charity shop bargins

We're all in this together, remember, so while the world is collapsing around our ears it might be nice to have a place to talk about new-found frugalities and old-fashioned eco-living. And mooncups.

charity shop bargins

Postby fourweewonders » 20 Jan 2011, 21:05

I know theres a few bargin hunters on here, and also quite a few ladies that just plain prefer second hand because it better for the environment, cheaper, contributes to a good cause etc etc.

I though i'd just share todays lovely finds, i got e a lush zara navy pea coat that someone had bunged in a charity bag as a button had come off, it had the spare still inside, it cost me £2 and took me 30 seconds to fix. Madness!!!

I also got 2 brand new boots baby vests still in the packaging for £1, that are going into a nappycake for a friend.

B found him self a boxed set of 9 picture books for another £1. Then spent a further pound on a long sleaved green and pink polka dot next tee for e, i may keep as is i may applique some cute creature type on the front a la boden.

So for a five pound note i came home with my shopping basket full of goodies, i was just kicking myself that my friend spotted an awsome marble run for 1.25 before me.

Feel free to share your bargin boasts too.
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Re: charity shop bargins

Postby Heidi » 20 Jan 2011, 21:14

Yay, I love bargains!
Have to admit I never look at clothes in the charity shops, just toys and books. Today I got 10 kids books for £1 (not the we needed any more :oops: ) and 4 chick-lit novels for me for £1.60
My best ever bargains are a MASSIVE bin bag of duplo for £10 and 6 Bob the Builder toys (the big ones) for 50p each - Wohoo!
Thom May 07 and Kiera Sept 09 - I don't really have an excuse to be here still!!

Would you like to start your own business, earn some extra money or enjoy a new challenge? If so please contact me,

http://www.phoenix-trading.co.uk/web/heidiwadsworth
Heidi

Postby PerpetualMadness » 20 Jan 2011, 21:21

I LOVE charity shops for clothes. The next village along from us is quite posh and the charity shops are full of bargains. My best ones include a bnwt per una skirt for £5 and a fleece lined togz muddy puddles suit for £3! I've got 3 other per una skirts that were charity shop bargains, a coat and my last two handbags.
PerpetualMadness

Postby skip » 20 Jan 2011, 21:37

:D :D Bargainous loveliness!!

I usually hit the bootsales in spring/summer, as our charity shops are getting more expensive, but I did pick up some brand spanky new Miss Selfridge jeans a while back for £4 - they were even petite ones, which is perfect for me.

My favourite charity shop is the Red Cross books and music store - blissful. They even stock a little corner of old sci fi (Asimov, Bradbury etc). :)

Got some brand new canvas shoes in one in Chichester too for £2. Love it. I can't believe the things people chuck out sometimes.

If you can sew at all, then don't worry about sizing - as long as it's your size or larger, most things can be made to fit with the seams taken in - especially skirts. M and I were clothed last year in pretty much all bootsale finds!
skip

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 20 Jan 2011, 21:44

The charity shops here aren't all that great, disappointingly.

My mum has a couple of gems near her - the kind of places that don't know what they've got and sell everything really cheap. Her very best find was a Tripp Trapp highchair for £6 (apologies if I've posted that befpre, I probably have!).
Mum to two gorgeous girls and one bouncing baby boy.
gingerbreadhouse

Postby blackberrycrimble » 20 Jan 2011, 21:54

Ours aren't that great and I don't go in them much as I buy things we don't need (I know they are cheap things, but they take up space...), but the best I got was an old-style Trivial Pursuit Game (the one we played as children with questions written in the 80s so many are now wrong and about east germany etc - love it) for about a pound.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Postby robyn » 20 Jan 2011, 21:57

I LOVE charity shops!

the trick is to shop in the ones in affluent areas...

my best finds have been a maclaren buggy in almost perfect nick for £10, an old but recently done up (brand new tyres/breaks/gears) ladies raleigh bike for £12 and just the other day I got a maxi micro scooter - the big kid version of a mini micro for £10

we've got countless books for pennies, and I once got a whole bag full of trouses which m has been wearing for ages for 25p a pair :D

oh and duplo percy - m's fav xmas present was 49p in banardos!
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby Disco » 20 Jan 2011, 22:35

I love charity shops too. :)

I got a smashing home knitted jumper before christmas, perfect size and lovely soft wool
And in the last few months I've gotten four great coloured/patterned duvet covers and sheets which have gone straight to my sewing stash for £2 odds.

There are five charity shops quite near me which is great, but the only downside is that I'm in a fairly poor area so LOADS of the clothes are from primark, which I cannot bring myself to buy even second hand as the quality is so awful. I really should get the train to the other side of town and try the posh ones!

hmm trying to think of other recent bargains...
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby robyn » 20 Jan 2011, 22:44

Heidi wrote:My best ever bargains are a MASSIVE bin bag of duplo for £10 and 6 Bob the Builder toys (the big ones) for 50p each - Wohoo!

oooh yes! we've got bob the builder toys and duplo super cheap too! Oh how I love charity shop shopping :D
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby camper » 21 Jan 2011, 05:28

How funny - just today we had a look round a massive charity shop near here that I've never made it to before. So my bargain boasts for today are a set of Remington ceramic hair straighteners for $10 and a whisk (one of the big chunky metal ones where you turn the handle to spin the two whisk things) which they chucked in for free. There was also a really cool retro typewriter for $8 but as we were walking I just couldn't cope with carrying it all the way home in the heat!
camper

Postby KatGoldLIN » 21 Jan 2011, 05:52

Both our charity shops and boot sales are pricey. I was in the other day look for t-shirts to make tights for G and seriously nothing for less than £4! I have a felted jumper quilt tgat I've had to abandon because i can't find wooly jumpers for less than £10. Stirling isn't affluent, but has an affluent hinterland + lots of students, so it does tend to be nice stuff donated that sells v quickly.

I did once find a bumbo fir £3 that eventually I sold on eBay for £20!
Kat
Mum to E 02/04/2007, G 26/03/2010 and T 30/03/2011
KatGoldLIN

Postby Disco » 21 Jan 2011, 07:37

katgold wrote:Both our charity shops and boot sales are pricey. I was in the other day look for t-shirts to make tights for G and seriously nothing for less than £4! I have a felted jumper quilt tgat I've had to abandon because i can't find wooly jumpers for less than £10.

:scream :scream :scream I never remember being that impressed by them as a teenager but I don't remember them being so expensive. Oh my!
You'll need to come stock up in glasgow!
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby Svea » 21 Jan 2011, 07:51

i usually check out toys and kids clothes in the charity shops, i have long since given up finding things for me. but then i generally dont buy many clothes for myself, even new (and my wardrobe shows that :oops: ) i just dont enjoy it.

i love FARA charity shops for kids stuff, they have some shops just dedicated to children's items. bought a virtually new john lewis woolen coat with embroidery for M a few years back, retails at £40, bought for £4. also bought lots of toys (lego primo, ITNG etc) for tuppence in the past.

i once found a phil and ted sport (with doubles kit etc) in really good nick (only the shopping basket underneath slightly ripped, as they all do going up and down kerbs/steps) for £130!!! i didnt need it but couldnt leave it there. sold it on to my friend who had been looking for one on ebay where they cost around £250 to £300, and much more still new.
Mama to M since 02/10/07, P since 08/03/10 and O 07/06/13
Svea

Postby fourweewonders » 21 Jan 2011, 08:43

The best one i've found is on the back streets where a lot of parents park to collect their kids from the local private schools, always loads of pumpkin patch, boden and monsoon turning up in there but i think word has got out, as they've jacked the prices up.

B knows now that he can get almost anything out of me in the charity shop though.
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby KatGoldLIN » 21 Jan 2011, 08:58

nurseymum wrote:
B knows now that he can get almost anything out of me in the charity shop though.

yeah...I'm a sucker too. we now have a very strict policy that if E wants something (usually a small car) he has to donate one in return...

DC - Helensburgh and St Andrews are my fav places to charity shop and there is one on Dunblane High Street that obviously the whole of the village donates to, but the women who run it have NO IDEA what to do with the stuff.
Kat
Mum to E 02/04/2007, G 26/03/2010 and T 30/03/2011
KatGoldLIN

Next

Return to Reduce, Recycle, Re-use