're probably down about a third of what we used to spend. And because I only do 1 big shop a week, I save on petrol as I'm not driving so much. I walk to the local farm shop whenever we need fresh fruit or veg. Another benefit has been that we are def. eating more healthily, as I sit down an plan what we're going to have over a whole week, so I make sure we have a couple of vegetarian meals, meat only once or twice, at least 1 fish meal and a good balance of pasta/potatoes/rice.

I've gone from being totally anti-planning to being a real fan!!
RebelMum to Henry born 5/3/07
Rebelmum

Postby AB&M » 18 Jul 2008, 12:51

I would do meal planning too if I was the chef but DH is and he likes to be spontaneous. i do meal plan for Bruno though!
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Previous

Return to Reduce, Recycle, Re-use